Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 01:17 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,000,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
(Assuming it's teh same case) that guy was a member of the Fleet Marine reserves, an employee of the commissary, and his victim was the wife of a Marine Sergeant. I assume his victim was also American?

And, UCMJ has jurisdiction over "persons serving with, employed by, or accompanying the armed forces outside the United States."

Anyhow, does double jeopardy apply with the UCMJ?
So, it turns out I might have been wrong (how often do you hear that on the CD forum?). A decision from a military appeals court further ruled on this last August, saying the military canNOT prosecute military retirees under the UCMJ:

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...martialed.html

This was different case than the one I cited at first, but it should also apply to the Larrabee case. At the very least, the water is still murky. I guess there are a lot of people, in and out of the military, who are uncomfortable with DOD yanking people out of retirement and prosecuting them under the UCMJ.

--

Old 03-26-2020, 03:54 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
So, it turns out I might have been wrong (how often do you hear that on the CD forum?). A decision from a military appeals court further ruled on this last August, saying the military canNOT prosecute military retirees under the UCMJ:

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...martialed.html

This was different case than the one I cited at first, but it should also apply to the Larrabee case. At the very least, the water is still murky. I guess there are a lot of people, in and out of the military, who are uncomfortable with DOD yanking people out of retirement and prosecuting them under the UCMJ.

--
Larrabee was also a base employee. So, they had another means of claiming jurisdiction. Interesting that these are both in Japan...that has to be representative of something politically or otherwise that Japan can't handle the prosecutions effectively.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:49 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,000,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Larrabee was also a base employee. So, they had another means of claiming jurisdiction. Interesting that these are both in Japan...that has to be representative of something politically or otherwise that Japan can't handle the prosecutions effectively.
One was a case of sexual assault, the other a case of a man trying to arrange to have sex with an underage girl. I would say PACOM leadership is particularly sensitive to sexual impropriety. Or they know Japanese culture is sensitive to it.

--

Old 05-07-2020, 01:28 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,062,291 times
As I expected.

*Boom*

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/07/mich...epartment.html

Old 05-07-2020, 01:33 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Good.

Old 05-10-2020, 02:03 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Treason??

He made a false statement to the FBI, that is his crime, hardly a crime worth pulling his or anyone's pension.

As for Oliver North, all charges were dismissed.
The FiBs set a perjury trap for him. Prosecutors do this every day. Why Jimbob Comey and Friends are not in jail is the real treason question.

Old 05-15-2020, 05:37 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Troops are only on food stamps because they decided to pump more kids than they could afford, that is 100% their fault.
Right on Sister !

Castrate them all. So that we don't have any military with children on food stamps.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:10 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
He didn't commit treason, but here's what we know he did do.

In 2016 the Russian government took actions to disrupt the presidential election. Late in 2016 President Obama announced sanctions against the Russian government. As part of the transition team Flynn talked to Sergei Kislyak, the Russian ambassador to the United States, and told him not to worry about Obama's sanctions because Trump would soon be taking over. This conversations were intercepted by the United States as part of its routine monitoring of foreign agents' conversations.

Flynn was questioned by the FBI about his conversations with Kislyak and he said that they had not discussed sanctions. This statement was a lie and he was prosecuted for it. In exchange for the government's agreement not to prosecute Flynn for other crimes he pled guilty to the crime of lying to the FBI, and in open court twice stated that he was guilty of the crime for which he was charged.

The United States armed forces are known for holding their officers to the highest standards of conduct. It is inconceivable that a general or former general can engage in this kind of criminality and get away with it.

Old 05-15-2020, 11:56 AM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
He didn't commit treason, but here's what we know he did do.

In 2016 the Russian government took actions to disrupt the presidential election. Late in 2016 President Obama announced sanctions against the Russian government. As part of the transition team Flynn talked to Sergei Kislyak, the Russian ambassador to the United States, and told him not to worry about Obama's sanctions because Trump would soon be taking over. This conversations were intercepted by the United States as part of its routine monitoring of foreign agents' conversations.

Flynn was questioned by the FBI about his conversations with Kislyak and he said that they had not discussed sanctions. This statement was a lie and he was prosecuted for it. In exchange for the government's agreement not to prosecute Flynn for other crimes he pled guilty to the crime of lying to the FBI, and in open court twice stated that he was guilty of the crime for which he was charged.

The United States armed forces are known for holding their officers to the highest standards of conduct. It is inconceivable that a general or former general can engage in this kind of criminality and get away with it.
I'll have to check those items. What does amaze me is that, if the above is true, that Flynn would be stupid enough to say anything significant over a phone that he knew had to be bugged by NSA, CIA, MI6, and many others. He was Defense Intelligence Agency, for Lord's sake. How on earth could he not know that?

And being DIA, if he got led down the garden path by Comey and others...I find it amazing that he'd be so astonishingly naive. I would have known better than to talk to the FiBs, and though I was never a 3-star in DIA I did know in January 2017 that Comey & Friends were crooked and should have been avoided and resisted, and fired on Jan 20.

The Soviets, and many others--friend and foe alike--have had interest in and made efforts to sway our election outcomes for decades. We do the same. "Journalists" don't ever mention that.
Obama used several hundred thousands of US tax dollars to try to oust Bibi in the 2015 Israeli election.

What is obvious but hardly ever mentioned by "reporters" is that Ivan & Friends would much have preferred Hillary win the presidency. The Clintons were already owned 100% by the Soviets and the Chicommies.
And the Rooskies surely knew all about her myriad very serious health problems, and could have used that as leverage. If they needed it, which is doubtful.

To perpetuate the absurd idea that Vlad & Friends wanted Trump--who's slapped them around more than anyone since RWR--in office is flying in the face of the obvious.

And sorry, the unethical members of military brass get away with all sorts of stuff that most people on here can't imagine. That's from supply sergeants on up, and on down. It's the Old Boys Club.
Like many people in positions of power, many regularly abuse their authority. It's just how those who seek and acquire power are wired. Not excusing it, bottom line it's as much personal ethics as military guidelines or regulations.

Old 05-15-2020, 01:16 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I don't care if the judge lets him off or sends him to GITMO. There is no way this traitor should be collecting a Generals pension while he was selling us out. Good Soldiers are trying to get by on food stamps while these Aristocrat Officers collect pensions and Federal Salaries. Ollie North would be another example. Benedict Arnold was a Patriot compared to either of them. Drum them out
Few would agree with you. TDS has obviously clouded your judgment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues