Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 09:33 PM

204 posts, read 1,505,265 times

Advertisements

I was RAF Welford in 91-92. RAF Fairford and Greenham Common were nearby. Of great interest is the GLCM (Ground Launched Cruise Missile) era at Greenham. By the time I arrived in the UK the Cold War glory days were all but gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 6,661 times
I just ran across your posting. I was stationed at Welford from May 1979 - May 1981. During that time I lived in the barracks at Greenham Close just outside of Greenham Common. About 6 month before my departure the decision was made to put GLCM at Greenham. That is when all hell broke loose. Everyday the front gates were jammed with protestors. I served during the Cold War but would hardly call it the glory days. I am VERY proud of my service but for me the Pride comes frm the peace we maintained and not in the war that could have been

Old 01-03-2010, 10:22 AM

Default Greenham Common

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz157 View Post
I just ran across your posting. I was stationed at Welford from May 1979 - May 1981. During that time I lived in the barracks at Greenham Close just outside of Greenham Common. About 6 month before my departure the decision was made to put GLCM at Greenham. That is when all hell broke loose. Everyday the front gates were jammed with protestors. I served during the Cold War but would hardly call it the glory days. I am VERY proud of my service but for me the Pride comes frm the peace we maintained and not in the war that could have been
Hi, thanks for your service. I was in basic when you left GC. I arrived at RAF Welford in very hot (no misprint) summer of '91. I was used to South Florida weather (Homestead AFB) and England seemed no less sunny! However, the summer of '92 was cold, cloudy and drizzly as it was supposed to be.

Greenham was still open when I arrived. Upper Heyford was also, however base closure rumors about both bases proved true and both were shut down.

Later, Welford was next, the "assignment team" arrived and doled out PCS orders, all but shutting down the base.

There were a few folks at Welford who were involved with the GLCM's short tenure, and their stories were very interesting. It was their accounts that gave me a grass-roots perspective on the era, but it was written history that filled in the gaps. If it wasn't for the Army Pershing II and the Air Force GLCM to give the USSR "cause to pause" there may have been war in Europe.

If you're not a member, check out togetherweserved.com. All services have their individual pages, including the AF. It's free, and you just might re-connect with some of the great folks you've served with.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:51 AM

1 posts, read 6,169 times
Hi my name is Tom Rohrbach,I was at RAF Greenham Common/ RAF Welford from 78-82,84-87.I also lived in barracks at Greenham Close.I worked with Security Police,and with Teltow who is pictured.Are you out there Teltow?Great site thanks for the memories.I'll see if I have any pictures.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 5,949 times
My name Duane Hinkley, was stationed at RAF Welford 72-74,

Old 04-27-2011, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 5,626 times
Hello; TSgt, Welford 78-81, Security Police B flight then later Reports and Analysis/ Ziller was 1st Sgt
Chuck Marhelski

Old 05-08-2011, 07:34 PM

Old 05-08-2011, 07:36 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,019 times
Upper Heyford 86-88...miserable for 700+ days...worst tour ever.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 4,708 times
I was stationed at RAFWelford 81-82 - Best years of my life! From the international air tatoo to the peace camp,
from the Royal wedding, to watching the Thrust 2 crash at greenham, and lets not forget to mention the Rolling Stones at Wembley, AC/DC at Hamersmith, the Glastenbury festival, and drinking a pint sitting on stone hinge, and so much more.
The worst part of my tour was the dreaded BRP, if you know what that is you know what I mean !

IYAAYAS

Old 01-25-2013, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 4,526 times
J. Farmer
I was stationed at RAF Welford in 73-75. I really enjoyed myself since it was my first assignment. Really do miss U.K. sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues