Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2009, 07:19 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,991 times

Advertisements

One of the perks we have is the use of the exchange services. And not only are they brick and mortar stores but catalog and online. So pretty much no matter where we are (especially in the US) we can have things delivered to our door.

Tax free!
and over 49 bucks or using your Military Star card- free shipping, too!

Appliances usually come with an oversized shipping charge of 20-75 bucks but with no sales tax- it's still a bargain!

And the extended warranty the exchange sells, is cheaper than those at retail stores, too.

All the perks! Right?

Boy have I learned the hard way.

I purchased a side by side Kenmore refrigerator. Kenmore, the Sears brand so by purchasing the warranty thru the exchange saved over a hundred dollars on the warranty as Sears is the most expensive in warranty prices (over lowes and home depot).

Before it arrived I needed the specs for a wall so I looked it up online at Sears for the measurments. Found out it was a DISCONTINUED model and for over 100 dollars cheaper.

No, aafes wouldn't honor the price match claiming they don't price match clearance stores.
No, aafes didn't 'know' it was discontinued claiming they rely on the vendor to tell them it's discontinued (meaning the vendor would voluntarily agree to a price reduction)
The side by side was advertised and listed as an Energy Star product...it's not. Exchange won't do a thing...oops they say.

Okay, fine. Lesson learned...do the research BEFORE buying as a good deal isn't necessarily a good deal w/ the military exchange.

Next item up is the microwave/hood. I found a few and they were all discontinued! Not disclosed as discontinued and the price tag still MSRP. I stopped right there and went to Lowes. The range I was looking at- discontinued...

yet they sell them at normal prices.

Just buyer beware. Not only did they sell me an Energy star item that's not, but they sold me an item I could have gotten at Sears cheaper and they wouldn't honor the price match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 09:06 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,702,516 times
I've had a few issues trying to get AAFES to price match. I think they're smart enough to never have exactly the same electronics as CC/BB/Walmart. When it comes to electronics, my local best buy has a 110% price match guarantee that I'll use, thus getting a better deal and sporting my towns local sales tax...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues