Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 08:03 AM

28,678 posts, read 18,801,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
PLEASE, the term is "Post"....not "Base". Now, that said........
Not always, with the introduction of "joint bases" where there two service facilities were already co-located. So there are soldiers at "bases."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 09:21 AM

5,723 posts, read 4,696,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Not always, with the introduction of "joint bases" where there two service facilities were already co-located. So there are soldiers at "bases."
But the corrected example was Fort Hood. Which is a post. So, the person making the correction, while pedantic, is correct.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:57 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

Oh, details, details...........it's okay. I remember USAF airmen being at Robert Gray AAF................long ago.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:37 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
In the 1980s and 1990s a married E5 with two children would qualify for food stamps.

States administer the Food Stamp programs, and then they look at your LES half of it is stuff that they do not understand. They will only care about your base-pay.

Within my community [subs] base-pay is commonly 1/3 of your total paycheck.

It all depends on what pay-grade you are and how many children you have, it was very common to see sailors qualifying for food stamps.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:04 AM

365 posts, read 271,221 times
Alright, I stand corrected.

I am going by my tour of the Air Force from 74-80, and in the Air Force, we called the Air Force installations 'Base'. I forgot to use the correct terminology for the Current Army Installation.

The main thing is, base, post , GSU, or whatever, everyone got what I was talking about, I think?

Old 01-09-2019, 11:45 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Yes, got what you were talking about.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:07 PM

193 posts, read 69,234 times
Having served in the military for 10 years I don't understand this, despite what many civilians think I actually got paid pretty well in the military as enlisted. I was a single mom and never had a problem supporting my children on my military pay, housing/utilities are paid for if you live in base housing, on-base childcare is priced on a scale based on rank, if you live on-base your job is very close by so you aren't spending a ton of money on gas and prices at the BX are much cheaper then anything you find off-base. Not to mention if you live in a high cost of living area you are paid extra for that (I was stationed in AK for 8 years and got COLA) and with Tri-care there are no out of pocket costs for medical. I did know a few people who relied on benefits because they chose to buy a house off-base that they couldn't afford, drove fancy cars and decided to send their children to off-base expensive childcare. Not saying this is the case with everyone but I just can't imagine living within your means on military pay and having to get benefits.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:08 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
I saw it happen when a person joined that already had several kids.

They start at the bottom - just like any other job. Those lower ranks are okay when you are single, live in the dorm and eat at the DFAC. Even with housing and BAS, it is hard for these E-1s, 2s to support a family.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:11 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwolfman View Post
I just got back from downtown near Fort Hood Army Base.
Talked with a wife of a Army Soldier.

She says that some of the wives of Army Soldiers are hurting, because they can't use or get food Stamps because of the Shut Down.

Really, all the money the Government wastes, they can't pay the Military enough money to not be on food
stamps?

So, I looked online, and to my surprise, active duty military families have turned to food stamps.
food stamps have not been cut yet.

Maybe they are not taking new applications.

And military pay isn't affected.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:21 PM

1,110 posts, read 897,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I saw it happen when a person joined that already had several kids.

They start at the bottom - just like any other job. Those lower ranks are okay when you are single, live in the dorm and eat at the DFAC. Even with housing and BAS, it is hard for these E-1s, 2s to support a family.
At one time, lower ranks had to have counselling prior to getting married. I think that the CDR had to approve marriages also. The junior pay grades were not designed to support married individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues