Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 06:08 PM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times

Advertisements

During my career, they had to re-do my background investigation [SSBI] every four-years. The first couple of times, they would talk to school teachers, neighbors and relatives. But after ten years or so, they shifted to only talking to former co-workers [men I had served with on previous subs].

NOFORN, Confid, S, TS, Crypto, and code-word clearances were all fairly standard procedures.

The Personnel Reliability Program [PRP] was the tough one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 06:27 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
During my career, they had to re-do my background investigation [SSBI] every four-years. The first couple of times, they would talk to school teachers, neighbors and relatives. But after ten years or so, they shifted to only talking to former co-workers [men I had served with on previous subs].
Yes, pretty much.

Old 04-08-2021, 04:19 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:

NOFORN, Confid, S, TS, Crypto, and code-word clearances were all fairly standard procedures.

I just looked up the PRP (had never heard of it before) and it sounds rough!

I have to undergo regular counter intelligence polygraphs and those are bad enough, but I don't think I'd like the PRP at all.

Old 04-08-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I just looked up the PRP (had never heard of it before) and it sounds rough!

I have to undergo regular counter intelligence polygraphs and those are bad enough, but I don't think I'd like the PRP at all.
The PRP program is for everyone who works in nuclear warheads targeting and/or launch systems and everyone who works on the warheads or MRVs.

It restricts which drugs the HM corpsmen can give you during medical/dental operations, and often you must have another PRP person present before they can start the procedure. Also they review our personal finances and budgeting.

One time, as I was reporting to a new sub [in a different homeport] I wanted to buy a new apartment building in the city of my new homeport. Our Security Manager threatened to pull my PRP clearance over the idea that I was collecting apartment buildings at various Navy bases.

Old 04-08-2021, 04:51 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
The PRP program is for everyone who works in nuclear warheads targeting and/or launch systems and everyone who works on the warheads or MRVs.

It restricts which drugs the HM corpsmen can give you during medical/dental operations, and often you must have another PRP person present before they can start the procedure. Also they review our personal finances and budgeting.

One time, as I was reporting to a new sub [in a different homeport] I wanted to buy a new apartment building in the city of my new homeport. Our Security Manager threatened to pull my PRP clearance over the idea that I was collecting apartment buildings at various Navy bases.
Oh, wow. Yeah, that is way too restrictive (re the housing/clearance threats).

Old 04-09-2021, 08:30 AM

1,386 posts, read 999,709 times
Quote:
Were you polygraphed for the PRP? The Gunners mates on my ship who handled specials were part of the PRP but I don't remember them being polygraphed.

--

Old 04-09-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
Were you polygraphed for the PRP? The Gunners mates on my ship who handled specials were part of the PRP but I don't remember them being polygraphed.

--
I went through a polygraph test once. But it had nothing to do with the PRP though.

The boat I was on had gone into the shipyard for an overhaul and refueling, as we moved all the test equipment off the boat and put it into storage. Some of the equipment failed to reach storage. So they decided to polygraph the entire crew to see if any of us knew where the equipment had gone.

The two men operating the polygraph were FBI on loan to NCIS. They decided to ask us if we had ever done any felons, they had a long list of possible felonies that they asked about one by one. All of my answers were sarcasm and jokes. Those guys got terribly mad at me. The more sarcasm I fed them, the madder they got. But I did not admit to knowing anything about any felons. I refused to answer any of their questions with straight answers. They had no reason to really suspect me. After four hours of interrogation, they let me go.

While in that shipyard, we had uniform inspections every Friday on the pier. Being in a shipyard environment we all had to wear steel-toe shoes and hardhats before we could get into the shipyard. They were a standard part of all our uniforms. One week our command put signs everywhere that the required uniform for that Friday was going to be steel-toe shoes and hardhats [no mention of wearing actual uniforms]. I thought that was stupid since we all wore steel-toe shoes and hardhats every day. Come that Friday, I was in the ranks to be inspected with my steel-toe shoes and hardhat [but nothing else]. The chain of command got mad at me that day, but since I had followed their instructions exactly I was not charged with anything.

Old 04-09-2021, 09:09 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Most people have one MOS, although a secondary MOS is not uncommon based on the needs of the service and how long you are in. When I was in MP school we had a Spec 4 armor (I think) guy going through MP school in order to reclass. After MP school both my squad leader and platoon sergeant had a previous MOS, and they were the only two in the platoon who had another MOS. I knew an E-7 in a transportation company who went to culinary school in order to take over mess sergeant duties. I also knew a guy (don't remember his MOS) who had an aptitude with radios, so he worked outside his MOS doing something with radios without ever having gone to another MOS producing school. There is also career progression, so an MP may then become a dog handler, or go into MPI or CID.

Old 04-09-2021, 11:50 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
Quote:

No just no. There is no medical restriction on what a person attending to your medical needs can give, freak'in ridiculous notion and flat out false. There is also no "other PRP person must be present to start the procedure" nonsense. I have no idea where you get this stuff from. It has never, ever been like this.

No one threatened to pull anything for merely buying an apartment complex, again, ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post

--
There is no poly for the PRP.

Old 04-09-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
No just no. There is no medical restriction on what a person attending to your medical needs can give, freak'in ridiculous notion and flat out false. There is also no "other PRP person must be present to start the procedure" nonsense. I have no idea where you get this stuff from. It has never, ever been like this.

No one threatened to pull anything for merely buying an apartment complex, again, ridiculous.
How many years were you in the PRP program?

I was in the program for many years.

Quote:
... There is no poly for the PRP.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues