Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 02:55 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
You've drank too much of the Koolaid, USMC hardest branch to get into?

All services are being picky now but any qualified person can get into the USMC at the moment. There are two ongoing combat operations in the world where Marines are in need if you haven't been watching the news.

Now the USN and USAF are another story. I'm a Navy Recruiter and am turning qualified people away every day because we don't have a position for them. Many of whom I introduce to my USMC neighbor (Recruiter) and he is happy to put them in the Corps.
Last I'd heard, yes, the Marines are the hardest (depending on MOS and other considerations) to get into, compared with the Army and Navy (from a qualifications standpoint). Both of those branches have been taking Class IV's for several years now, in fact both now hold GED programs at boot camp, which happens before the soldier or sailor goes on to training. Marines require diploma or GED upon entry, no excuses, and like 95% (or more) are high school grads. The days of taking in Job Corps folks were over about 15 years ago. We had 3 guys in boot in '94 who held B.of Sci. degrees, and one had an associates.

I met probably 10 Mustangs, as they're called (that I was aware of), and they are officers with a min. of 4 years' active in the enlisted ranks, who then usually go on to MECEP. MECEP is a meritorious commissioning program (Navy and Marines) upon successful completion of a bachelor's program at an appropriate, accredited university. As long as one meets the conduct, aptitude, and service requirements, they're a shoe-in for MECEP (should have gone into it when I was in). Requires a min. 110 GT on the ASVAB (I'm going by old numbers, here).

I agree with the "education during enlistment/officer obligation", in the Marines. Very hard to do in combat units and even a lot of combat service support and other units, but, many did when I was in and that was 15 years ago. I'll add here too that at least the officer corps in the Marines is approx. 1/3 prior enlisted. During field ops in Virginia (twice a year, 8 weeks at a whack), our CO made sure every enlisted guy got to go to class at Lejeune (4 hour drive, one way, in the Bn van). The guys got to spend that night at the barracks or whatever, then it was back to reality early the next morning.

Not as many boot lieutenants wandering the Corps who can't find their a** with both hands, and I'd imagine the social skills to be able to lead well (unlike frat boy/sorority girl who got their soft science degree or lazy business degree, and somehow thought that would translate into something lucrative in the USMC, short-term). Also, Marine officer candidates have to have a bachelor's degree upon entry to Quantico, no exceptions (unless they do the 'third year" option, summer of their junior to senior year of college).

It all depends on what one wants to get out of their service, expectations, etc. I had a pretty good time with folks from all the services, when I was in. Air Force does a pretty good background check (which is a GOOD thing the other branches kinda let slide, in some cases), so that's a consideration.

I sure liked those Air Force "dining facilities"!

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 06:49 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Air Force does a pretty good background check (which is a GOOD thing the other branches kinda let slide, in some cases), so that's a consideration.
One DoD agency has been doing background investigations for all the services since about 1973. It was initially Defense Investigative Service (DIS), later renamed Defense Security Service (DSS). All service members have the same initial/recurring background checks and the clearances are upgraded as needed/requested by the service.

Rich

Old 08-08-2009, 07:40 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
Quote:
Again, drank to much of the Koolaid in Recruiter School as can be clearly seen http://www.dantes.doded.mil/dantes_web/library/docs/voledfacts/FY08.pdf (broken link). Almost every Airman in the USAF gets an Associates Degree from the Community College of the Air Force out of Tech School as can be seen by their 20,452 Associates Degree's awarded in FY08. Saying the USMC has more enlisted with degrees than any other service is why Recruiters are not trusted.
Being in the air force, the standard for the USAF degree is I think 64 credits. I find it hard to believe that any airman is awarded one after tech school as you need english, math, speech, etc. Many AFSCs might only be a few cleps/dantes away from an associates.

We got into a discussion a few months ago about different services post basic school's accreditation. We came up with if a school would accept Air Force credits, they'd accept the other four services. Meaning if service education accreditation is important to you, any service is the same. I also think with the new GI bill school are greatly going to be more laxed accepting credits as they want that GI money. Time will tell

Old 08-08-2009, 03:13 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Quote:
You've drank too much of the Koolaid, USMC hardest branch to get into?

All services are being picky now but any qualified person can get into the USMC at the moment. There are two ongoing combat operations in the world where Marines are in need if you haven't been watching the news.

Now the USN and USAF are another story. I'm a Navy Recruiter and am turning qualified people away every day because we don't have a position for them. Many of whom I introduce to my USMC neighbor (Recruiter) and he is happy to put them in the Corps.

I'm actually a full fledged Marine Canvassing recruiter. The Marine Corps is overstaffed right now, like I said we not only hit the 202k but 1% buffer allowed. Also the Marine Corps enlistment requirement has always been above the DOD standard. Right now if you have any kind of baggage you're not going to get in. Even if you're qualified, don't expect to get into boot camp until at least March.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:46 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
One DoD agency has been doing background investigations for all the services since about 1973. It was initially Defense Investigative Service (DIS), later renamed Defense Security Service (DSS). All service members have the same initial/recurring background checks and the clearances are upgraded as needed/requested by the service.

Rich
DOD no longer does their own clearances. I had my initital TS/SCI done by DIS back in 1973. The agency that does clearances is called USIS, and I think it's contracted by OPM. I hear they have a heavy duty workload, too. I have a friend that waited three years just to get a secret clearance.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:35 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
Quote:
"Quotas" are set each fiscal year, they do not "shift every month".
i learn something new everyday. still doesn't change the fact that difficult standards and overcrowded are two different ballgames of "hardest to get in."

Old 08-20-2009, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,721 times
hi jake before jumping ahead a do things think about it, do your research and then you can decide , from what u wrote seems as if your are a strong individual who will do well at any task given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues