Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 11:00 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,067,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
[/b]

Smaller military - fewer veterans - expand the dues paying population pool. As to the first part of your statement - I do not know
From the act itself, as it applies to my service:

(23) The ninth unrecognized war era involving active United States military personnel was the Iran Hostage Crisis, which lasted from November 4, 1979, through January 20, 1981.

(24) The Iran Hostage Crisis involved military intervention by the United States which resulted in the deaths of 8 members of the Armed Forces who sacrificed their lives in service to United States.
I worked stat chemistry at Wilford Hall, Lackland AFB and I remember the flurry of activity when some of those injured in the failed raid were admitted. I remember when President Carter visited them and I remember when the Shah of Iran was treated at the same hospital. We weren’t at war but it sure felt like we were headed that way.

It seems the act was mainly passed to honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice during these and other specific periods. I can think of a couple of lives lost through mishaps at Lackland, Kelly, Medina, etc during my time at Big Willy along with those mentioned above. I’m happy their families will get the recognition they deserve.

(The ER also took in civilians since we were a trauma center. All of the shootings, accidents, OD’s, stabbings - as a training facility, it was never boring.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 07:03 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,815,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Why should any vet who serviced during periods of inactivity, join now after years of not being welcomed? There were hundreds of thousands who served, honorably and now suddenly the American Legion is going to welcome them?
Either you served or you did not serve... Pretty simple....

What part of:

From: https://www.legion.org/membership/24...act-signed-law
Quote:
The American Legion sought the declaration as a way to honor approximately 1,600 U.S. servicemembers who were killed or wounded during previously undeclared periods of war.

Do you not understand... (Never mind, no reply is needed...)

Old 08-13-2019, 09:59 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,318,667 times
Quote:
Why should any vet who serviced during periods of inactivity, join now after years of not being welcomed? There were hundreds of thousands who served, honorably and now suddenly the American Legion is going to welcome them?
It sounds like they are trying to boost dwindling numbers, and make the organization relevant again.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:25 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,067,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Either you served or you did not serve... Pretty simple....

What part of:

From: https://www.legion.org/membership/24...act-signed-law

Do you not understand... (Never mind, no reply is needed...)
I think I acknowledge that in a portion of my previous response:

Quote:

It seems the act was mainly passed to honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice during these and other specific periods. I can think of a couple of lives lost through mishaps at Lackland, Kelly, Medina, etc during my time at Big Willy along with those mentioned above. I’m happy their families will get the recognition they deserve.
Perhaps you overlooked it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
It sounds like they are trying to boost dwindling numbers, and make the organization relevant again.
It's always nice to be an after-thought.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:31 AM

14,255 posts, read 14,780,819 times
It is rather simple. People are not joining veterans organizations. The VFW about accepts anyone that was in the military. The AL could not do so without the recent change.

They all need new/more members to stay afloat.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
It is rather simple. People are not joining veterans organizations. The VFW about accepts anyone that was in the military. The AL could not do so without the recent change.

They all need new/more members to stay afloat.
No: "The VFW about accepts anyone that was in the military." was not true...

Quote:
The American Legion sought the declaration as a way to honor approximately 1,600 U.S. servicemembers who were killed or wounded during previously undeclared periods of war.
https://www.legion.org/membership/24...act-signed-law

Old 08-13-2019, 12:03 PM

703 posts, read 613,941 times
Quote:
"The VFW about accepts anyone that was in the military." was not true...
This is correct. FVW=veteran's of Foreign Wars. Not "guy who did 2 years at Fort Dix" Must have been "Over There."

Quote:
This part I might disagree on. The statement quoted is their public statement. The reality is they need to "up" their numbers and bring in more revenue, but they ain't gonna just come right out and say that. Or maybe I'm just cynical....?

Old 08-13-2019, 12:28 PM

Mcdowellnews.com, Marion, NC ©2019 BH Media Group, Inc.
Law opens American Legion to more veterans
From Staff Reports Aug 8, 2019

At: https://www.mcdowellnews.com/news/la...8f165ed2d.html

Quote:
A new law will allow for veterans who served their country in peacetime or during conflicts to have access to American Legion programs and benefits for which they were previously not eligible.

On Tuesday, July 30, President Trump signed a bill that declares the United States has been in a state of war since Dec. 7, 1941, the day the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. The American Legion sought the declaration to honor approximately 1,600 U.S. service members who were killed or wounded during previously undeclared periods of war. The act also opens the door for approximately 6 million veterans to access American Legion programs and benefits for which they previously had not been eligible, according to a news release.

With this new legislation, the American Legion’s eligibility criteria immediately changes from seven war eras to two: April 6, 1917 to Nov. 11, 1918 and Dec. 7, 1941 to a time later determined by the federal government. No other restrictions to American Legion membership are changed.

Alan Mainer, commander of McDowell’s Post 56, said this means more veterans are eligible to join the Legion and get the benefits of the membership.

“The American Legion is the world’s largest wartime veterans organization,” said Mainer to The McDowell News.

Previously, due to the constitutional laws that created the American Legion, only veterans who served during World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, in the 1980s in Panama or Lebanon/Grenada or from 1990 to the present were eligible to join.

“This new Legion Act will open the door to allow all veterans who were honorably discharged, their family members to be part of the Sons of the American Legion and/or the Auxiliary to now be a member,” said Mainer. “The American Legion consists of veterans helping other veterans. Now with the passage of this new bill, all veterans will be able to take part in the four pillars that make the American Legion what it is today. Those pillars are: national security, rehabilitation of veterans and their family, Americanism and children and youth. We are hoping other Cold War veterans who were not previously recognized to be able to join, will now join and continue to keep the American Legion strong and working for all veterans.”

Old 08-13-2019, 12:32 PM

703 posts, read 613,941 times
A public statement if ever there was one.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
A public statement if ever there was one.
Yep...

Guess you have a difficult time reading a newspaper also...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues