Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2015, 01:23 PM

22 posts, read 47,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jichy View Post
I was trying to see my old residence in Royal Oaks on Google Street view when I learned Torrejon AFB closed in the 90s and Royal Oaks was demolished! I was bummed out about that and looking for more when I came across this Memory site. I am amazed to learn how many other people have such fond memories of living in the Roaks. We lived in Madrid when we first got there and I remember we had rats in the bathroom and I played with the Spanish children with no language barriers ever getting in the way. We played Cops and Robbers with them as well and somehow we were always the cops... We moved to unit 31C and lived there from 1967 to 1970. I was in Ms. Hartzog's 3rd grade class in 1968 like Jerry and wonder if he remembers me. I wish I could remember a lot of names like so many of you but am limited. I remember we, my brothers and I, hung out with the Shetterlys. There was Erin, Kiko, Joe and about five more. They lived in La Moraleja and were children of an embassy employee. I often think of the huge pool that I got to swim on the swim team in and went to every day of summer. To this day I love swimming pools and think of it every time I enjoy a nice one. Remember the baby pool how it was a gorgeous piece of landscaping as well? I used to get to go some of the dances though I was too young because my mom would chaperone. "I'm So Dizzy"- "Yummy Yummy Yummy I got love in my tummy" "Jam up and jelly tight" on and on. The music of the era was one of the best things. And yes I remember the Candy Man with his huge satchel and the peddler in the caravan. Peepas and cases of drinks delivered weekly. I have spoken often of Sewer Hopping with no response showing any kind of understanding of how fun it was. No one else on earth has ever heard of it! Because of the great skill learned by my brothers I escaped a gypsy who chased me through the woods. I was able to cross one sewer that he did not attempt and when I reached the playground at the elementary school and looked back he was returning to where he came from! I just brought that story up to my husband a couple of days ago exclaiming how different my life would be if I had been captured. crazy... My siblings are all older than I am- Rebecca. Suzy, Ted, Rick Sawyer. My brothers would play war with me and on their own they would throw rocks at street lights and get in trouble with the Spanish guardia. They peed in bottles and tried to get people to believe it was wine. We used to ring doorbells and run. Our phone number was 743-- "La Moraleja-- diga me!" And the wonderful, sunny days running through the fields I will never forget. There was a hill with white letters on it-- anyone remember? Beautiful spot. The cathedrals and the Royal Palace. Yes, I am reminded of Spain often. So many things take me back and I had realized long ago that I look back on that time more then I refer to any other time and place in my life. I remember the iguanas we would put in the metal trash barrels to startle the next person to open it. I remember the Rastro and Navacerrada. I live in southern Wyoming and it gets cold and can be very hot and dry in the summer as well which somehow reminds me of climate of Spain. Even some of the landscape and the plateaus bring me back.

The white sine said "Ensinas de TOrrejon"
I was there form '63-68 & lived at 63-A in the Roaks
I've got a lot of photos if you're interested, including the white sign !
ken
kennnaaa@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 12:24 AM

10 posts, read 19,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rw3176 View Post
I lived in the Oaks from 78 to 81. We were stationed at Torrejon for 3 years.
I remember living in TLQ for about 90 days before we got the house. I saw some videos of the school in shambles. I lived right up the two hills from that school.

Peddlers selling paintings, milk and eggs, potato chips. Unreal.
My family lived in Royal Oaks 1979-1982. What grade were you in when you lived there?

Old 12-13-2015, 12:50 AM

Default child of Royal Oaks

Wow; it is so amazing to find this forum of people who all had similar experiences in Royal Oaks. I loved living there (1979-1982)! I believe we lived in 214-A. No phones, no computers; life was so much simpler then.

I remember the school was 2 buildings with a parking lot in between, which was referred to as the black top, and if it had rained, we had recess on the black top. I remember if we couldn't go outside for recess, we all went to the movie theater and watched the Little Rascals on reel to reel. I was in Royal Oaks for 1st - 3rd grade. My 2nd grade teacher was Mrs. Fernandez, and she would make us popcorn on Fridays. For 3rd grade, I had Mrs. Wright; she wasn't so nice. I remember an old teacher named Mrs. Madden. She was known as the mean teacher. Her car was full of dents, and one day she actually left it running and went into school!

I have many of the same memories that you all have shared. My brother and our sisters did lots of bike riding. We rode everywhere in Royal Oaks and felt safe. I remember on Saturdays we could go to the movie theater for a quarter and watch cartoons all day. I remember the cafeteria and the Rastro. I remember taking ballet lessons, and my brother's pine wood derby for Boy Scouts. We played soccer, T-ball, and basketball in Royal Oaks and to church at the movie theater.

Such fond memories of those few years we there. If anyone was in Royal Oaks at the same time, I would love to connect. Our last name was VanHorn.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,664 times
Question looking for friends at torrejon 1969 to 1973

does anyone remember Howard Allen , crew chief and family living in Royal oaks.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royaloaksgrandma View Post
Our modista made a new dress for me, copied from the Sears catalog. When she finished, my mom handwashed it and hung it out to dry on the clothesline. About the time it would be dry, I went to take it in and saw a gypsy girl and her brother stealing it. Furious, I grabbed my shoes and ran out of the house after her. I felt anger as never before, and I was out to get revenge! I didn't realize my dad had jumped into the car and was in hot pursuit of me. He caught up with me just before I caught up to her. My dad forced me into the car and proceeded to slap me, the whole time he kept saying "do you realize you could start an international incident and ruin my military career". I didn't think at all before I ran, heck, we were just kids. The moral of these stories...we had alot of responsibility, and most of us didn't have a clue. I guess, we can be thankful for our fathers discipline (it is called child abuse today).
I know; those gypsies were so frustrating, stealing whatever they wanted.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewickman View Post
Hi, My name is Liz Wickman (had brother Ken). I can't believe I found this forum. wow! you all describe so much of what I experienced too. My dad was an Air Force pilot stationed at Torrejon 1977-1980. I too remember the night we flew into Spain seeing all the city lights and being up at like 2 am checking into the BOQ wandering what my life was going to be like going forward. Living in the BOQ for the first 2 months and last 2 months of our stay in Spain- going to the pool- that great pizza place outside the pool , the officers club/dining room with a waiter named Santos who was always terrific and hanging out in the TV room with breaks at the vending machines. ha ha. running all over the darn BOQ with my brother and friends. I finished up my 2nd grade year on base with Ms. Martinez. Shortly after that we moved out to Caneajas (spelling) for 6 months before moving to Royal Oaks. Living in Madrid the city was a whole different experience where little spanish kids weren't so friendly to us and shopping at the mercado was quite a shock with all the fresh carcuses. I did enjoy buying stuff at the magazine kiosks though. However, it was the best when we moved out to the Royal oaks, so many fun childhood memories there. I had Mr. Gamer for 4 grade and I can't remember for 5th grade-man. Nice man who made us make a hard bound book of all our 5th grade work- I still have it. I remember going to the movies there, the pool with the really high- high dive, and going to the cafeteria. taking gymnastics in the school gym... and gypsies coming to our school to beg for our watches (and coming down our street) etc... Those years are so vivid in my mind, they were so different than any other experiences I had throughout my childhood. Crazy. All the best to you. Let me know if you know me or my family.
best
Liz (Wickman) 77-80
When you went to Royal Oaks elementary, did you know a Sean VanHorn? He is my older brother. We were stationed at Torrejon July 1979-June 1982.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy Linna Gonzalez View Post
We were there from 79-81!
How old were you then? We were stationed at Torrejon July 1979-June 1982. Did you the VanHorns? We lived in 214-A.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuprich View Post
Hello all,

Looks like this might be an old posting but wanted to tell everyone that my family lived in Royal Oaks from 1980-1983 or around there. I was very young at age 8-11. My last name is Huprich, my dad was a captain in the Air Force and worked at Torrejon AFB.

My sister and I have very fond memories of Royal oaks. First, we walked to school every day. It was about 2.5 miles to walk. Second the halloweens were awesome! 3rd was being part of the school exchange with the spanish school very close to the royal oaks community.

My most fond memory is that my family was new to the community and it was just after christmas (end of Dec). In order make my family feel at home, the neighbors told my parents that it was safe to keep shoes outside on our balcony every day (it was a very safe area). One week later we found presents in our shoes for "Three Kings Day". It was so cool!

I myself was able to explore the "desert" outside of royal oaks and found so many cool things in the desert. I really don't know what used to be out there since I did not know the history of that area, and I was too young to understand, but found cool ceramics, pottery, and metal artifacts all over the place.

The theatre at the royal oaks community area/next to the school as I remember, was very cool. It was one of the first places I remember going to the movies, and seeing movies like Star Wars, Tron, and other very old and cool movies for pennies (nothing like todays prices).

Thanks.
Hi, do you remember a Sean VanHorn from when you went to Royal Oaks elementary? He is my older brother; we were in Royal Oaks July 1979-June 1982.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarnes View Post
Wow, those were great times!
Do you know what year this pic was taken?

Old 12-13-2015, 05:20 PM

Anything from Mrs. Fernandez 1980-1981 or Mrs. Allen 1981-1982?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues