Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2019, 09:15 PM

6,819 posts, read 11,548,200 times

Advertisements

Bought a new car today, and salesman was ~ 70. He noticed my DH’s Purple Heart license plates and they got to talking about military service. He said he had to tell his story of getting drafted. The guy was drafted in 1967 and reported to the Entrance Station. Did all that Day 1 stuff and then they went out to get on the busses to take them to Basic Training (Fort Leonard Wood, MO). They were waiting in line and the guy in front of him and the guy behind him were talking together so guy behind asked to trade places with our salesman to be next to the front buddy. So they did.

Busses arrive, and the two buddies were the last to board the last bus. Salesman and 3 other guys were left. SGT tell them he’ll get a car and have them driven down (it’s about a 5 hour drive from KC). So salesman is thinking, “Well this is all right, I’d rather go in a car than the bus.”

Some time later SGT returns, says no cars available, just go home and they’ll let them know what day to report again. Salesman never gets contacted. He said he sure as heck wasn’t going to call to remind them. After about a month of waiting, he went back to his old job and that was the end of his military saga. He says he often wonders about that guy he traded places in line with.

Life is sure full of random chances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 07:29 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Bought a new car today, and salesman was ~ 70. He noticed my DH’s Purple Heart license plates and they got to talking about military service. He said he had to tell his story of getting drafted. The guy was drafted in 1967 and reported to the Entrance Station. Did all that Day 1 stuff and then they went out to get on the busses to take them to Basic Training (Fort Leonard Wood, MO). They were waiting in line and the guy in front of him and the guy behind him were talking together so guy behind asked to trade places with our salesman to be next to the front buddy. So they did.

Busses arrive, and the two buddies were the last to board the last bus. Salesman and 3 other guys were left. SGT tell them he’ll get a car and have them driven down (it’s about a 5 hour drive from KC). So salesman is thinking, “Well this is all right, I’d rather go in a car than the bus.”

Some time later SGT returns, says no cars available, just go home and they’ll let them know what day to report again. Salesman never gets contacted. He said he sure as heck wasn’t going to call to remind them. After about a month of waiting, he went back to his old job and that was the end of his military saga. He says he often wonders about that guy he traded places in line with.

Life is sure full of random chances.
Totally believable. I have similar stories...…..

Old 01-04-2019, 03:57 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
Interesting story.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:29 PM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
My dad decide to enlist in the Navy to avoid being drafted to the Army or Marines in 1964. After 3 years he ended up getting blinded in one eye because a mechanic test fired a jet without warning everyone in the area.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:32 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
ok.
i'll play.

after getting on the bus at 5AM for a 3-hour ride to the medical examination, i ate some doughnuts on the way.
"sugar" shows up in my urine sample, but it is not in my blood (last time tested 88 score). family genetics.
my lottery number was #5, so i was sure to go to the Republic of Vietnam. we all stood in line to give our specimen,
and after mine was strip-tested, a Korean (he said he was) doctor pulled me out of line and began his questions.
i did not understand all of what he asked, so i said "yes" to most of them. he ordered a glucose tolerance test,
which i passed. they decided on "potential diabetic" and i was classified 4F.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:22 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,083,948 times
I had a neighbor back at home who was in the Air Force shortly after WWII. He was from Minnesota, small town called Deer River.

He had finished one enlistment. Didn't know what to do with himself so he went down to the recruiters office to sign back up. Recruiter was gone on a hunting trip so he said he would go back after the recruiter was back. Ended up going to a dance where he met a girl he ended up marrying. They're in their 80's now. He never went back to that recruiter and once told me about how something so seemingly random as the recruiter gone on a hunting trip could change your life like that.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:43 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
I received my induction notice while my ship was up North during the Vietnam War. I had been an officer for about 4 years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues