Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 10:42 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,392,746 times

Advertisements

Where else could I post to get opinions on weapons?

This is about police not soldiers.

I watch too many police programs and this TV series called Body Cam. Today I watched videos where the police are in pursuit. The suspect is armed and driving a stolen vehicle wildly on a high speed chase. The officers cannot get close enough to clip the car or fire at the suspect without them being shot at close range with an AK-47.

Surely police cars could be fitted with twin missile launchers or automatic weapons, locating them under the hood. To use them, the weapons will elevate above the hood. Cops can still keep up with the runner , shoot tires, puncture the gas tank or use deadly force without having to stop and get out of their cars to shoot.

Pros and cons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2022, 11:45 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,966,007 times
Just give them those humvees from Iraq/Afghanistan with the turrets on top. They are decommissioning them in favor JLTV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk2RgnpunjQ&t=538s

Old 04-20-2022, 02:37 AM

6,587 posts, read 7,095,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post

I watch too many police programs and this TV series called Body Cam. Today I watched videos where the police are in pursuit. The suspect is armed and driving a stolen vehicle wildly on a high speed chase. The officers cannot get close enough to clip the car or fire at the suspect without them being shot at close range with an AK-47.

Surely police cars could be fitted with twin missile launchers or automatic weapons, locating them under the hood. To use them, the weapons will elevate above the hood. Cops can still keep up with the runner , shoot tires, puncture the gas tank or use deadly force without having to stop and get out of their cars to shoot.

Pros and cons?
So we can kill more unarmed black men for a burnt out tail light more efficiently?

Old 04-20-2022, 03:41 AM

11,510 posts, read 6,027,599 times
Let me guess. You are a fan of James Bond movies.

I can imagine the lawsuits. "Your honor, there were 2 toddlers in car seats in the back of the car that the police blew into oblivion. We are seeking damages of $50 million. Per child."

How about the Grapple system shown in link below just gets put into widespread circulation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mytpTEbL0M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRhIsMUZ7Nc

Old 04-20-2022, 07:29 AM

27,197 posts, read 13,489,086 times
Quote:

Pros and cons?
Why not radio through for air support and follow the car from a safe distance.

This would stop the need for a high speed pursuit and would allow roads ahead to be blocked off or stinger devices deployed.

Old 04-20-2022, 09:25 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,906,411 times
Quote:

Pros and cons?
Twin missile launchers? Is this something you saw on a James Bond movie. Tell me this is a joke. I can't even begin to mention what can go wrong but I will list a few things:
  • Police don't usually shoot at fleeing cars, even if suspect is armed, unless a very extreme situation for instance suspect is also firing at police. A PIT maneuver or stop strips are more standard.
  • Using a missile will probably not only condemn a suspect to death without judge or jury, but also any occupant in the car. Good luck with the police lawsuits that will occur as a results, as well as objections from civil liberty groups.
  • And what exactly is the police cruiser following the suspects car at 90MPH to do when the suspects car is hit and car and body parts are splattered all over into the officers windshield, or other nearby vehicles for that matter?
  • Armed missiles and engine compartments don't really mix well, nor do they work well if an officer is in an unrelated collision. "Under the hood", yeah, and with all that heat, gas, and electronics, do you think the police will embrace putting a bomb under there hoods?
  • And if the missile misses and hits some building or another vehicle? Or do you expect some multi-million dollar high tech laser guided targeting system to be put in each police car? Why don't the police just buy up some F22 raptors at $125 million an aircraft?
  • Cost and maintenance. Automatic windows malfunction all the time, and you want to put a live bomb under the hood that raises and lowers.

Last edited by Dd714; 04-20-2022 at 09:41 AM..

Old 04-20-2022, 10:50 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
... I watch too many police programs and this TV series called Body Cam. Today I watched videos where the police are in pursuit. The suspect is armed and driving a stolen vehicle wildly on a high speed chase. The officers cannot get close enough to clip the car or fire at the suspect without them being shot at close range with an AK-47.
That is TV.

In reality full-auto weapons are used in crimes so seldom that the FBI / ATF do not have any statistics on the topic. It would need to happen at least once a year, somewhere, before they will ever begin to collect data on the topic. It only happens in the movies.

If you are in a moving vehicle, and you try to shoot at another moving vehicle, you are pretty much guaranteed to miss. Those 'wild-bullets' stand a good chance of striking innocent civilians.

Old 04-20-2022, 11:35 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,087,365 times
The answer to guns is NEVER going to be MORE guns/rockets/missiles/tanks/whatever.

Old 04-20-2022, 01:38 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,921,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
So we can kill more unarmed black men for a burnt out tail light more efficiently?
Well, that didn't take long. SMFH...

On a more reasonable POV, I agree with the other poster that mentioned the grappler system. It seems much better to use than weaponry on the police car.

Old 04-20-2022, 03:43 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,906,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Well, that didn't take long. SMFH...

On a more reasonable POV, I agree with the other poster that mentioned the grappler system. It seems much better to use than weaponry on the police car.
I was thinking some sort of EMP pulse gun myself.
https://community.element14.com/memb...isable-drivers

Anyways for the OP, I am sure she is pulling our legs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues