Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 09:57 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,804 times

Advertisements

Here in my county (like many Veteran Friendly states) they offer property tax relief/discounts/abaitment/...whatever you want to call it.

This is mandated by the state's general assembly and was done thru legistation years ago - like many states. This particular tax credit is for Disabled Veterans.

The state requires:

place on file a copy of DD214 with the tax dept

AND

proof of disability:
provide one of these letters serving as a veteran's disability certification:
Award Letter- VA letter given to veteran when disability determination is made.
OR
VA response letter to the request from a veteran for certification

I completed the application and sent a copy of my dd214 and the letter that even says on it...from the VA:
......we are providing this letter to disabled veterans to use in applying for benefits such as state or local property or vehicle tax relief....

Got a call from the tax office this morning who wants me to sign a release of information form so THEY can access my records at the VA.

She explained her department feels the VA's DD214's err in that some veterans are not honorably discharged when the DD214 says they are. (and of course the accompanying letter I sent said I was honorably discharged as well)

She will not give me the tax credit unless I allow them to personally access my records with the VA. This is NOT a requirement by law...just something she wants to do.

I protect ALL my records (health, financial, VA, you name it).... I don't want to sign the release of information form.

What do I do? What would you do? The bills for the county are due to come out next month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 10:15 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
I protect ALL my records (health, financial, VA, you name it).... I don't want to sign the release of information form.

What do I do? What would you do? The bills for the county are due to come out next month.
Depends on what the release says. It should be specific regarding the verification of the disability only. I am assuming that they really need to verify the authenticity of the DD-214 in a similar fashion that many employers/schools etc require that you sign a release for the same reason.

What would I do? I would sign the release.

There are a lot of counterfeit documents being created these days. For example "The complaint also alleges that Billeaud used a false military discharge certificate (form DD-214) to obtain" The United States Attorney's Office - Southern District of Mississippi (http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/mss/March252008.html - broken link)

Rich

Old 06-03-2009, 09:56 AM

224 posts, read 689,310 times
speak with her manager, go over her head..

Old 06-07-2009, 01:34 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,804 times
It's a general release and it says in fine print..... can be used for any purpose.

Veteran's shouldn't lose their privacy. My tax dept needs to know I'm an Honorable Discharged veteran then let me prove it. OR let them do the form for a ONE TIME use- instead of them being able to nosy in my file for any purpose (oh, I'm sure they'll call it official) at any time they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues