Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 10:31 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times

Advertisements

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/air...ongressmen-say
Someone in the Air Force released personnel files on a former officer who is a candidate in the Republican Party. The files include details on the sexual assault she endured while in the military. Air Force has said they identified the leaker and are investigating to see if it was politically motivated leak or a leak for financial gain. Regardless of your politics this information should not have been leaked from it like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2022, 10:41 AM

5,990 posts, read 3,731,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Someone in the Air Force released personnel files on a former officer who is a candidate in the Republican Party. The files include details on the sexual assault she endured while in the military. Air Force has said they identified the leaker and are investigating to see if it was politically motivated leak or a leak for financial gain. Regardless of your politics this information should not have been leaked from it like this.
I'm confused. How is it that revealing that someone was a VICTIM is considered as detrimental treatment of the victim? I'm not saying that it was right for someone to leak information that was supposed to remain confidential, but I don't understand how making it known that someone was a VICTIM is somehow harmful to the victim. If anything, that information might be HELPFUL to the victim because it would tend to generate sympathy for the victim.

Old 10-26-2022, 04:14 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I'm confused. How is it that revealing that someone was a VICTIM is considered as detrimental treatment of the victim? I'm not saying that it was right for someone to leak information that was supposed to remain confidential, but I don't understand how making it known that someone was a VICTIM is somehow harmful to the victim. If anything, that information might be HELPFUL to the victim because it would tend to generate sympathy for the victim.
Anything can be spun into a political narrative.

Even if all military sexual assault victims were named and thus given $100,000, it isn’t permitted nor wise to release protected information. When a victim comes forward, there are privacy protections built into the laws. Following this release, will result in non reporting (at least once) because nobody, or most, do not want their names nor details to be released to the public. Do-no-harm is not a good defense here.

Old 10-27-2022, 04:57 PM

5,990 posts, read 3,731,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Anything can be spun into a political narrative.

Even if all military sexual assault victims were named and thus given $100,000, it isn’t permitted nor wise to release protected information. When a victim comes forward, there are privacy protections built into the laws. Following this release, will result in non reporting (at least once) because nobody, or most, do not want their names nor details to be released to the public. Do-no-harm is not a good defense here.
OF COURSE it's not a good defense for the person who released the information. That person, if found, should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. The question, however, is whether releasing the information will help or hurt the VICTIM in a political contest. I contend that it would HELP the victim because many people would sympathize with the victim and therefore be more likely to support her with their vote.

Old 10-27-2022, 06:22 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
OF COURSE it's not a good defense for the person who released the information. That person, if found, should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. The question, however, is whether releasing the information will help or hurt the VICTIM in a political contest. I contend that it would HELP the victim because many people would sympathize with the victim and therefore be more likely to support her with their vote.
In theory, if the release would help a victim, wouldn’t they release it themselves? No crime victims are happy to be “out-ed”. Beyond legal protections, there aren’t many that would think it’s a good idea to release victim narratives. We’ll see what the Aif Force finds out. If it’s someone trying to protect the deep swamp, and some elite in the protected class, that will be awkward for the Air Force.

Old 10-29-2022, 07:29 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
The political spin will be that she lied about being a victim.

Old 10-29-2022, 08:29 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,344,280 times
This doesn’t surprise me at all. The Pentagon, where civilian USAF leadership resides and is a part of, have been taken over by the DNC. They also influence officer ascensions, but that’s another story.

But they fought Trump every step of the way. Sometimes they didn’t win, but other times they were able to get what they wanted.

Bottom line, If the DNC wants opposition research, and that information resides within Pentagon reach, they will get it, period, end of discussion.

But why would the media publish this story against the will of the victim? Surely they must understand that this won’t help the side they shill for, right?

Anyway, waiting for the usual suspects in this forum to rush in and carry water for their side, and proclaim that what I’ve posted here is completely false. Nobody believes their nonsense, though.

Old 10-29-2022, 02:28 PM
KCZ

4,674 posts, read 3,667,429 times
Quote:

You're kidding, right? Many women who are labelled as victims of sexual assault are blamed for it, told it was their fault for wearing something provocative, called names I can't use in this forum, and treated like dirt. The woman gets victimized twice. Why do you think so many sexual assaults aren't even reported? And regardless, it was her decision, not the AF clerk's, to make. And the reporter is a piece of scum for publicizing this information after being told it was obtained illegally.

Old 11-02-2022, 05:51 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
If she filed an unrestricted report to prosecutor the perp, and I hope she did, she was already prepared for for and probably went through repercussions. I hope she holds her head up and continues forward.

Normally SA victims are in the state of mind they will die if they don't cooperate. I hate that she could be victimized twice by bringing the past event into the present.

Old 02-07-2023, 01:56 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Well, if we are talking politics, then the target has just been illuminated. Keep in mind that politics is a dirty game where it is not just about who is running and the voters. Or if it is, stepping this conversation away from second enemies, from the sexual offense, knowing where to target the victim who is now a candidate and already under enough stress, then some voters might take a different view, from (if it was rape)...."she asked for it", "it wasn't rape", "she should have fought more", "she's damaged goods", etc..

Ever see "Fallen Angel"? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082358/?ref_=fn_al_tt_4 At the end of the movie where the crook confronts the victim and says if they go to trial, all her failings will be revealed? (as I recall, haven't seen the movie in decades). That's the kind of bad light we talking be shined on the victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues