Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2008, 12:44 PM

143 posts, read 415,439 times

Advertisements

A video of the conditions Russian soldiers live in.

BBC NEWS | Europe | Rap earns Russian soldier 'exile'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 09:31 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
I believe we in the U.S. military probably have the best living conditions and humane treatment of any nation's armed forces in the world. I was fortunate to be stationed in West Germany when the Berlin Wall came down (1989) Shortly after the wall fell, we took a Rec Center tour to Berlin. Berlin was a wonderful city and we had a wonderful time. But, on the return trip, we drove through what used to be the Soviet Sector. We passed several Russian Army compounds (Kasernes). We saw troops that had pulled all of their belonings outside of the buildings and were trying to sell stuff to get money to eat and hopefully return home. We in the U.S. military enjoyed a FAR better relationship with our West German hosts than the Russian troops did as occupiers of East Germany...

Old 10-14-2008, 06:50 PM

116 posts, read 331,924 times
Crew Chief, I wish more spouses were aware of that stark contrast. Well, some soldiers, too, to be honest. It gets pretty tiring listening to the complaints about this awful housing or that innadequate pay, or whatever else they find to complain about. We really do have it awfully good, not just in comparison to other nations, but compared to this nation years ago. I wish people would be more appreciative. They'd enjoy it more. We are definitely blessed.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:51 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisiesnfreckles View Post
Crew Chief, I wish more spouses were aware of that stark contrast. Well, some soldiers, too, to be honest. It gets pretty tiring listening to the complaints about this awful housing or that innadequate pay, or whatever else they find to complain about. We really do have it awfully good, not just in comparison to other nations, but compared to this nation years ago. I wish people would be more appreciative. They'd enjoy it more. We are definitely blessed.
AMEN, Daisiesnfreckles! When we were stationed in Germany (Bitburg) we lived and shopped on the economy (as well as on base) We used to just crack up when we read the Letters to the Editor in the Stars & Stripes from family members stationed at HUGE U.S. installations like K-Town and Heidelberg who'd write in to complain about how the commisary was out of their favorite T.P. or some other "hardship" they had to live with overseas. You'd think that stairwell housing was prison from the way people talked. Of course, stairwell housing was a great place to hang out and gossip about your neighbors instead of getting off base/post to see something of the local countryside...

Old 10-16-2008, 11:47 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisiesnfreckles View Post
I think there was a point and time we all complained about something in the military, especially when young and being far away from home for the first time. I was 18 when I went in, and of course, it was the food and barracks I and most of my other buddies griped about. In fact, I believe these are the most common complaints. Over time, though, one adjusts and it's also a matter of maturity. I think if I were in today at my age (43), those things would be immaterial. In fact, throw me in the most primitive surroundings, I would be content.

Last edited by Gil3; 10-16-2008 at 12:00 PM..

Old 10-16-2008, 11:28 PM

13 posts, read 52,930 times
I still gripe about the food in the chow hall, then I get over it and take my happy butt down to the local grocery store, pay insane Euro prices, eat, and be merry =P lol

Old 10-16-2008, 11:34 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,898 times
Yep.....Yooup....

Things in Russia are still bad....getting better...but still a LONG way to go.
This is the horrid mess that the communists left the Russian people.
The military gets the worst of it. I personally know many Russian families with conscript age boys who "fled" (ie immigrated) to keep their kid(s) out of the still WAY to "red" army.
The abuse is appalling, the conditions horrid etc. Sure, the pro government T.V. stations show the "Potemkin village" military barracks all nice and clean....but the reality is quite different.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:34 PM

116 posts, read 331,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
I think there was a point and time we all complained about something in the military, especially when young and being far away from home for the first time. I was 18 when I went in, and of course, it was the food and barracks I and most of my other buddies griped about. In fact, I believe these are the most common complaints. Over time, though, one adjusts and it's also a matter of maturity. I think if I were in today at my age (43), those things would be immaterial. In fact, throw me in the most primitive surroundings, I would be content.
I definitely agree. We all don't like something or another somewhere along the line, me included. But I think you hit the nail on the head with maturity. There are women I would love to just shake some sense into when they complain nonstop about their husbands being in the field for two weeks or so. Seriously?! You're free to go and live with mom and dad again if you want. No one's telling you that you HAVE to deal with your husband being gone from you for two weeks. Heaven forbid. You might perish from the loneliness, you know.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:52 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRChevy View Post
I still gripe about the food in the chow hall, then I get over it and take my happy butt down to the local grocery store, pay insane Euro prices, eat, and be merry =P lol
You should have eaten the food 40 years ago. It's a lot better now and there is more of a choice.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:31 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Many other Navies are much worse on their sailors than the US Navy is as well.

Having seen British, French, Dutch, Spanish, and Saudi ships [and their sailors] it is entirely different worlds that we live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues