Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2018, 09:09 PM

5 posts, read 3,109 times

Advertisements

I have 16 years Time In Service in the Air National Guard with 11 of those years being AGR. I am currently a MSgt (E-7) with 9 years until an active duty retirement. I am considering applying to become commissioned. My question is; "Do I have to serve 10 years as an Officer (AGR) to receive an Active Duty retirement?" My plan was to become commissioned and move into an AGR Officer position. I would serve 8 years AGR as an officer to hit my active duty retirement (20 yrs Active). With a combined tour of AGR Enlisted 12 years and 8 years AGR Officer, do i qualify for the active pension? I thought I read somewhere that if you transfer from enlisted to officer that you must serve 10 years as an Officer to qualify for an active retirement as an Officer. Can any anyone confirm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 02:45 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,008,137 times
Yes you must serve ten years as on officer to retire at the rank of an Officer.

I'm not sure how the guard works, but you need to ensure that they will let you get to active duty retirement. The Navy reserves is strict and disallows any reservist to get an active retirement.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:36 AM

532 posts, read 446,608 times
I was enlisted 11yrs , 6yrs out, then 15yrs commissioned.

When I received my commission at least one of the documents I signed was a statement that I understood I would need to serve at least 10yrs commissioned to retire as an officer.

I did wonder if there might be any benefits to retire enlisted prior to the 10yr mark.
Could I receive my top3 average base pay of an officer and have an ID card of a retired NCO?

Some other things to consider:
To retire at the rank of Major you must wear the rank for at least 6 months, this might be a 20-22yr goal for us with 10yrs or so enlisted, but to retire as Lieutenant Colonel its 3 years so probably pushing the 30yr mark.

Look into getting some credit toward time in grade
example: you have advanced degrees or work experience that applies to the commission you are seeking and maybe you could be commissioned as a 1st LT

AND of course enjoy the Officer with prior enlisted service pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues