Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 02:30 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,430,050 times

Advertisements

As a military mom and a former teacher I know many young men that are serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. I hear from many that they rarely hear from their friends and family. It's so sad to think that these people feel so alone.

So what can you do? Find out their e-mail addresses. If you can post here you can take the time once a week to send them a short note or a picture of something that is of interest to them. Check and see if they have a MySpace or Facebook page. When they can check their e-mail they will be heartened to find something in there other than spam.

Take some time to reach out to those that serve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 03:03 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,873 times
That is a great reminder. I'm going to start e-mailing my friends son even though I don't know him that well. I'm sure he'll appreciate that everyone is thinking of him and all the other soldiers.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:25 PM

687 posts, read 2,032,608 times
YES! I just signed up a couple of months ago to "Adopt" a US Soldier. Soldiers sign up on the site and their information is passed to those who want to support them in the way of letters and possible packages.

We have 2...sent of stuff to them both. I heard back from one of them today via a letter and it brought tears to my eyes. We sent him a package filled with goodies, snacks, magazines etc. He was so grateful. I also sent him a letter along with 4 other letters to pass on. He said that was what was most important to him was to be able to pass on letters to some in his platoon that are getting nothing. Nothing from any friends, family or acquaintances at all. He was so thankful and said a few times on what a morale boost it is to get mail. Just even a letter. He said it means so much to know people are thinking about our soldiers that are out on tours.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:54 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
When I was stationed in Korea (2002; right before Iraq got nasty nasty & people started to forget about Afghanistan), I received a huge box of letters from a 6th grade class in my hometown. There is a group in my hometown that has the grade schools write letters & send them to Soldiers from their hometown.

It was just so heartwarming.

I was in a non-hostile area (so to speak) & it made my day.

I can ONLY imagine what it does for those in Iraq & Afghanistan.

I know my dh lived for our letters when he was in Iraq. They were on commo blackout more often than not, so letters where he saw my handwriting were what kept him going along with his favorite candies & such.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:04 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
Where can I find a soldier to "adopt" and send letters to?

Old 07-14-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Where can I find a soldier to "adopt" and send letters to?
I have went through this one "Adopt a US Soldier"

Home

And I have heard things from people and soldiers on this one

AnySoldier.com

You can't go wrong with either one and any volunteers are so appreciated.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:33 PM

799 posts, read 3,227,518 times
Wow, I didn't even know this site existed!! (anysoldier.com)

Old 07-14-2008, 10:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,528 times
Default brave men and women

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeg4sushi View Post
Wow, I didn't even know this site existed!! (anysoldier.com)
do ur best for all are children for years to come thank you.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:07 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,430,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_Mom View Post
I have went through this one "Adopt a US Soldier"

Home

And I have heard things from people and soldiers on this one

AnySoldier.com

You can't go wrong with either one and any volunteers are so appreciated.

Thanks for posting this. I know that there are so many that will use those sites to contact some of our military members.

What prompted me to start this thread was a bulletin that I had received via MySpace from one of my former students in Iraq. He was castigating all of his friends and family about the fact that they were not keeping in touch. This young man, 22 to be exact, is on his 3rd tour in Iraq. He was very upset that he could get on MySpace and see that they were all interacting and talking about where they went last weekend and what they did. It was quite an eye opener for me. I had been in contact with him since he first went over there but I had no idea that he felt so much animosity for those that called themselves his friends.
I know that he doesn't care what political beliefs you hold. He just wants you all to know that he is doing his job and while you may not agree with the politics involved in Iraq, tomorrow it may be something you do agree with and it will still the same wonderful people that decided to join the United States military to secure and protect our freedoms.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
Thanks for posting this. I know that there are so many that will use those sites to contact some of our military members.

What prompted me to start this thread was a bulletin that I had received via MySpace from one of my former students in Iraq. He was castigating all of his friends and family about the fact that they were not keeping in touch. This young man, 22 to be exact, is on his 3rd tour in Iraq. He was very upset that he could get on MySpace and see that they were all interacting and talking about where they went last weekend and what they did. It was quite an eye opener for me. I had been in contact with him since he first went over there but I had no idea that he felt so much animosity for those that called themselves his friends.
I know that he doesn't care what political beliefs you hold. He just wants you all to know that he is doing his job and while you may not agree with the politics involved in Iraq, tomorrow it may be something you do agree with and it will still the same wonderful people that decided to join the United States military to secure and protect our freedoms.
I agree with you. Some of them even have email they can access once in a while. This is a snip of the reply letter I got from my soldier TODAY! I was so tickled that he even took the time to write back. My daughters are involved in sending cards/letters they make as well. Our first care packages we sent and I took them shopping with me to pick stuff out. They loved picking things to send and figuring out what wouldn't melt etc. They are aware of the soldiers over there (they are too young too understand too much) and that it's nice to send them letters and things as they don't really have anyone sending them communication.

Quote:
Thank you so much for the gifts and letters. It truly helps to receive such words of encouragement and support. I'll be sure to pass out the letters you sent so don't be surprised if you receive a response.

*snip*

Please call me ******. I'm in the platoon leader for *******. We are currently in Iraq watching detainees (we can't call them "prisoners") It's a relatively safe mission, but very frustrating and monotonous. We work long hours, in extreme heat and with not th best living conditions. Currently as I write this, my A/C is out for the 3rd time this week and it's 130 degrees out. Fun! Fun!

*snip*

Everything you have sent I will share with the soldiers of my platoon. I signed up with Adopt a Soldier for them. It is perfect that you are reaching out to the soldiers that might not have anyone to write or hear from. This will be a huge morale boost for them.

The letters from your daughters are great! Please tell them thank you from me. It received this package on the 4th of July, so their drawings were perfect.

Again, I can't tell you how much it helps to hear that we are being thought of over here. You are making a difference. Pleas continue supporting the troops over here and I thank you for your patriotism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues