Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 11:17 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,546,411 times

Advertisements

Gentleart's post about the Fayetteville Biscuit Kitchen got me thinking; we need a thread to talk about our favorite eating spots near current or past assignments.

One of my most memorable was Scrubby's Barbeque near Mountain Home AFB, ID. The rumor went that it was founded by an Air Force Captain that was discharged for being overweight. But, boy, he sure made good in his "afterlife"! They served some of the best BBQ I've ever eaten (they may still be in business; I haven't been there in more than 10 years)

Their food was SO famous that many transient aircrews that were just stopping at Mountain Home briefly would call Base Operations with their order and someone from the restaurant would deliver it to the Base Ops to be taken out to the aircraft. I'm also sure more than a few of the aircraft that used the nearby gunnery range also stopped for fuel at MHAFB instead of elsewhere because of Scrubby's...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 04:57 PM

645 posts, read 1,965,626 times
When I was in Korea, Osan AB there was this little dirty buffett place with the grill on the table. You pick your own meat which was little strips of bulgogi (beef), or pork then you cook it and roll it up in lettuce with rice, kimchi, and some spicy sauces. It was only like 7000 won which is about $7. Good Times!

Old 09-02-2008, 05:08 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,519,521 times
In Korea all the little mom & pop restaurants. Good eats & good times as a poster mentioned above.
I was stationed in a remote area in Korea & out the gate was a place called "Moms" that had the best spicy chicken.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:59 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,803,235 times
At Goodfellow, there was this place (if I remember right) its Old Timer BBQ (awesome food). We visited Ft. Gordon over the weekend and went to a mexican place called Pablanos. In Monterey there is a place next to Blockbuster called "The Breakfast Club". My FIL is hard to please when it comes to food and service and he had no complaints at all about them.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:02 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,676,781 times
While stationed at Kadena AB, Okinawa (Japan), there were several good restaurants. Probably the most remarkable was Charlie's Tacos a couple of blocks from the gate. They had really good tacos and there were always contests between units as well as the different services. Rumor had it though that the taco meat was from horses.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:15 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,546,411 times
Great memories/eats, everyone! I did two tours in Korea and I, too, enjoyed the local cuisine, despite a real aversion to spicy foods. One of the things that cracked me up when I visited Osan was the street vendors who serrved cookies and other treats in bags made of recycled technical order pages. I never encountered any dirty pages (or pages containing "CLASSIFIED" information...) but it still took me by suprise. I guess one of the things that endeared the Korean people to me is that they are NOT wasteful. If they throw something out, it is beyond ALL use!

Old 09-03-2008, 11:09 AM

10 posts, read 38,079 times
Near Ft. Sill, OK you could drive thru the Wichta Mountain reserve, while driving past Longhorn cattle and waiting for the Buffalo to move off the road(I had a chevette at the time, they were bigger than the car) you would come to a place called Meers. Had a longhorn burger that was bigger than the plate, great food.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:39 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,738,077 times
Nina's boneless fried chicken Misawa Japan.................

Old 09-03-2008, 04:58 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,366,829 times
La Strada just outside of Gate 1 in Grafenwoehr, Germany. Awesome food and great owners.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:28 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,779,199 times
Hardee's outside of Langley AFB in Virginia. I know it's a chain fast food place but BOY, them breakfast bacon biscuits, fried chicken, mashed potatoes. MMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so glad that when i move to KY there will be Hardees. Thank you Jesus!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues