Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 03:24 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times

Advertisements

I'm applying for a Govt position and I'd like to use the Veteran's Recruitment Appointment option. One of the criteria is that you served active duty (excluding training) during a campaign and were awarded the National Defense Service Medal. I did serve during one of the time frames stated: 2 Aug 1990-30 November 1995 (I served while Operation Desert Shield just started) but I was never awarded this ribbon/medal and it's not listed in my DD214. I also served in the Air National Guard active duty from 2003-2006, but most of that was training, short 2 week stints, and a 6 week TDY assignment at Ft Lewis.

So my question is, since I did serve during Operation Desert Shield time frames, do I qualify for the National Defense Service Medal and it was just an oversight or not? Since I was not awarded the medal on my DD214 although it's clear by the time frames that I do fulfill the requirements, can I apply for the Govt job under the Veteran's Recruitement Appointment or should I just apply under the Veteran's Employment Opportunity Act? I think the first is a 10 pt award while the second is a 5 pt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 08:57 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
Well, I can't answer all of your questions but I am pretty sure you do qualify for the national Defense Medal.

Serving during a campaign is different and receiving a campaign medal is different.

I have seen a few different ways in which places give a 5 point preference, 10 point I have only seen for disabled or other special veterans.

For 5 point I have seen any active duty veteran with service over 3 years; I have seen active service but must have aquired a campaign badge in the listed campaigns; anyopne with service after 9/11; and maybe something else but can not think of it.

I would pursue the medal with the DOD as you earned it and I do not really see how it was not noticed by you or your processing clerk.

I know the online apllications are a pain because they do not allow room for you to explain special circumstances, my advice also is you should contact the agency you are applying for and ask them about it, make sure to get a name.

Good luck.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:10 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,159,933 times
Your DD form 214 should reflect your time of service and ribbons/medals awarded, this was reviewed at the time of your separation. Contact your servicing agency and ask the question.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:47 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Your DD form 214 should reflect your time of service and ribbons/medals awarded, this was reviewed at the time of your separation. Contact your servicing agency and ask the question.
Well I was separated 3 months into Desert Shield. I doubt at that time they were thinking of giving out the National Defense Ribbon, which is why it was not on my DD214 during discharge. So there was nothing for me to review in that regard.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:35 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,159,933 times
Lightbulb Board of Veterans' Appeals Ombudsman (Customer Service): Compliments, Questions, Concerns, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Well I was separated 3 months into Desert Shield. I doubt at that time they were thinking of giving out the National Defense Ribbon, which is why it was not on my DD214 during discharge. So there was nothing for me to review in that regard.
Again, yes this needs to be reviewed if you have questions, the only reason that will prevent you from receiving any benefits will be if your discharge was for other than honorable reason (that is not the case).

Board of Veterans’ Appeals Ombudsman’s or BVA’s Customer Service will try to resolve your concerns and answer questions as quickly as possible. Visit the site and give us feedback. Read and submit your concern and lets hope that you get what you earned.

BVA Ombudsman

Thank you,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues