Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 04:36 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times

Advertisements

My son just retired from the Army last year. He loved the life and had a great, exciting career. However, he broke his pelvis and injured his back rapelling from a helicopter (separate incidents). He was also shot three times, almost died. and almost lost his arm. Although, thankfully, to look at him you would not know he'd been injured, he will suffer from these injuries forever.
My point is that he is fighting for fair disability pay.
If you new soldiers would just keep a diary BEFORE YOU NEED IT, you may be thankful later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 07:19 PM

46,302 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My son just retired from the Army last year. He loved the life and had a great, exciting career. However, he broke his pelvis and injured his back rapelling from a helicopter (separate incidents). He was also shot three times, almost died. and almost lost his arm. Although, thankfully, to look at him you would not know he'd been injured, he will suffer from these injuries forever.
My point is that he is fighting for fair disability pay.
If you new soldiers would just keep a diary BEFORE YOU NEED IT, you may be thankful later.
I feel sorry for you and your child....

However, a note book will be thrown out when it comes to something like this. No retirement physical doctor will look at anything unless it is in your medical records....I tried that...did not work.....

I wear hearing aids, I received a "zero" percent rating for that....yea I kinda won, but only for the fact they will give me free hearing aids the rest of my life....and batteries....

VA is a painful and long journey, I would HIGHLY recommend that he get very active with the local VFW or like community, they will help you better than any other organization..they have people to write and turn in your claim....

Remember....appeal.....appeal....appeal....Make sure he knows his rights....

Old 08-07-2010, 07:19 PM

204 posts, read 1,505,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I feel sorry for you and your child....

However, a note book will be thrown out when it comes to something like this. No retirement physical doctor will look at anything unless it is in your medical records....I tried that...did not work.....

I wear hearing aids, I received a "zero" percent rating for that....yea I kinda won, but only for the fact they will give me free hearing aids the rest of my life....and batteries....

VA is a painful and long journey, I would HIGHLY recommend that he get very active with the local VFW or like community, they will help you better than any other organization..they have people to write and turn in your claim....

Remember....appeal.....appeal....appeal....Make sure he knows his rights....
Great advice. However, a journal is also a good idea. True, the medical records are the "gold standard." Every troop desiring to rightfully claim disability should have/keep copies of those records in addition to the official medical folder in case something gets "lost." Get fresh copies every time you are treated. This can be accomplished at the Records Section of the treatment facility (this is the case at Joint Hospital Elmendorf, 3rd Med Gp). The journal can document issues supporting any snafu in getting treatment on duty.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:11 PM

I'm sorry, but a hand written journal will do nothing for you when it comes to the VA. Anyone can write what ever they want...

When it comes to the VA, they will only take your medical records...no matter the snafu....

However, IMOGAJAD is correct in saying that every time you go to the Dr, you should get a copy of that visit and keep a personal copy of your medical records....

But again, if you have ever been to sick call, with 40-50 people...it will be hard to ask your Dr....Hey DOC, can I have a copy of that...His mission is to get people back to work...not make a copy for you....unless you have rank....

Sorry IMOGAJAD, I just do not believe that will work......

Old 08-07-2010, 08:54 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,146,064 times
Is it allowed to keep a personal journal in the Military now? I mean that when I first joined back in 1979, we were told that we weren't allow to keep one at all . If found by the enemy in the combat zone, the info could be useful to them (the other side) and you wouldn't even know it. You know, the whole Commie behind every bush thing (the Cold War) .

Now on the other hand, when I got out of the service I made copies of my complete medical records before I was discharged and any new entries, I had copies made of that too. It came in real handy when it came time for my VA medical review. Some records entries of my Army past came up conveniently missing and I had documentation of all of it, which saved my can.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but a hand written journal will do nothing for you when it comes to the VA. Anyone can write what ever they want...

When it comes to the VA, they will only take your medical records...no matter the snafu....

However, IMOGAJAD is correct in saying that every time you go to the Dr, you should get a copy of that visit and keep a personal copy of your medical records....

But again, if you have ever been to sick call, with 40-50 people...it will be hard to ask your Dr....Hey DOC, can I have a copy of that...His mission is to get people back to work...not make a copy for you....unless you have rank....

Sorry IMOGAJAD, I just do not believe that will work......
Sorry Chucksnee, please re-read my post. Copies are a REALITY at the Joint Elmendorf Hospital - I've done it many times, and perhaps all DoD facilities are not so accommodating. Within 48 hours you get the official Dr.'s notes for your own keeping regardless the number of patients the provider has seen. Just go to the records release section, show your ID, sign in and within minutes you have any copies for any period of time you desire. With all due respect, I will not argue what I know to be true.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMOGAJAD View Post
Sorry Chucksnee, please re-read my post. Copies are a REALITY at the Joint Elmendorf Hospital - I've done it many times, and perhaps all DoD facilities are not so accommodating. Within 48 hours you get the official Dr.'s notes for your own keeping regardless the number of patients the provider has seen. Just go to the records release section, show your ID, sign in and within minutes you have any copies for any period of time you desire. With all due respect, I will not argue what I know to be true.

Who is arguing? A good in-depth discussion brings out a lot of information.

Please re-read my post, I agreed with you, keeping a COPY of your medical records has and always will be, what I will continue to tell people who are in the military " Always keep a copy of your medical records."

So you are in the AF, I can tell you what you have said is completely false for 99% of Army installations. I wish it was that easy, even as a senior NCO doing my retirement physical, it was VERY hard to get a full copy of my medical records.

Again if you are saying a "Journal" and "Medical records" are the same thing then yes I agree with you.

However, if you are saying a personnel hand written journal will save your butt becasue some official medical records have conveniently disappeared from your medical records, you will get laughed out of the VA when the time comes.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:49 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,901,000 times
Two things everyone should do. Don't be Superman. If you feel you are hurt don't tough it out. Go get checked out. The tough it out if you need to do, but get every hang nail documented. The other thing is make a copy of your medical record every time you PCS. (a daunting task if you wait until you retire.) Funny how the VA often will lose relevant records to a claim.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Who is arguing? A good in-depth discussion brings out a lot of information.

Please re-read my post, I agreed with you, keeping a COPY of your medical records has and always will be, what I will continue to tell people who are in the military " Always keep a copy of your medical records."

So you are in the AF, I can tell you what you have said is completely false for 99% of Army installations. I wish it was that easy, even as a senior NCO doing my retirement physical, it was VERY hard to get a full copy of my medical records.

Again if you are saying a "Journal" and "Medical records" are the same thing then yes I agree with you.

However, if you are saying a personnel hand written journal will save your butt becasue some official medical records have conveniently disappeared from your medical records, you will get laughed out of the VA when the time comes.
The 3rd Medical Group serves the Army and the Air Force. There are more soldiers there than airmen. That is the meaning of the word JOINT "The 673d Medical Group is a DOD/VA Joint Venture medical facility with 60 inpatient beds." I am not in the AF you so pointedly put it. I am an Air Force Retiree. Big difference. I still use the facility. "Completely false for 99% of the Army installations..." Let's say I agree with you. However,the 1% remainder utilize the faclility (5,418 soldiers, as well as over 8,300 family members) (wikipedia) and have ready access to copies of medical records. BTW, I am a Civil Service Wage Grade employee and work with Army retirees and active duty soldiers on Ft. Rich five days a week. You can have the last word on this, Chucksnee. Carry on.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:20 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,035,304 times
Not only retain copies of medical records but any paperwork dealing with a combat tour; orders, awards, incident reports any official paperwork. You would be surprised what the VA asks for to prove combat duty or a paticular incident.

Example: How would you prove being stationed at a paticular base during a combat tour and being exposed to a burn pit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues