Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2017, 03:36 PM

16 posts, read 14,778 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about enlisting in the Air Force, and would like opinions on whether it is a good idea/am I missing anything. I graduate from college in May, with a double major in Statistics and Sociology. The idea of going into the military really appeals to me, but I would rather have a more "technical" job. The reason the Air Force appeals to me is because I have heard it is far more technical, and the job skills are easily applicable to the civilian world.

If I enlist, I would go in as an E-3. I have read and heard from multiple people to go into OTS. OTS is very competitive, however, and I don't want to waste time applying if the process is upwards of 6 months and there isn't a good chance I'll get in anyway. I took a practice ASVAB in my recruiter's office, and was told it would have been a 93, so I should be eligible for any job. My recruiter makes it sound like the job I would get is nothing more than a crapshoot. That is what concerns me. Does anybody know how far in advance of my ship date I should sign in order to up my chances of getting a good job? Also, is it true that the Air Force is the most technical/"corporate" of the branches?

Thanks for any help/advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 04:25 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,256,829 times
Your job will be a crapshoot but that isn't always a bad thing. The Air Force knows they are the easiest sell of the military branches so they often make applicants 'take what you can get' when it comes to jobs. If you want to join the Air Force it is best to go in with the mindset that you're joining the Air Force and be happy with the best job they offer you. Don't go in with a specific job as your number one focus or you're sure to be disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues