Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 05:08 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times

Advertisements

I don't understand the question, I suppose.

I served in the military. I also do taxes.

My home of record while in the Navy was Florida...but I had a driver's license showing proof of residency. I didn't own any property, or drive a car, so I had no car registrations to deal with.

For the posters that have said that they lived in other states, and had property, did you also have a car registration in those states? Or in your "home of record"?

Having property, car registrations, driver's licenses, etc. in a state DOES make you a resident of that state for tax purposes. It also applies when you want to demonstrate "residency" for in-state tuition, by the way.

Let's put it this way. Should the state ever want to collect tax from you, you would have to "prove" that you lived in another state. The concept is called "tax home".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 10:30 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,908 times
Kramer, sorry but you're wrong.

Military member's may claim residency in either their home of record state or any state they live in. My home of record is Iowa. For the longest time I paid Iowa taxes, until I moved to Washington which has no state taxes. I filled out a quick form with my admin and bingo, no more state taxes.

Technically, military doesn't have to register their vehicles in the state they reside. They can have them registered in their home state. I live in Washington, but I could get Iowa tags for my car. It's the way the military works. We are ordered to go where we go. It's just one advantage.

We can also get in state tuition regardless of how long we have lived in the state. We just show military orders proving we were ordered to that state. I have done it in every state I have lived.

Regular tax laws don't always apply to military.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:01 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Even though I owned a house in Virginia while in the Navy I legally maintained my residency in NY excluding me from paying Virginia Taxes. Now this also meant that I had to vote absentee ballot for NY because if I registered to vote in VA then I would have become a resident. If I had held a second job from a local buisness/employer that income would have been elible for taxing by VA>

Old 10-03-2008, 02:03 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't understand the question, I suppose.

I served in the military. I also do taxes.

My home of record while in the Navy was Florida...but I had a driver's license showing proof of residency. I didn't own any property, or drive a car, so I had no car registrations to deal with.

For the posters that have said that they lived in other states, and had property, did you also have a car registration in those states? Or in your "home of record"?

Having property, car registrations, driver's licenses, etc. in a state DOES make you a resident of that state for tax purposes. It also applies when you want to demonstrate "residency" for in-state tuition, by the way.

Let's put it this way. Should the state ever want to collect tax from you, you would have to "prove" that you lived in another state. The concept is called "tax home".

Owning a car, house or have a licence does not force you to become a resident of the state your stationed in. Only changing your state of residence or registering to vote can do that.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Kramer, sorry but you're wrong.

Military member's may claim residency in either their home of record state or any state they live in. My home of record is Iowa. For the longest time I paid Iowa taxes, until I moved to Washington which has no state taxes. I filled out a quick form with my admin and bingo, no more state taxes.

Technically, military doesn't have to register their vehicles in the state they reside. They can have them registered in their home state. I live in Washington, but I could get Iowa tags for my car. It's the way the military works. We are ordered to go where we go. It's just one advantage.

We can also get in state tuition regardless of how long we have lived in the state. We just show military orders proving we were ordered to that state. I have done it in every state I have lived.

Regular tax laws don't always apply to military.
Luke, I agree with you on one point...that you can have your car registered in your "home state". You don't have to get a new license either. But if you demonstrate RESIDENCY in another state, that is your "tax home". I've been doing taxes for years.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:19 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Luke, I agree with you on one point...that you can have your car registered in your "home state". You don't have to get a new license either. But if you demonstrate RESIDENCY in another state, that is your "tax home". I've been doing taxes for years.
Then how do I, and just about every military member I know pay taxes for their home state? Actually I don't anymore because I moved to a state where there is no state income tax.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:12 AM

Like I said, I did also. My DL was from the state, and I had no cars or property in any other state. Nothing to establish "residency".

I said, "IF they wanted to push it, they could."

Old 10-20-2008, 01:32 PM

433 posts, read 532,257 times
I'm with ESFP regarding where you enlisted--now, another question, since this guy (the BIL) is an OFFICER, does that throw any sh.t into the game?

Old 10-20-2008, 01:45 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bound2TN View Post
I'm with ESFP regarding where you enlisted--now, another question, since this guy (the BIL) is an OFFICER, does that throw any sh.t into the game?
Not really.

I have been stationed many places and owned homes.

None of that effected my home-of-record, nor made me pay income taxes.

If I was an officer, it would have been the same.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:37 PM

1 posts, read 6,701 times
I think turbo tax just wanted my daughter in law to file a state form so they could charge her $34.95 since she had no income from the state of Georgia. She said they told her if you work there OR live there you must file a state tax form. I think she is confused and ended up submitting a state form for nothing. No geogia income, no refund, no tax due. Pretty strange.
I think my earlier question got dropped. My question was, if my son's home state is Alaska why would his wife have to file a state return for income she earned in the first 4 months of 2008 when they all lived in Alaska. She has not earned anything in GA, but turbo tax told her to file and called her a resident because the apartment is in her name. I think she is very confused. They are military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues