Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 10:52 PM

32 posts, read 21,912 times

Advertisements

So who would those be besides "grunts" ?

I was a medic in the army, I wouldn't classify my MOS as POG since that MOS is also known affectionately as "Combat Medic." If you think about it, medics are nothing but glorified 11Bs carrying M5 medic packs along with a rifle. BTW, I never served in combat, so I'm just throwing that out there and to give real credit to Vets and active folks only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 12:45 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Translated into 2019 popular culture other than Infantry becomes other than Special Forces Ranger Raider SEALs. Active duty on M60 tanks, National Guard Field Artillery

Old 10-22-2019, 05:55 PM

1,066 posts, read 629,181 times
I don't understand the question in this post.

Old 10-22-2019, 06:18 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times

Quote:
POG is a term, usually derogatory in nature, to describe a non-combative soldier in any of the military branches. A grunt, on the other hand, is a soldier in those combative positions such as infantrymen. These two groups are usually at odds.

From: https://www.military.com/off-duty/20...-not-slur.html

Quote:
5 Reasons Why 'POG' Is Not a Slur
2 May 2019
We Are The Mighty | By Sean Dodds

Personnel other than grunts, or POGs, are an essential part of the fight. POGs make up the majority of the military and they perform every job that is not specifically reserved for infantry.

https://www.acronymfinder.com/Slang/POG.html
What does POG stand for?

Quote:
POG Priorities of Government
POG Parents of the Groom
POG Psychological Operations Group
POG Play Online Games (video game website)
POG Polyphonic Octave Generator (audio equipment)
POG Pediatric Oncology Group
POG Property of God
POG Price of Gold
POG Pot of Gold
POG Point of Grace (band)
POG Player of the Game
POG Prius Owners Group (car club)
POG Paths of Glory (board game)
POG Planogram
POG Port Operations Group (US DoD)
POG Piece of Garbage
POG Price of Government
POG Power Oriented Graph
POG Port Gentil, Gabon - Port Gentil (Airport Code)
POG Portage, Wisconsin (Amtrak station code)
POG Price of Glory Wrestling (professional wrestling circuit)
POG Pineapple, Orange, Guava
POG Person Other than Grunt
POG Piece Of Gum
POG Poetry Group (Tucson, AZ)
POG Personnel Other than Grunt
POG Project Officers Group
POG Passionfruit, Orange, Guava
POG Parts, Oil & Grease
POG Period of Gestation (Obstetrics and Gynecology)
POG Program Operating Guide
POG Prisoners of Graffiti
POG Process Offgas
POG Propulsion Operating Guide (TMINS)
POG Pettus Organic Group (University of California, Santa Barbara)
POG Purchase Order Generator
POG Philharmonia of Greensboro (Greensboro, NC)
POG Person of Girth

And the list goes on...

Old 10-22-2019, 07:50 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
That's what I get for not reading recent combat memoirs.

So on one side we have an everybody and job is important mindset but then again on the other side the Marine Corps likes to say every Marine is a rifleman. Meanwhile in the US Army we go to basic training and sing Jody calls about wishing to be an Airborne Ranger.

Old 10-22-2019, 10:23 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,123,668 times
It's simple:

In the Corps if your MOS does not begin with "03" your a POG.
I hold 2 MOS'S 0311 and 0321.

A medic, or my buddy who was an Airborne FO is a POG. Grabted, special status, but still not an 03 (Army version of... Not sure if there's 11B's and related like 03's or if the army uses a different system.

Old 10-23-2019, 11:47 AM

39,219 posts, read 27,582,466 times
I have a good friend whose MOS starts with 08, a Field Artillery Cannoneer? (I could be wrong)

He has been deployed at least four times, and has a purple heart. I heard other Marines making fun of him once, saying he is still a POG. He was never offended by that.

I am just a civilian, I've been told in the Marine Corps at least, if you are not 03xx, then you are a POG. To me, MOS doesn't really matter, there are only true warriors. I think my friend is a true warrior although he's not a 03xx.

Old 10-24-2019, 08:38 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,683,726 times
A “combat medic” who is never attached to a combat unit has no room to talk about this.

Old 10-24-2019, 11:07 AM

1,066 posts, read 629,181 times
There are Pog infantryman just as much as any other pog mos’s. We have crap birds who are completely useless that no one wants and ends up kicking them into full time positions like base mail clerk, or assistance to high ups as detail people.

I was 11b airborne for years, never understood why people care so much about pog titles and whether they are or not considered a pog.

Any pog to me would be during pt while we would be running 5-10 miles and passing fat lazy people walking to breakfast chow during pt hours.

A title doesn’t quantify or qualify you as pog or not imo. I’ve also met marines who are electricians etc completely fat and out of Shape, and other misc job titles claiming anyone but a marine is a pog. Just nature of the beast.

If you are looking for some kind of self satisfaction. Won’t get it from me, anyone in any job can be a pog. Infantry sitting in guard towers on a big base never going on patrols and eating at Burger King and doing details all day is a, pog to me just as a cook would be.

Hell maybe the cook hits the gym 24/7 and is a badass ripped guy and the lazy national guard infantryman is a fat sack of poo. I’d consider the cook to be better entitled to call the lazy infantry out of shape guy a pog.

Old 10-24-2019, 07:38 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,627,074 times
From what my Army infantry MOS friends would talk about, anyone not in an 11 bravo (infantry designation) in the Army was a POG. Or a REMF (rear echelon mo' fo').

Doesn't matter if it's combat arms like tanker or artilleryman, not 11 bravo, you're a POG. It is true certain non-11B MOS' get respect like combat medics. But nevertheless, not 11B, you're a POG.

With the wars in Iraq, another popular term for POG's was Fobbit, those who spend all their forward deployment time to combat zones on a FOB (forward operating base), behind the wire and away from direct combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Oq2LdbSIu0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues