Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 07:05 AM

4 posts, read 7,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowBar View Post
It is probably dependent on the location, size of the medical facility, and number of patients they serve. I am in San Antonio. We have plenty of military medical facilities here, but also lots of active duty and retired military members (and their families) to use those facilities. When I first retired I was using the military medical facilities, and it was difficult to get appointments. Based on that, I got approval to switch to a civilian (off base) Primary Care Manager. That certainly was a big improvement as far as being able to get appointments in a timely manner. But for a few reasons I decided to switch back to the military system a couple of years back. It has really improved (here), and I have no problem at all getting an appointment whenever I want.
Hi Towbar,

We're looking to move to San Antonio, and I was wondering what that might mean for my husband who is a 100% disabled Vet. We're in Owasso, Oklahoma and he's been getting wonderful care from the VA clinic in Tulsa. He's a Coumadin patient, so it's sometime an every two week blood draw. Would we have an issue getting him the care he needs? Or could you direct me to someone or some place where I could ask questions? Thank you for your service and time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 06:09 AM

37,672 posts, read 61,759,534 times
We returned stateside after I retired in 2001. We lived near a Navy base the first few years. Going on-base for medical need was horrible. We could not get appointments. Retirees had to sit in the waiting room and wait. If I sat all day and into the evening the on-duty HM corpsman that night would see me.

In 2005 we moved to Maine [far away from all US military bases] now we can go to any doctor, any clinic, any hospital. They all accept Tricare. And we are seen by MD doctors.

Tricare Prime here is called 'Martins Point' and the medical community seems to prefer it over Medicare.

Old 07-20-2020, 04:21 PM

12,068 posts, read 10,355,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowBar View Post
It is probably dependent on the location, size of the medical facility, and number of patients they serve. I am in San Antonio. We have plenty of military medical facilities here, but also lots of active duty and retired military members (and their families) to use those facilities. When I first retired I was using the military medical facilities, and it was difficult to get appointments. Based on that, I got approval to switch to a civilian (off base) Primary Care Manager. That certainly was a big improvement as far as being able to get appointments in a timely manner. But for a few reasons I decided to switch back to the military system a couple of years back. It has really improved (here), and I have no problem at all getting an appointment whenever I want.
I tried to use Lackland but was not happy with the appointment setup. Maybe I didn't give them enough chances.

So I just go to a regular doctor that takes TriCare. Same with pharmacy.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:23 PM

14,302 posts, read 14,906,861 times
The few retired military people I know all use Tricare and are happy with it and we are near a very large military base, Fort Jackson

Old 07-21-2020, 07:48 PM

2,878 posts, read 2,084,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I tried to use Lackland but was not happy with the appointment setup. Maybe I didn't give them enough chances.

So I just go to a regular doctor that takes TriCare. Same with pharmacy.
I thought Wilford Hall was replaced by a huge outpatient clinic? I worked stat chemistry from ‘77 to ‘80 when it still was a 1,000 bed teaching hospital. I really enjoyed my time there. It was phenomenal.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:50 AM

5,780 posts, read 4,792,745 times
I've used TRICARE Select for the last two years. No monthly premiums and I get to choose my doctors.

Old 07-22-2020, 03:10 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,748,672 times
Since original post was 2017, lots of things have changed regarding retirees use of base medical facilities. The effort to restrict use was moving pretty fast, but from what I've heard it slowed down a bit.

Here is one article.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...-families.html

Worth your while to research particular areas before moving and relying on old information.

Old 07-22-2020, 05:24 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,083,339 times
Sort of on the topic. I will be retiring from active duty soon and there are no bases nearby so health care at a base is not an option. Per the "find a Tricare plan" link, I can enroll in either TRICARE Select or US Family Health Plan(also Martins Point in the state I am moving to).

While I know plans receive different receptions at different places, which would you go with for a single late 40s person in need of continuous prescription refills? It looks like USFHP has the overall price advantage and its ease of use looks similiar to what I am used to now on active duty(just with costs for visits). Am I missing something major, or is that about it?

Old 07-23-2020, 07:28 AM

5,780 posts, read 4,792,745 times
We use TRICARE Select due to being a distance away from a good military healthcare facility. My wife uses Express Scripts for long term refills. https://militaryrx.express-scripts.com/

Old 07-26-2020, 12:59 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,083,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
We use TRICARE Select due to being a distance away from a good military healthcare facility. My wife uses Express Scripts for long term refills. https://militaryrx.express-scripts.com/

Thanks. Seems to be pros and cons with each.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues