Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 11:18 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,596,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
OP, are you seriously trying to determine if your husband is a liar?

It wouldn't be the first time someone has lied about their military service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 11:33 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,053,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I know that's right!

My mother and I found out many lies my father told about his "honorable" service back in the 50s and 60s....smh There was a reason why he only had "Sgt" on his grave headstone after serving 24 years in the Air Force.

Nowadays it is a lot easier to research people's military background.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:36 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,519,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
True, but lying to a spouse?

Old 11-04-2017, 12:07 AM

189 posts, read 172,462 times
Well he lies so....I won’t go into the whole background of it.

I’m just wondering especially about the Saudi Arabia thing since he says that his own family didn’t know he went there. I highly doubt that. And his brother and sister saying he went AWOL....yet I know he was in the National Guard since I meet people he served on it with. Can you switch from Army to Guard? Also is being deployed part of AIT?

Old 11-04-2017, 05:48 AM

6,587 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian75 View Post

I’m just wondering especially about the Saudi Arabia thing since he says that his own family didn’t know he went there. I highly doubt that. And his brother and sister saying he went AWOL....yet I know he was in the National Guard since I meet people he served on it with. Can you switch from Army to Guard? Also is being deployed part of AIT?
As I said his training was 12 weeks so that equals 3 months. leaving 14 months to have deployed to Saudi Arabia. Back in the early 90s we had all kinds of tanks that just demolished the Iraqi army. Much of that had to be repaired and moved south to the Kuwait staging grounds. We also had a good number of National Guard units and reserve units deployed even after Desert Storm in support of that operation.

OP I am not sure what your questions are trying to prove. Getting into the national guard after serving on active duty is something many soldiers do as a norm. It is a way to continue serving with "brothers and sisters in arms" and have a civilian career and family. Life for an active duty soldier and his family is very difficult. That isn't saying a reservist or guardsman doesn't face similar problems but they at least have a set home and not packing off to the next army base every 3 or 4 years.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:03 AM

12,392 posts, read 8,168,105 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
As I said his training was 12 weeks so that equals 3 months. leaving 14 months to have deployed to Saudi Arabia. Back in the early 90s we had all kinds of tanks that just demolished the Iraqi army. Much of that had to be repaired and moved south to the Kuwait staging grounds. We also had a good number of National Guard units and reserve units deployed even after Desert Storm in support of that operation.

OP I am not sure what your questions are trying to prove. Getting into the national guard after serving on active duty is something many soldiers do as a norm. It is a way to continue serving with "brothers and sisters in arms" and have a civilian career and family. Life for an active duty soldier and his family is very difficult. That isn't saying a reservist or guardsman doesn't face similar problems but they at least have a set home and not packing off to the next army base every 3 or 4 years.
And after the Gulf War some got early outs, I am not sure about the Army but my cousin was released from active duty in the Navy when the aircraft he was training to work on, the A-6 Intruder was retired the Navy. I remember reading an officer's story who thought he was a sure thing for early selection a combat experienced Scout Platoon leader, normally assigned to the highest ranking Lieutenants in a battalion as their second assignment, was released.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:24 AM

189 posts, read 172,462 times
I’m just wondering how 2 different people told me he went AWOL (2 people who wouldn’t have talked to each other) but still able to join the National Guard? One person told me his dad cleared up the AWOL so he wouldn’t face penalties. (His dad was not in the military or anything to do with the law).

Old 11-04-2017, 11:51 AM

601 posts, read 459,862 times
AWOL is not as serious as desertion. Desertion means you intended to avoid service permanently. If you disappeared for a month but then showed back up voluntarily, it is possible that you would face significant punishment such as reduction in rank but then be allowed to continue to serve.

Old 11-04-2017, 12:35 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,635,783 times
Quote:
My husband graduated HS in 92 in California. He says he left for the Army that summer. Boot camp, then basic training in Aberdeen. Then he went to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia for 6 months to build tanks. Then moved to IL in fall of 93 and switched to the National Guard. His brother told me he never went to Saudi Arabia and went AWOL after basic training. How can you join the National Guard if you went AWOL though? I know he was in the Guard because. I met people he was in it with.
Also how long is boot camp and basic training?
Mail a letter or Standard Form (SF) 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records to:

National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138

Fax a letter or Standard Form 180 to: 314-801-9195

You are his wife, you should be able to obtain his military records with no problem.

Plus, does he have any pictures while serving in the military? You can simply ask him to show you some pictures.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:24 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,776,347 times
AWOL simply means Away Without Leave. He may have gotten back from a leave or even a weekend a few days late, and he would have been AWOL. For a short one, he may have gotten a slap on the wrist, such as no leaving the base for 30 days, etc., and it may not have really effected his military assignment. A lot of soldiers have a little time AWOL. May be only got drunk and passed out, and was a day late getting back from leave. He would have a day AWOL in such a situation, and gotten no off duty pass to leave the base for the following weekend would be a normal punishment.

If he had any serious problems while in the Army, he would not have been able to join the National Guard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues