Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 10:37 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,140,049 times

Advertisements

I want to know where your worst duty station was and why.

Mine was Ft Bragg NC or as we called it Ft DRAGG. I experienced the worst case of "Reverse Prejudice" I have ever seen. Even to the point when I went to the E-5 board and hit the highest scorse possible and they gave stripes to a guy that was busted for dope two weeks prior to the board. But some how the information came up missing from his record.

I tried everything I could to stay at Scholfield Barrack Hawaii before I was shipped out to Bragg, I loved that post and everything about it as well as Ft Sill Oklahoma. But Brgg could have burned to the ground and I wouldn't have given it a second thought. Oh, and by the way, I was a Gun Bunnie/Redleg/ cannon cocker

So after my tour of duty at Ft Dragg I got out for little while , cooled my jets and rejoined as a United States Navy SeaBee and dang proud of too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 02:27 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,226,934 times
USS Coral Sea, bird farm, CV-43. One of the older carriers in the '70's and I hated the chow lines, the chow was pretty awful all by itself (except breakfast - How bad can they really mess up eggs?). As an E-3, I did everything twice - mess deck duty, supply duty, berthing clean up duty, etc. The sponson watch every 4 days and usually the mid watch. Yep, less than stellar tour there.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:07 PM

303 posts, read 1,560,874 times
My worst duty station was Yokota AB. Being in the Navy and being stationed on an Air Force base you would think that I would enjoy it. Well I didn't. First of all I was stationed previously in tropical climates; Hawaii and Guam, which I enjoyed. But when I pcs'd to Japan, where it's overcast most of the year and there's no beaches around, I was just miserable.

Another thing about the base is that it's pretty boring, compared to Yokoskua Naval base. There's just more activity on the Naval bases than on the Air Force bases for some reason.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:47 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,667,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takes1 2 Know1 View Post
My worst duty station was Yokota AB. Being in the Navy and being stationed on an Air Force base you would think that I would enjoy it. Well I didn't. First of all I was stationed previously in tropical climates; Hawaii and Guam, which I enjoyed. But when I pcs'd to Japan, where it's overcast most of the year and there's no beaches around, I was just miserable.

Another thing about the base is that it's pretty boring, compared to Yokoskua Naval base. There's just more activity on the Naval bases than on the Air Force bases for some reason.
I was stationed at Yokota AB 1982-1986. Granted, the base itself isn't much, and IMO the same for Yokosuka NB. However, there are many things to do off base like taking trains to Tokyo, riding a bike in the hills/mountains nearby, or climbing Mt. Fuji.

I was also stationed at Hawaii 1986-1990. Interesting that you mentioned how much you love tropical climates and beaches, but now live in Tucson.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:24 AM

303 posts, read 1,560,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
I was also stationed at Hawaii 1986-1990. Interesting that you mentioned how much you love tropical climates and beaches, but now live in Tucson.
Believe me, if I could afford to live in Hawaii I would.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:13 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,140,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takes1 2 Know1 View Post
Believe me, if I could afford to live in Hawaii I would.
And that goes double for me.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:47 PM

163 posts, read 669,491 times
I am Coast Guard and I would have to say my worst was New Orleans, I was there 2 years before Hurricane Katrina, and 2 years after, and I did not like it before the Hurricane to say the least. All the violence, drugs, everything was just a mess. Everyone seemed to think they were owed something there for some reason. Now my command was ok, but due to the city it just brought everything down and was just a drag to live there.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:54 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,424,754 times
Twenty two years in theArmy and I can't say that any one of my assignments was dreadful (except maybe Afghanistan or Croatia deployments). Have been to Germany several times, Ft Lewis, Ft Sam Houston (TX), Ft Gordon GA, Hawaii. I guess I've been pretty fortunate. I always say that it is what you make of the place. I could be at some of the Army's worsts assignments (Polk, Irwin, etc) and find something good about it, or fun things to do.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:36 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,531,511 times
When I was stationed at Langley AFB, VA, I saw this graffiti in the AMC terminal regarding nearby Fort Eustis, VA:

Even
Uncle
Sam
Thinks
It
S**ks

I was never assigned to Eustis, so I have no idea if that was really true. I'm just guessing that it was only one person's perception...

Old 03-14-2009, 10:25 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,667,568 times
I'd have to say Riyadh AB, Saudi Arabia. The job was interesting, but the area and locals not so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues