Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 08:28 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times

Advertisements

Just before I left active duty when I made my decision not to re-up I was told that orders were coming down for me from a previous dream sheet request.I left active duty November of 1993 and if I stayed in, my orders were ready for Greece.If I hadn't made plans on the outside and had more notice,I might have stayed for the extra 2 years.Where would you want to be stationed while in (whether you got it or not and whether you put it on your dream sheet or not)the military if all states and countries gave you your first request?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 09:40 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,483,076 times
Good thread idea.

Spain, Italy, (China, Vietnam, or some other Eastern country with a very different culture)

Old 03-28-2009, 07:25 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I did Scotland for 3 years it was great!

Then for my twilight tour I did 3 years in Naples Italy!

They were both fun

Old 03-28-2009, 08:13 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
I don't know as I was only a 2 year draftee in the Navy.
(I got what I wanted on my dream sheet out of bootcamp----aviation--- and I got what I wanted 18 months later----Whidbey Island NAS )

The career airdales I served with mentioned Rota Spain most often as their ideal pick.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:56 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I have been to Rota during a sub refit, one day of liberty and a couple liberty nights. It was okay.

At the time there were posters on walls and pole everywhere advertising Communist rule. They were getting ready for an election. Hammers and Sickles on a field of red. Really scared me at the time. The cold war was in full tilt and all.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:32 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Tough one; I've pretty much been to most of the places I'd like to be stationed. Spending a year in South Korea with my wife would be interesting, I believe. I also loved Germany enough to go back.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:18 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
The last time I updated my dreamsheet with a request for an overseas assignment, I selected Spain and Italy as my two choices...they gave me Korea. While being at Kunsan for a year wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, if I could go back I would still have preferred Spain. I'm not touching my dreamsheet again.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:13 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
there are very few "regular" assignments available for my husband. In a couple of mos, I think more open up when he puts on E7, but I could not tell you what they are. Nothing he could regularly be assigned to right now is all that appealing or unappealing. Its Mildenhall vs Kadena for overseas and I would prefer Kadena's weather with Mildenhall's location. If we went OCONUS I would prefer continental Europe, a place like Ramstein, so we could venture out and see a lot of the continent. I think there might be one senior enlisted slot for his entire career field in Ramstein.

At least in his AFSC, dream sheets are kind of a joke. Do they work well for other AFSCs?

Old 03-31-2009, 07:39 PM

9,762 posts, read 3,414,799 times
I put Germany on my dream list and got it.. 1st go 'round :-]

Old 04-01-2009, 01:50 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
there are very few "regular" assignments available for my husband. In a couple of mos, I think more open up when he puts on E7, but I could not tell you what they are. Nothing he could regularly be assigned to right now is all that appealing or unappealing. Its Mildenhall vs Kadena for overseas and I would prefer Kadena's weather with Mildenhall's location. If we went OCONUS I would prefer continental Europe, a place like Ramstein, so we could venture out and see a lot of the continent. I think there might be one senior enlisted slot for his entire career field in Ramstein.

At least in his AFSC, dream sheets are kind of a joke. Do they work well for other AFSCs?
We got lucky. My husband retired 2 years ago, but before that, we got Ramstein Germany, Luke AFB in Phoenix, and MacDill AFB in Tampa. I take credit for his good fortune because before we got married, he was at Davis Monthan, Ellsworth and Soto Cano Honduras. We loved MacDill...there is not a more beautiful base I've seen anywhere. I worked at the hospital and literally drove along the sea wall to get to work. Every morning, there were dolphins feeding right off the beach and the jogging trail takes you right along the coast line.

That being said, I would take Mildenhall in a heartbeat. Ramstein was great too but when our three years were up, we lobbied hard for England to no avail. Luckily, my husband knew the Chief in charge of his AFSC and she hooked us up with Luke (where our families were). I am not sure really how much faith to put in the dream sheets. As the secretary to the MSS Commander at Ramstein, I got to talk to those who were in charge of assignment and PCSes and it seemed that for every great story of someone getting their first pick, there were at least a dozen of people who were horrified. That doesn't mean you shouldn't at least fill it out. But you'd be hardpressed to find a lot of people anxious to go to Minot, but they've got to put bodies in the slots, so not everyone is going to get a Ramstein assignment or one at MacDill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues