Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 11:39 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Is anyone planning to separate/retire earlier based on the new post 9/11 GI Bill? The housing allowance and generous payouts make it hard to resist.

Anyone else?
Depends on the state you live in and how you will be using the bill.

If you plan on doing all distance learning, you do not qualify for the post 9/11 b/c you have to be on campus for at least 7 credit hours. That rules out a lot of stay at home moms, such as myself, who qualify for the 9/11.

I am taking classes through a community college to get a supplement added to my teaching license. The cost per credit hour is $89/hr. I only lose about $100 for the semester by keeping the Montgomery GI Bill & being to take all the classes online as compared to the new 9/11.

Be careful b/c the new one is not retroactive. If you take it, more than likely you CANNOT go back to the Montgomery GI Bill and therefore, you need to be able to make it to classes on campus!!! There are stipulations, of course. Schools such as University of Phoenix are going to get nailed pretty hard as that highly promotes on bases & almost 90% of it is online.

Trade schools and schools that just offer diplomas and ARE NOT qualified as higher institutions do not meet the new bill guidelines. Completely online schools ARE NOT qualified for the new 9/11 bill.

If you live in,say Massachusetts, I think the highest amount is $2,000/semester & that state is ridden with higher insitutions of learning. I live in OH where it is $12,000/semester. So, there are HUGE differences per state. Much has to do with how the state qualifies tuition for veterans & so on.

The VA website has a ton of info on it & the website is easier than talking to someone at the VA.

Remember, it's the government & nothing they do is for free

One thing I really like about the 9/11 is that the tuition money goes DIRECTLY to the school instead of you having to put it on a credit card & wait & earn interest until the monthly verification, so on.

There are new rules on transferring also and the 9/11 bill lasts longer than the Montgomery GI Bill.

It's good to see the changes, but it still has a lot of flaws. People just have to be careful b/c while at first it may appear really, really great, you may actually lose money or be put into a situation where you are stuck with the 9/11 and can't get the $$ b/c you don't meet the guidelines. Again, I think the biggest issue will be for those who are depending on it & don't want to actually physically attend a class...

As for the zip code issue, on the VA Education website they specifically guide you to the BAH website if you are on the page about the 9/11 Bill. It's even in red or highlighted...quite simple...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
Your tenth year of service must be under contract to transfer the benefits to a dependent. EG, I believe the earliest you can transfer is if you signed up for six years then re-enlist for an additional four years. As it's written, you can submit your application to transfer to a dependent that very day. What I can't find is if you separate for whatever reason before the tenth year, do they stop the dependent benefits? The other unclear questions are if use half the benefits, could you transfer the remaining half? If the enlisted member transfers benefit but is still in military, can the depentent collect the living stiphen?
I believe dependants qualify if you seperated due to medical.

And no, can't get double BAH. I remember reading that in some article a few months back.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:55 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,701,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post

Depends on the state you live in and how you will be using the bill.

If you plan on doing all distance learning, you do not qualify for the post 9/11 b/c you have to be on campus for at least 7 credit hours. That rules out a lot of stay at home moms, such as myself, who qualify for the 9/11.

I am taking classes through a community college to get a supplement added to my teaching license. The cost per credit hour is $89/hr. I only lose about $100 for the semester by keeping the Montgomery GI Bill & being to take all the classes online as compared to the new 9/11.

Be careful b/c the new one is not retroactive. If you take it, more than likely you CANNOT go back to the Montgomery GI Bill and therefore, you need to be able to make it to classes on campus!!! There are stipulations, of course. Schools such as University of Phoenix are going to get nailed pretty hard as that highly promotes on bases & almost 90% of it is online.

Trade schools and schools that just offer diplomas and ARE NOT qualified as higher institutions do not meet the new bill guidelines. Completely online schools ARE NOT qualified for the new 9/11 bill.

If you live in,say Massachusetts, I think the highest amount is $2,000/semester & that state is ridden with higher insitutions of learning. I live in OH where it is $12,000/semester. So, there are HUGE differences per state. Much has to do with how the state qualifies tuition for veterans & so on.

The VA website has a ton of info on it & the website is easier than talking to someone at the VA.

Remember, it's the government & nothing they do is for free

One thing I really like about the 9/11 is that the tuition money goes DIRECTLY to the school instead of you having to put it on a credit card & wait & earn interest until the monthly verification, so on.

There are new rules on transferring also and the 9/11 bill lasts longer than the Montgomery GI Bill.

It's good to see the changes, but it still has a lot of flaws. People just have to be careful b/c while at first it may appear really, really great, you may actually lose money or be put into a situation where you are stuck with the 9/11 and can't get the $$ b/c you don't meet the guidelines. Again, I think the biggest issue will be for those who are depending on it & don't want to actually physically attend a class...

As for the zip code issue, on the VA Education website they specifically guide you to the BAH website if you are on the page about the 9/11 Bill. It's even in red or highlighted...quite simple...

[SIZE=3]If you do 100% online, you do qualify for the new gi bill paying the tuition, just not the housing stipend…[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I think I know why they choose to pay the school directly. I’m going to air some dirty laundry, there are many grants available, what’s happening is grant is paying the school directly and people are able to pocket the full old GI BILL. [/SIZE]

Old 07-29-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
[SIZE=3][font=Calibri]I think I know why they choose to pay the school directly. I’m going to air some dirty laundry, there are many grants available, what’s happening is grant is paying the school directly and people are able to pocket the full old GI BILL.
They could still do it with the Montgomery GI Bill. No one is forced to take the 9/11; it's a choice.

Are people figuring out ways to bank on the Montgomery GI Bill...hello...of course...

The new one makes it a little harder due to the paperwork that the VA office from the institution has to submit.

They are also very behind..so, if someone is waiting for that BAH...you are going to be waiting a little longer than you may think...they are suggesting having everything submitted by May 30th (that's passed) to start payment on Aug. 31 & having the institution's tuition paid...lots may get screwed b/c they are waiting for VA to send in the payment but the payment is pass due & could be dropped from classes.

AND, another kicker, schools do not have to accept the 9/11 bill & some are not b/c of waiting on the VA to pay the institution....

Lots of kinks that need to be worked out.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:11 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
i really know nothing about the bill, but saw this on the webpage of my alma mater and thought it looked pretty cool ....... obviously don't know the details as far as qualifications of the bill or how the extra money is divided between the school/gov't

Drexel University | News | Drexel University to Offer Free Education to Post-9/11 Military Veterans (http://drexel.edu/news/headlines/drexel-university-to-offer-free-education-to-post-9-11-military-veterans.aspx - broken link)

Quote:
Drexel University to Offer Free Education to Post-9/11 Military Veterans

June 30, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Drexel University has committed $2 million to offer free education to an unlimited number of military veterans across all of the University’s full- and part time undergraduate, graduate, doctoral and professional programs, both on campus and online, as part of its participation in the new GI Bill’s Yellow Ribbon Program.
In the program, a partnership between the federal government and Drexel, the University will match the government’s contribution to the cost of an education allowing eligible veterans to attend Drexel with no out of pocket expenses. The federal government will pay up to the highest in-state school tuition, any remaining cost will be covered between the government and the University offering eligible service persons a free education.
Unlike other institutions participating in the new program, Drexel is among a small group of universities with no cap on the number of veterans who may enroll. The University’s contribution allows veterans who meet government and University admissions requirements to receive a completely free education at all of the University’s schools and colleges including the Drexel University College of Medicine, Earle Mack School of Law, Drexel at Burlington County College and the Sacramento Center for Graduate Studies.
The educational assistance in the new GI Bill, including the Yellow Ribbon Program, differs from the Montgomery GI Bill’s benefits by expanding the government’s financial commitment to educational assistance. The new program allows the government to pay each student’s costs directly to the University rather than requiring veterans to request a reimbursement, as in the original GI Bill. Other new educational benefits include monthly housing and textbook stipends.
“Drexel University will continue its long tradition of providing educational opportunities to military personnel, be it on one of our three campuses or in one of our 60-plus fully online degree programs” University Provost Mark Greenberg said.
“We are proud to be able to give back to those who have sacrificed so much to serve their country,” Greenberg added.
In addition to its 73 full-time undergraduate programs, 78 master's programs and 32 doctoral programs, Drexel offers comprehensive online undergraduate and graduate programs through Drexel Online (Drexel Online University - Online College Degrees & Online MBA Programs).
Drexel Online, winner of the 21st Century Best Practice Award for Distance Learning from the United States Distance Learning Association, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Drexel University, specializing in innovative, Internet-based distance education programs for working professionals and corporations in the United States and abroad Online degree programs include engineering, teacher education, nursing, library science and business administration.
The Post-9/11 GI Bill, passed by Congress last year, is the most extensive educational assistance program authorized since the original GI Bill was signed into law in 1944. The Yellow Ribbon program was authorized by Congress under the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 and will take effect August 1, 2009.

The Department of Veterans Affairs expects 460,000 veterans to participate during the first year of the program. VA officials anticipate a 20 to 25 percent increase in the total number of applications for veteran’s educational programs.
According to the VA, eligible veterans include those who served an aggregate period of active duty after Sept. 10, 2001, of at least 36 months or were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and served 30 continuous days after Sept. 10, 2001.
For information on the new GI Bill and specific benefit questions contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-GIBILL-1
For more information about Drexel’s on campus programs contact Drexel University at 800-2-DREXEL or enroll@drexel.edu or visit our website at Drexel University - Comprehensive, integrated academics enhanced by co-operative education, technology, and research opportunities.
For more information about Drexel’s online degree programs contact Drexel Online at 877-215-0009 or info@drexel.com.
For more information about using your military benefits to fund a Drexel education contact Jeffrey Linskens, associate director, Student Resource Center, at 215-895-6413 or jeffery.r.linskens@drexel.edu
More information can be found at Yellow Ribbon Program - Drexel Financial Aid (http://www.drexel.edu/financialaid/yellowribbon - broken link)

Old 07-29-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
They could still do it with the Montgomery GI Bill. No one is forced to take the 9/11; it's a choice.

Are people figuring out ways to bank on the Montgomery GI Bill...hello...of course...

The new one makes it a little harder due to the paperwork that the VA office from the institution has to submit.

They are also very behind..so, if someone is waiting for that BAH...you are going to be waiting a little longer than you may think...they are suggesting having everything submitted by May 30th (that's passed) to start payment on Aug. 31 & having the institution's tuition paid...lots may get screwed b/c they are waiting for VA to send in the payment but the payment is pass due & could be dropped from classes.

AND, another kicker, schools do not have to accept the 9/11 bill & some are not b/c of waiting on the VA to pay the institution....

Lots of kinks that need to be worked out.
I know of all the published rules of the chapter 30 and chapter 33 gi bills and have replied to every GI thread on here...If there's ever an opportunity to "bank" money, people will find it. I'm glad people are finally starting to see this isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread in every situation...

Old 07-29-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I know of all the published rules of the chapter 30 and chapter 33 gi bills and have replied to every GI thread on here...If there's ever an opportunity to "bank" money, people will find it. I'm glad people are finally starting to see this isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread in every situation...
I don't remember the amount...but I had a soldier 3 days from getting that final stamp...something like $8,000 scammed in BAH & the dear ole Army said "We want the $8,000. Now." Yeah, then had to spend weeks following up on congressionals b/c Private Stupid thought it was unfair and unjust that he was being held in the Army against his will. His Congressman said that he was undergoing extreme maritial difficulties and hence why he lived in both the barracks and had an apt & drew BAH. The same old song and dance.

Some of the biggest scammers are in the military. One of the easiest places to get free money and free healthcare.

And as much as I will defend the military, I'll be one of the first to say they are never & will never give something away for the sake of being nice & friendly. There is a catch. There always is.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:02 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
Quote:

I am not sure that this is correct. I have seen that you cannot get BAH for online learning, but nowhere have I seen that 100% online learning is not allowed for post 9/11 GI Bill.

I am interested to see the VA document that outlines this b/c my husband was considering transferring some of his bennies to me and I was going to use them for a distance graduate program. I don't want to make plans to find out later that I have to come up with thousands of more money out of pocket than I had planned on.

Edit: I just found this on the VA site

http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Inf...rt.htm#SCHOOLS

go down to the table "Eligible Programs" and it says the post 9/11 GI bill covers IHL distance/online learning.

So, I am confused - did you find somewhere where this particular eligibility does not transfer to dependents? I'm not trying to contradict you at all, just trying to make sure I know what is covered if we decide to transfer benefits.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
I am not sure that this is correct. I have seen that you cannot get BAH for online learning, but nowhere have I seen that 100% online learning is not allowed for post 9/11 GI Bill.

I am interested to see the VA document that outlines this b/c my husband was considering transferring some of his bennies to me and I was going to use them for a distance graduate program. I don't want to make plans to find out later that I have to come up with thousands of more money out of pocket than I had planned on.

Benefit Comparison Chart - (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs)

go down to the table "Eligible Programs" and it says the post 9/11 GI bill covers IHL distance/online learning.

So, I am confused - did you find somewhere where this particular eligibility does not transfer to dependents? I'm not trying to contradict you at all, just trying to make sure I know what is covered if we decide to transfer benefits.
You didn't read the rest of the posts, but I'll give you the short. You are elidible for the GI bill paying all the tuition if 100% online. However the new GI BILL does not pay for the housing stiphen if online...

Old 07-30-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post

Benefit Comparison Chart - (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs)

The new 9/11 covers distance learning but you have to physically attend at least half time a semester to get the BAH & I believe that no matter what, the BAH does not get transferred to dependants, just the tuition/books. As standard, BAH follows the soldier. Your tuition will be covered (up to the max amt allowed by the state) but you will not get any stipend though you will get $1000 spread out over 12 months for books. At the end of June when I called the VA, how the book allowance was going to work was still not determined...go figure!!!

I was trying to use it to take classes plus bring in a mild income for the family, but just can't get to campus due to dh work schedule. I'd get $1,200/mnth (pre-tax)...so I was sorta bummed. Still, going to use up the remainder of what I qualify for under the Montgomery GI Bill. I was in when you still had to pay into it, so I want some return on the investment!

The new 9/11 is close to impossible to pass up for grad school. My husband is going to use it for law school next fall.

Good luck!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues