Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 01:55 AM

17 posts, read 34,791 times

Advertisements

I am not in the military but I am thinking about it I am a 34 yr old wife and mother of three boys. I currently working in a hospital and i wnt to pursue a career in nursing. Would the military be the road to go for that opp. also would it be an inconvinence for my husband just to up and do something like this what are the con's and pro's. Thank you I just want I better life for my family
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 02:03 AM

325 posts, read 979,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie4660 View Post
I am not in the military but I am thinking about it I am a 34 yr old wife and mother of three boys. I currently working in a hospital and i wnt to pursue a career in nursing. Would the military be the road to go for that opp. also would it be an inconvinence for my husband just to up and do something like this what are the con's and pro's. Thank you I just want I better life for my family

If you have a degree, go in as an officer and if you do not, I would recommend going into the LPN program the Army offers. Very few people know about it and recruiters rarely bring it up, so do your research and bring it up to them. Pros, stability, benefits, experiences...Cons..may have to deploy, may have to move every 3-4 years (these are ALL maybes...nothings ever definite), and your husbands ability to FOLLOW you (bc some men have a problem following the woman). I think the temp inconvenience is worth the end result. Just do a little research on it. If your having difficulties in the civilian world, the military world DEFINITELY offers you a lot.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:18 AM

when u say deploy what does that mean going into war???

Old 06-10-2009, 02:21 AM

It's just an idea for now i just dont want to make a mistake i am already looking into nursing program i would prefer bns in nursing do u think that possible

Old 06-10-2009, 03:14 AM

325 posts, read 979,605 times
Yes deploying means going to Afghanistan or Iraq. The nursing program is a bit hard to get into, but if you have the right scores, then you should be fine.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:03 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,903,644 times
I believe the military, all branches now, requires a BSN to be a RN, commissioned officer. It used to be you could get your ADN, and a BS in something else, and get a commission and be a RN.

So you would want to get that BSN if you are considering being a RN in the military.

BSN programs are incredibly competitive to get into. Think 3.8 GPA or higher for some of them.

You will also need to consider what each branch's age limits are for entering BSN-RNs and whether you would need a waiver.

You could also look into serving an enlistment as a - corpsman (Navy), Med Tech (AF) or the Army MOS equivalent for that position. From my observation it is training that is a mix of EMT, Medical Assistant, and LPN. And then I think, in the Army at least, you can move on to getting LPN training and licensure. In the AF many Med Techs work at the MTFs in the clinics, doing immunizations, running the administrative end of things (charts, paperwork, etc...) assisting the docs and nurses, etc...

As far as your husband and kids, everyone's experience varies. It depends on what he does for work now whether he can find the same job when he moves, etc....I will tell you I am almost 100% certain you will need a dependent waiver to get in and with 4 dependents, its not going to be easy - your husband will probably have to have a job that pays well enough to just about support him and the kids b/c for the first couple of mos after you leave, your pay could get held up while your paperwork goes through.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:17 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Army Physician Assistant web site: Army PA Information: Home

Rich

Old 06-10-2009, 04:11 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,552,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie4660 View Post
When you join the service you must be willing to realize you may end up in the war zone. The services mission in time of war is to support it and win as soon as possible.

Anyone is bound to end up over there.

Are you willing to do that and be away from your family a year or maybe more?

Can you pursue a career in nursing without the military help? I am not against you joining the military but I want to make sure you know that joining for a career means many other obligations, not just like going to a college to get a degree.

Many people join thinking of education and later complain and cry they did not join to go to war, duh!!!!

Pros and cons? Pros? education, a military retirement if you stay long enough, for you free medical service and for the family medical service at much reduced prices. Also and opportunity for families to travel and see the world, something many families never even dream of ever doing. I have been in about 30 countries and about 25 states in my military career. My kids have been in places like the Eiffel Tower, the Coliseum in Rome, Pompeii, the Oktoberfest in Munich, etc.

Cons? A stressful life due to separations. Your kids may suffer leaving friends behind. Some cope better than others, others not very well and you have to deal with it long distance. It may put your marriage to the test. Any problems in your marriage may surface and see how solid it is.
At times the mission comes first. You will have to be ready to answer the call whether you like it or not.

I have been in the Army 31 years now. We have had our lows but also our great moments. My wife is a very happy Army wife but she had to at times drag the home by herself to a new place while I am away.
At this point of her life she does say, I will not move anymore, been there, done that and I am done.

We are now at the tail end of my career and looking back I do not regret my decision to join. She was opposed of me enlisting and yet later she is the one to tell me to stay as long as I have been.

You can write to me anytime or even your husband and you call me if you want more of the good, ugly and the bad. I actually talked to a couple that asked the same question in this forum.

I am not a recruiter. I would just give you what we experienced and how we handled it and you decide what you think is best for you. I gain nothing trying to convince you to enlist. Actually I rather you not join if I feel you may be not be happy and give a hard time to some NCO somewhere. I would not like to do that to any NCO in the Army.

Let me know if you need further assistance.
Do look under my name and see the message in this Military forum that I have written to people interested in joining the military. You may get some more information about it.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues