Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 09:13 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,798,538 times

Advertisements

Brief background about me:
  • Bachelor's degree, Government/Political Science, GPA 3.3-3.4 (this is combining community college and university GPAs)
  • Received Bachelor's on full-tuition academic scholarship
  • Master's degree, Urban Planning/Community Development from top 40 national university (which is top 10 public university), GPA: 3.8-3.9
  • Thesis: Park-and-Ride lots within context of regional transportation management
  • Received numerous very small fellowships during Master's program
  • Work experience primarily in state and municipal governments in two different states
  • Project management experience in public sector, responsible as such for downtown redevelopment project and a City-managed commercial center
  • Well-traveled internationally, even having lived in Australia, New Zealand, and Netherlands by my own choice for brief stints (working holiday visas or education visa)
  • No prior military service
  • I did have job for 2.5 months that allowed me to have access to some Navy and Marine bases, as I worked for military contractor (but I left job because work environment was extremely toxic and high-turnover).

Obviously, I would still need to take the ASVAB and any OAR, OQT, or any other officer-qualifying exam I'd need to take, respective of branch.

The branches I'm most interested in are Air Force and Navy; particularly, AF Reserve or Navy Reserve. However, I understand these branches have the most competitive application processes for OCS.

I welcome any advice and honest thoughts you can send my way. If I choose to enlist, as well as apply for OCS, I'd be doing this within the next 12-18 months. Thank you.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 06-25-2017 at 09:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 09:33 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I welcome any advice and honest thoughts you can send my way. If I choose to enlist, as well as apply for OCS, I'd be doing this within the next 12-18 months. Thank you.
What is not available now, may be available next month...

Why are you delaying? "within the next 12-18 months."? You need to get in action now...

Good luck!

Old 06-25-2017, 12:07 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,059,903 times
Poncho, I was curious so I clicked on the U.S. Air Force - Officer link -- it says there are 4 ways to enter, but for the first (which seems most applicable to the OP), "Attend Officer Training School after earning college or postgraduate degree," there is no "Find Out More" link; the other 3 paths DO have a "Find Out More" link. (I tried it in different browsers with the same results.)

Old 06-25-2017, 04:33 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,159 times
OP. Just FWIW

If OCS is really calling you, as in calling you, then find out the requirements to apply. Do not put too much worry as to how competitive you might be at this time.

If you meet the requirements, then submit what is needed and let them decide if you are competitive. Then go from there.

Needs of the service change and what may be competitive changes. So if that is what you feel compelled to do, then put your best foot forward. But be aware a military officer career can be about as toxic and high turnover as it gets

Old 06-25-2017, 09:54 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Poncho, I was curious so I clicked on the U.S. Air Force - Officer link -- it says there are 4 ways to enter, but for the first (which seems most applicable to the OP), "Attend Officer Training School after earning college or postgraduate degree," there is no "Find Out More" link; the other 3 paths DO have a "Find Out More" link. (I tried it in different browsers with the same results.)
It does not have the "Find Out More" but it does say "See Steps below for more information." and goes through the some steps:

Quote:
When you join the Air Force with a college degree, you can enter as an officer and a leader. We’ll provide you with training to develop the skills and character you need to become a world-class officer prepared to lead your fellow Airmen.
Then some steps...

Old 06-26-2017, 08:38 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,059,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It does not have the "Find Out More" but it does say "See Steps below for more information." and goes through the some steps:

Then some steps...
D'oh! I was expecting a link like all the other "ways to join" -- but all I had to do was SCROLL DOWN past the table.

To the OP: not sure if you're aware that the age limit is 34 (unless you are a doctor, lawyer, or minister), so if you are now in your early 30s, you are running out of time.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:59 AM

1,386 posts, read 998,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
The branches I'm most interested in are Air Force and Navy; particularly, AF Reserve or Navy Reserve. However, I understand these branches have the most competitive application processes for OCS.
You mention the Navy Reserve....do you want to be a traditional Reservist (one weekend a month, two weeks in the summer) or do you want to be on active duty? People who go to Naval OCS typically are active duty afterward. The Navy Reserve has direct commissioning programs (I believe only for Supply Officers and Public Affairs Officers) but you wouldn't go to OCS. And you wouldn't be AD, you'd be a drilling Reservist.

With your background, it sounds like the Navy Civil Engineering Corps might be the best fit. But I don't think they have a DCO program....you'd have to go active duty (affetr going to OCS). You can find out more about the Navy CEC accession program here:

https://www.navfac.navy.mil/jobs/stu...e_Program.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
What is not available now, may be available next month...

Why are you delaying? "within the next 12-18 months."? You need to get in action now...

Good luck!
^^^^^^^^^^^This. You need to go talk to a Navy Officer recruiter. He or she can best answer your questions. But you need to get going.

--

Last edited by Bill790; 06-27-2017 at 07:34 AM..

Old 06-27-2017, 08:28 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,188,035 times
The Air Force and the Navy are most likely going to require a STEM degree.

You have a shot at the Army though. You are too old for the Marines.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:01 AM

1,386 posts, read 998,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
The Air Force and the Navy are most likely going to require a STEM degree.
That's not true for the Navy, depending on what program you're going for. For Supply Officers, they want people with business degrees and business background.

--

Old 06-27-2017, 07:24 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,006,653 times
Navy - Probably competitive for active duty slots at OCS. Problem is your age. 35 is the cutoff for SWO/Supply/Intel. You're past the age for NFO and Pilot.

Your first step is contacting a Navy Officer Recruiter. Keyword: Officer. Do not, under any circumstance, talk to a enlisted recruiter. At your first meeting ask for a business card. If it doesn't say Officer Recruiter on it, then walk away. Do not take the ASVAB or fall for any games enlisted recruiters try to play. Talk to an Officer Recruiter. You need to take the OAR/ASTB depending on the designators that you're interested in. After you take the test, you'll need to do some interviews and put together a package to apply. Start now. The process can take over a year and you're pressed for time.

Do not under any circumstances enlist. You will regret it with your age and educational background. Trust me when I say you won't like being treated like a kid and having 18 year old peers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues