Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 04:52 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times

Advertisements

Comparitive wage rates in Virginia Beach:

Payroll Clerk Salary Survey Data for Virginia Beach, Virginia

PayScale - Virginia Beach City Wages, Hourly Wage Rate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Bub

235 posts, read 380,557 times
Obviously many of you don't know much about "Joe"... Joe works very very hard, he goes where he is told (even if he really hates to), and does the ugly things in other countries that we neither allow or even want to hear about here in USA. Oddly enough he is respected and rewarded for doing these things well on-duty overseas...two days later he is back in the US, in a barracks still a thousand miles from home and has a wad of cash...he is going to LIVE IT UP! Give em #ell Joe!

By the way...those strip clubs, pawn shops, and the ilk arent owned by GIs...They are folks looking to make a buck off the GIs. Maybe it is the Businesses that make the town crappy? I have been to PLENTY OF Sleazy Crap Towns with no military...what happend there?

Old 06-03-2009, 08:22 AM

324 posts, read 1,138,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
Your statement is definitely a personal opinion. I take offense to your post on several fronts. Thanks for the little jab.

A piece of advice "don't bite the hand that feeds you" or shall I say don't bite the hand that protects you. Wow!

I am not biting the hand that protects me by any means...that is YOUR opinion of my post. I am very thankful for what out military does for us. However, I will not bow down to you and your hand does NOT feed me does it, my own does.

Go back and read the originial question. WoW!

Old 06-03-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Very nice stats....but MD on the Chesapeake I bet you don't try to pay the mortgage and everything else on $10.00 bucks an hour.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:44 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centre View Post
Very nice stats....but MD on the Chesapeake I bet you don't try to pay the mortgage and everything else on $10.00 bucks an hour.
I noticed that elsewhere you mentioned you worked for the local government. I checked the VA Beach city website and the lowest salary for openings was as a lifeguard at $8.64/hr. The next lowest was for a housekeeper at the Convention Center for a bit over $12/hr. If you're only making $10/hr you're either brand new or have few marketable skills or training. I know no retired military who would work for $10/hr, by the way. Heck, retired deputies here get $25/hr for private security jobs.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:39 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,627,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
The army tends to attract the worst. (I.E. strip clubs, liquor stores etc)
So strip clubs and liquor stores are the bane of society?

Old 06-09-2009, 07:46 AM

325 posts, read 979,605 times
What happens is, the bases were around when the areas near it were very very nice. As time went on they became seedy for whatever reason. In all actuality, when a military base is near, home prices tend to be higher than normal for some apparent reason (apparently we make a lot of money..lol)

Old 06-09-2009, 10:19 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreda30238 View Post
What happens is, the bases were around when the areas near it were very very nice. As time went on they became seedy for whatever reason. In all actuality, when a military base is near, home prices tend to be higher than normal for some apparent reason (apparently we make a lot of money..lol)
And sometimes there was nothing/almost nothing, then a military base was built, and people saw it was good, so they came to live near the base to get protection, perhaps supplies, provide off-base activities, and establish a business or work in the new business's, and it was good, and this attracted various business's some good, some not so good. Around 1838 three U.S. military sites were established in an area with 70 settlers living along the New River, the area was named “Fort Lauderdale.”. And it grew. Now the area has over 5 million people. With over 10 million tourists per year. Fort Lauderdale and the surrounding area has over 4,100 restaurants and about 120 nightclubs. The military blend in, almost forgotten....

My wife is in San Antonio, Texas today, she said the Alamo still stands, and it is still hot and humid there....

Anybody remember the Alamo?

Rich

Old 06-09-2009, 11:54 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,898,569 times
The same thing has happened in San Diego, the Navy was what all San Diego was, now look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
And sometimes there was nothing/almost nothing, then a military base was built, and people saw it was good, so they came to live near the base to get protection, perhaps supplies, provide off-base activities, and establish a business or work in the new business's, and it was good, and this attracted various business's some good, some not so good. Around 1838 three U.S. military sites were established in an area with 70 settlers living along the New River, the area was named “Fort Lauderdale.”. And it grew. Now the area has over 5 million people. With over 10 million tourists per year. Fort Lauderdale and the surrounding area has over 4,100 restaurants and about 120 nightclubs. The military blend in, almost forgotten....

My wife is in San Antonio, Texas today, she said the Alamo still stands, and it is still hot and humid there....

Anybody remember the Alamo?

Rich

Old 06-09-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I noticed that elsewhere you mentioned you worked for the local government. I checked the VA Beach city website and the lowest salary for openings was as a lifeguard at $8.64/hr. The next lowest was for a housekeeper at the Convention Center for a bit over $12/hr. If you're only making $10/hr you're either brand new or have few marketable skills or training. I know no retired military who would work for $10/hr, by the way. Heck, retired deputies here get $25/hr for private security jobs.

I have a bachelor's degree and make MUCH more than $12 an hour (thank you for asking), but do you seriously think you could live comfortably on $8.64 an hour? Please...... Go to a city where there is not a big military influence, and the wages are gonna be higher. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues