Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 08:39 AM

4 posts, read 10,111 times

Advertisements

My wife found this site on our computer and suggested that I ask for some advise from someone out there. I read some of the postings and was impressed. I am extremely frustrated and frightened about our future. So here goes:

I joined the Army in 1978 after high school. I enlisted as an Engineer. Specifically a Heavy Equipment Operator. I.e. Bull Dozer, Scrapers etc. Being an engineer is an extremely physical job and during the first four years I sustained several injuries. Being the “hard core dumbass” that I was, most of the injuries were never documented. Some were. I just grunted through it. I felt that I was a good fit for the Army and it for me so I reenlisted. Became an N.C.O and pushed myself even harder. Not hard to say when the Army keeps pushing you for more. After more years and more stress and injuries to my back it was becoming evident to me that I needed to either change MOS’s or get a profile as my back was getting more stiff and painful I could still pass PT tests but barely.

I was then at nine years selected for recruiting duty. My wife had an acquaintance of a wife of a recruiter who live in the housing complex that we live in an got there number. I called and asked him what I was in for. I felt that this was God sent. He stated that Recruiting is the most demanding job that I had ever done in the Army. I could look forward to sixty plus hours a week of constraint pressure to produce. I told him of my worry about not being able to pass PT tests because of my back. He said that while on recruiting duty is not as important as your production. USAREC is foremost concerned about me maintaining a professional military appearance and production. I was stoked and ready to take on this next phase of my career. True to his word, Recruiting proved to be a tough job. I put everything I had into my job and after a year I was reaping the benefits. I was receiving accolades and decorations. Letters of commendation and thanks from schools and communities groups. In the first four years of recruiting I earned the highest incentive award given, The Recruiters Ring, a member of the “Coronals CAV team” and association of the highest producers. But, never had to worry about passing a PT test.

I converted to OOR. Career Recruiter and was transferred to a small town in Oregon as a station commander. That was 1989. In 1991 the Army was downsizing and Recruiting was no exception. We were given a couple months warning. Those who were OOR and not producing can forget about returning to main street Army. A PT test will be given and anyone not passing would be chaptered out. I tried my best to strengthen my back but only injured it.

I have already made a long story to long, I will cut to the chase. I failed a PT test and then a retest. I was talked down to and treated like a worthless piece of trash. I had by this point started drinking too much and was looking for someone in the Army to help me. I went to Fort Lewis Wa. And turned myself into mental hygiene. I spent a week at the psyche ward. Had another X-ray done on my back, “no abnormalities shown”. I guess I was a weak punk. They scheduled my for Track two Alcohol Rehabilitation. This gained me a couple months to figure what I was going to do next. I returned to Oregon and continued the process out. I went to a civilian doctor at my own expense who told me that X-rays don’t show everything and advised a CAT scan. The CAT scan showed three dislocated vertebrae and bulging disks. I brought this to my company. They asked me what I was trying to do. I said that I did not want to be in the Army anymore but just wanted the Army to acknowledge the fact that I was injured on active duty.

I was discharged, chapter 3. Failure to overcome a local bar to reenlistment. I went home and isolated myself. I drank and felt like a total looser for over a year. In twenty tears since that event. I have been to five Alcohol treatment centers. Been on every antidepressant known to man and have never been happy.

In 1995 I received a job as a correctional officer in a maximum security penitentiary. I was by this time receiving VA disability. A whopping ten percent for my back and ten for hearing. I had pain everyday getting out of bed. Could not sleep worth a dam anyway. Constant pain and discomfort and inability to do anything of enjoyment. Working as a prison guard sometimes require running to a disturbance or taking an inmate down. I was injured more then a few times. Never filed workman’s comp. this was pre-existing. Nine years and I couldn’t do it any more. I resigned and moved to Missouri. Sold cars, or tried to. Got a CDL and drove cross country. Bad move, the bouncing and jarring caused terrible pain. Found a job as a civilian Army recruiter. Was hired and moved to Tacoma. The Army did away with Civilian recruiters in December 2007. I moved back to Missouri for a job that turned out not to exist. After a few months I moved to Oregon. Looking for work. No luck. Moved to Spokane Wa. Job situation no better there, at least not for a 49 year old with a bad back. I heard that the job situation saw better here in Arizona. So in January of 2009 I moved here. In March I was offered a job in a privet prison. Just in the nick of time, I was desperate. After five weeks of classroom instruction I was put to work and very soon realized that I could not physically do this job. I am expected to stand for eight hour. No breaks no lunch. Cant do it. I was caught sitting a couple times and the last had my job threatened.

I had been going to the VA here and was referred to Physical Therapy and a set of x-rays on my back. My doctor also ordered light duty while undergoing Physical Therapy (six weeks). Physical Therapy is almost up and I do not expect to be able to keep this job much longer then that. PT did not help. X-rays show considerable disk deterioration, Arthritis, and some other things. My doctor said that it is “progressive, degenerative and chronic”. He said "I want to see you again in six months". I will not be alive in six months. I am desperate. I have used every dime of savings and sold everything I own.

In a nut shell:
40 % VA disability which the VA wants to reduce to 20%. I asked for an increase last year as was having greater pain and unable to find work. I cant sit for long, I can’t stand for long. Horrible pain. The VA. gave me a quick exam. And concluded that I was better. I have appealed this decision and after a year an scheduled for a hearing soon.

VA refused to give me an MRI or CAT scan which will show the damages to my back much better.

Diabetes, High blood pressure and cholesterol.

Even if I win my appeal $840.00 a month is nothing to support my wife and self. Another request for increase will take a year. No military retirement as the Army used me then spit me out. 50 years old with considerable back problems.

How does someone get the VA to do anything with a since of urgency?

Desperate, Please give me some advise.

Last edited by Crew Chief; 08-01-2009 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: Broke post into more readable paragraphs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 09:02 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,589,976 times
You definitely have a lot going on and you already know the VA and that whole system take a long time and can be difficult to navigate. I don't have advice for how to make that easier. But what I can suggest is...

1. Stick with a program to stay alcohol free.

2. By your own description and hearing that you have diabetes, high bp, and high cholesterol, I'm guessing that you might be overweight and out of shape. That's hard on the back.

Get your Drs advice on how to lose weight through diet and low impact exercise. Weight watchers is a great program, not drinking alcohol will cut calories, and walking and swimming are both excellent low impact exercises that can help you start to shed some pounds. You should also have your Dr give you some exercises so you can strengthen your core - which will help your back. Standing and sitting with good posture makes a difference for that too. Every little thing can help some and it sounds like you need it.

Eating less and not drinking alcohol should cut your expenses too - another benefit that you could use.

3. Your VA disability percentage is an advantage to you in your job search. Veterans and Vets with disability - even partial - get extra points and preference for federal jobs. Go to the fed jobs website every day and look at what's available. Some jobs have very short windows for accepting applications.

Good luck to you

Old 08-01-2009, 09:09 AM

no not realy overwaight. Not fat at least. Over stressed yes, could use more excersize but 6 foot and 220 is far from obese.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:12 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,589,976 times
True, but 6' and 180 is a good range and will be much easier on your back. I have back issues too - am a petite woman - being at the low end of my recommended weight range makes a big difference. All I'm saying is - there are things you can do, that you have control of, that will ease your situation while you wait for help from other sources.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:29 AM

thank you for your advise. I did not want to post my durty laundry or whine to anyone. this was my wifes idea. we are both at wits end. I have always worked my butt off. I am not fat, lazy or a drunkard. I know my post was too long but just wanted to paint a picture of what is going on. I agree that I have control over my life. i'll do the best I can. You gave it. Thanks

Old 08-01-2009, 09:51 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,138,527 times
Frustrated in Mesa,

You should consider getting an attorney. My brother in law appealed his VA disability rate with the help of an attorney and got it bumped up to 60%.
It seems clear that you need a job where there is no physical strain. Start applying for either state jobs, or federal government office jobs, where you would receive hiring preference as a disabled veteran.

Best of luck to you.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:10 AM

thank you Sandy. I have been appling to State and Federal jobs. An Attorney has to wait.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:31 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,237 times
Frustraited, depending on when you got out, You may be able to get an attorney who will take your case pro bono. First of all, get copies of all your medical records, in particular those from the civilian Dr. showing that you had the condition whole you were in the military. start looking on the internet for attorneys who handle these cases or find some of the service organizations near you and request help. Secondly, get off the booze. It will just make things worse. Good luck.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:41 PM

204 posts, read 1,505,416 times
Default Seek Counseling

Frustrated In Mesa, have you considered counseling to give you tools to cope with the stress you've been dealing with? If you/wife have insurance this will not be an issue. If you don't, there are clergy and city/county clinics that are free or charge on an sliding scale. Another poster mentioned service organizations. They can be very helpful in filing the reams of paperwork for disability. The DVA (Disabled Veterans of America) Disabled American Veterans - Benefits Assistance - Veterans Affairs is one I used while still on active duty to get my 30% rating (2002). Lastly, thank you for serving our great country!

Old 08-04-2009, 03:17 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,326,463 times
Frustrated,
Please don't take this the wrong way, but you want tax payers to help pay for what could be the result of your drinking? Diabetes, High blood pressure and cholesterol could all be aggravated and increased by heavy drinking! Please stop drinking, as it is probably destroying your organs.

The better you take care of yourself, the better your back will be. Everything is connected.

I don't know anything about the VA process, so I can't help you there.

As far as the back goes, if you want relief, three proven things might help... chiropractor, massage therapist, accupuncture. You might have to pay out of pocket, but might get relief.

I have heard of the VA taking years!

Good luck with the back portion of your claim, I do hope that they compensate you for this.

It is too bad it wasn't correctly documented in your military records, because that would probably help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues