Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 12:32 PM

15 posts, read 61,504 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I need some advice. So I'm trying to go into USMC and I have been talking with this recruiter for a few months now. Nice guy and not pushy. Anyways I called him a few weeks ago telling him I am interested. So we met a few days later and met his shadow that will be taking his place and filled out all the medical paperwork. I got to certain sections and told him I have to say "yes" to these questions and I knew how important they were. He told me not to worry about it and say "no". Same with another section. So a few days later I went to MEPS but before we went we had to fill more paperwork out. Then I met his boss; Sub-station commander. So I was told to go into his office and asked me if I was lying about any paperwork and that is there anything I didn't disclose with my recruiter or if I have done drugs. I have been 100% honest with my paperwork. I told him "no" because I did disclose everything with him if asked. Station commander looked at my medical paperwork and said word-for-word: " You stick to the script. They are looking for consistency". So I left his office and my recruiter took me to up to the hotel. Went to MEPS the next morning and everything was normal until medical debriefing. When we started to fill out similar questions with the recruiter I started saying 'yes' on some of the questions. Talked to a bunch of people about it and asked why does it say "no" if clearly should have been "yes". Telling them what I told the recruiter and what he told me.(yes pretty much threw him and his boss underneath the bus). I was honest at MEPS. So I handed all of my medical and education records that he said to not worry about to the recruiter. So its been about 2 weeks now and have been too scared to talk to him. Texted him asking if he got the paperwork and he said he did (at this point I knew a commander came in and talk to the two and now I know he is pissed). So now I have to play stupid as if nothing happened at MEPS but clearly they know I said something at MEPS. So what should I do: should I call him and polk the bear? Should I just wait for him to contact me? Or just give up and wait for a couple of years? (if I do that then I would have to get all medical records I gave to them). My friend says I might be in danger for being honest. Am I? I didn't want to throw anybody the bus just want the correct paperwork to be done because it would take a google search to find all that medical stuff on me and I would like to work in government, What do I do? Am I in danger like my friend said? and was it a mistake for being honest at MEPS?

Last edited by Tres34578; 06-18-2019 at 12:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 02:08 PM

15 posts, read 13,775 times
Honesty is always the best policy. It is not any more complicated than that.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:17 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,324,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres34578 View Post
Okay, so I need some advice. So I'm trying to go into USMC and I have been talking with this recruiter for a few months now. Nice guy and not pushy. Anyways I called him a few weeks ago telling him I am interested. So we met a few days later and met his shadow that will be taking his place and filled out all the medical paperwork. I got to certain sections and told him I have to say "yes" to these questions and I knew how important they were. He told me not to worry about it and say "no". Same with another section. So a few days later I went to MEPS but before we went we had to fill more paperwork out. Then I met his boss; Sub-station commander. So I was told to go into his office and asked me if I was lying about any paperwork and that is there anything I didn't disclose with my recruiter or if I have done drugs. I have been 100% honest with my paperwork. I told him "no" because I did disclose everything with him if asked. Station commander looked at my medical paperwork and said word-for-word: " You stick to the script. They are looking for consistency". So I left his office and my recruiter took me to up to the hotel. Went to MEPS the next morning and everything was normal until medical debriefing. When we started to fill out similar questions with the recruiter I started saying 'yes' on some of the questions. Talked to a bunch of people about it and asked why does it say "no" if clearly should have been "yes". Telling them what I told the recruiter and what he told me.(yes pretty much threw him and his boss underneath the bus). I was honest at MEPS. So I handed all of my medical and education records that he said to not worry about to the recruiter. So its been about 2 weeks now and have been too scared to talk to him. Texted him asking if he got the paperwork and he said he did (at this point I knew a commander came in and talk to the two and now I know he is pissed). So now I have to play stupid as if nothing happened at MEPS but clearly they know I said something at MEPS. So what should I do: should I call him and polk the bear? Should I just wait for him to contact me? Or just give up and wait for a couple of years? (if I do that then I would have to get all medical records I gave to them). My friend says I might be in danger for being honest. Am I? I didn't want to throw anybody the bus just want the correct paperwork to be done because it would take a google search to find all that medical stuff on me and I would like to work in government, What do I do? Am I in danger like my friend said? and was it a mistake for being honest at MEPS?
In danger? Not enough information. Did you lie about having had 1 stitch for a really bad papercut, then no, no danger. Did you lie about previous open heart surgery? If so, yes, you are in danger of a medical complication during marine basic training and for falsifying government forms, and will likely be disqualified.

Can I assume you got disqualified at MEPS and didn't finish the medical exam?

You need to tell your recruiter that you want to be honest. The only person that will get punished for your "no" answers on paperwork that turned into "Yes" answers is you, because the MEPS doctor will now lack trust in all your no answers. The most likely result of this is that you will be required to provide ALLLLLL medical records, for any reason, for the last 5 years of your life. They likely have surprises in them that even you are not aware of.

I'm sorry your recruiter is a dirt bag and asked you to lie. I can't provided any decent advice until I know what you disclosed to MEPS. A suicide attempt, or other mental health issues disclosed may mean you will never serve. Something small like strep throat as a child will have no impact. I can't answer without knowing specifics.

It was not a mistake for being honest at MEPS, it was a mistake for being dishonest on the paperwork. I realize you were told to lie, but you should have refused. Having inconsistencies on your forms vs verbal answers is usually a major issue and will make it very difficult for you to get into the Marines now. The mistake was allowing your recruiter to influence you to act without Integrity. You're going to be defending the nation, you should have the guts to have said, "Sir, I do not want to be dishonest on the forms. I will tell the truth at MEPS, so I would like to tell the truth on this form. Please edit my form to reflect the truth" and called it a day.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:02 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,581,875 times
I'm guessing you're done. You will never become a United States Marine. The recruiter will come up with the necessary "details" of what happened and will move on to the next recruit. And you'll be sidelined forever. That's just the way it happens.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:58 PM

thank you for describing it to me. I know I should have said something but I do understand my placement and the situation I was in I should have said something but out of sheer respect, I wasn't going to argue with the man and I understand. I asked him several times and try my best to highlight the situation is important and told me it was fine. I want the paperwork to be done right. It isn't some dream of mine to become a marine and if I can't become a Marine thats okay. Medical sat me down and said I will be okay and come back with the correct document. Technically they denied me but " a bump in the road". If I am willing to become a Marine with this that's great and if I can't thats fine. Its not like I lied. I want to work with the government and I know when security clearence comes up they can see this paperwork really easily. Should I contact him and see the status or let him be? I know his commander came in last week and talk to him and his boss.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:05 PM

why is that?

Old 06-18-2019, 08:47 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,683,726 times
Recruiters tell folks to lie every day. Mine did, my kids did, and most of the recruiters I know lied.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:43 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,006,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I'm guessing you're done. You will never become a United States Marine. The recruiter will come up with the necessary "details" of what happened and will move on to the next recruit. And you'll be sidelined forever. That's just the way it happens.
Yup. You will be blackballed.

The system is stupid, but it is the way the game is played. If you had a problem with it then you should have spoken up to your recruiter. Instead you went and changed your story and you are now just a number they can't put in.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:04 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,838 times
The Army recruiter told me to lie years ago re: once having a broken arm, and having had asthma. He told me they will ask you if you been told to lie and continue to lie. Looking back I hate him and the whole system.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:40 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,507 times
Don't know about the military, but I've heard that the one thing that will get you disqualified from the FBI is lying about anything at any point in the process. They're willing to overlook quite a bit, but not lying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues