Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 06:50 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,403,376 times

Advertisements

That was my goal today, to look up some of the places to see if they still remained.. never got to it I know Haiga Sophia is there and also Charlemagne's church and palace at Aachen are there...that is one place on my "list" of places to see before I die!! In fact, that would be a good topic.. "Place to See Beore You Die!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 08:54 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
I saw SECRET 8mm GERMAN footage of the aftermath of the failed DIEPPE. All the bodies of Canadian soldiers floating in the sea by the beach as the waves came in. I could read the unit they were in. My unit patch insignia was "Royal Hamilton Light Infantry" RHLI. Prisoners with hands on their heads were prodded with bayonets by the German soldiers who were laughing as they walked along side the troops. I have memorys of WW11 and Korea, don't need to watch no Military channel Stefhen.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:19 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,403,376 times
Steve, I won't insult you by saying.."I know how you feel" because I don't..Only soldiers who have lived it can ever really know.
I can imagine, though, that watching those events can bring back some powerful memories.
I think it is important for later generations to see it and perhaps try to understand what war and polotics are all about.
Thank you for your Service

Old 03-26-2008, 08:31 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
TRUDEYROSE; Thankyou for understanding my post. It was NOT meant as a DOWNER or to be NEGATIVE in any way. You were correct in stateing that it is neccessary for many people to be able to read about the happenings of war and its cosequences. I saw the footage, which was (classified so to speak) and that type of footage is never revealed to the public as a whole. Their are many like myself who have witnessed death in large numbers (Korea,Viet Nam) and generally keep the memorys to themselves. This is the first time that I have mentioned the film in over 60 yrs. Yes, the HISTORY channel is a good idea as it will enlighten many of its veiwers with past history that may not have been written in a book. Regards, Stefhen

Old 03-26-2008, 11:14 PM

76 posts, read 262,815 times
War is an ugly thing, and not to be taken lightly by anyone for any reason. The soldiers know that lesson all too well.

The best way to prevent them is through education and understanding. Those documentaries and devoted channels help with that, and entertain to boot.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:20 AM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
We love it. Watch it all the time. One great one was the annual Army Best Ranger competition. Awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues