Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 12:23 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,637,028 times

Advertisements

I'm 22 and thought about joining but could never convince myself it's the right move. I have a problem with authority and it seems every member summits to a higher authority at the end of the day rather its a newbie or General Petraeus. Is there a military field that isn't so much like that? For isntance like a plane technician doesn't sound like much politics involved, but is it?

Anyone ever feel like they're not really working for America's interests and constitution set by our founding fathers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 12:30 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,491,164 times
i dont know about the authority part, but major spelling problems.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i dont know about the authority part, but major spelling problems.
I'm being serious here. I would like to serve my country, but I want to make sure I'm not being counter-productive. And I rather not be told where to PCS or live. Is there a way around this?

Old 06-09-2009, 12:39 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,387,862 times
Well, I can't think of anything more important or political than a "plane technician". Those are the best of the best, mechanically speaking. If you recognize that you have a problem with authority, you may choose to enlist to break that habit as, you'll be meeting authority for the rest of your life. If you really want to buck authority, major in Constitutional Law and become an attorney for the people.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I'm being serious here. I would like to serve my country, but I want to make sure I'm not being counter-productive. And I rather not be told where to PCS or live. Is there a way around this?
you will have to read and write to be a tech, very serious spelling errors in your post. are you aware of this?

Old 06-09-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
you will have to read and write to be a tech, very serious spelling errors in your post. are you aware of this?
spelling no, sentence structure maybe

Old 06-09-2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
Well, I can't think of anything more important or political than a "plane technician". Those are the best of the best, mechanically speaking. If you recognize that you have a problem with authority, you may choose to enlist to break that habit as, you'll be meeting authority for the rest of your life. If you really want to buck authority, major in Constitutional Law and become an attorney for the people.
I have no need to buck authority. Somehow I don't imagine meeting it the rest of my life, apart from my wife that is. My father served 17 years and then quite to focus on his expanding business he built parttime. I can suck up a power trip on me every now and then but not throughout my career. I think military is structured to blindly lead your superior but I also see it as if I'm not doing the job, someone else will.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:24 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,426,709 times
Quote:
I was told when I joined the military, you are a soldier first and a mechanic, doctor or a police officer second. As a soldier you must take orders from your military superiors, like it or not or you will be punished, and it's not a slap on the hand, it's a serious charge.

I would advice you take some time and talk to a recruiter of service of your choice and ask your questions up front and he/she will give you the answer, maybe not what you wanted to hear. Military men and women have and will die for our country for our freedom, and trust me they took orders from their superiors. If you are set against authority, I would recommend you not pursue this path; I've seen my share of trainees not complete boot camp for this reason. If you have a problem with authority, you will have a difficult life civilian or military, at least if you have a goal to be successful in life.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:48 AM

Quote:
I'm 22 and thought about joining but could never convince myself it's the right move. I have a problem with authority and it seems every member summits to a higher authority at the end of the day rather its a newbie or General Petraeus. Is there a military field that isn't so much like that? For isntance like a plane technician doesn't sound like much politics involved, but is it?

Anyone ever feel like they're not really working for America's interests and constitution set by our founding fathers?
ok ok here you go
exceed means to do more than required you wana say excel - do well
summits are hills
submits means to give in to higher authority
not isntance its instance
the problem is you dont know you are making these mistakes friend not good

Old 06-09-2009, 03:37 AM

285 posts, read 928,181 times
Quote:

This my thoughts and opinions only...I have spent about 9.5 years in the military, every person must submit to higher authority no matter who that person is or what their rank is or even what job they have.

The military in its self is a dictatorship, it has to be in order to do what it is set to do. This just the way it is. If you believe that you can't submit to higher authority then the military isn't for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues