Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 11:00 AM

134 posts, read 891,448 times

Advertisements

I've always been curious to know what type of background would someone need to have in order to not be accepted by the military?

This is strictly a question out of curiosity, not that I am looking at joining the military or have any type of background to be worried about.

If someone was arrested and charged with a crime, are there certain convictions that would automatically disqualify anyone from joining? Are some convictions acceptable because the miltary would "straighten them out"?

Are all the branches the same? Could it be up to each individual recruiter or is a standard set policy?

As stated.......just curious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 11:23 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
The military isn't in the business of "straightening out" people and hasn't been since the days of judges saying join the service or go to jail (60s and before). Not that people don't get straightened out but that is due more to the side effect of the training and also the maturing process.

Today’s military is looking for people of good moral fiber and is very selective as to who they enlist with law violations and there type. Background checks are run on all enlistees and even juvenile infractions are considered when enlisting.

Each service has their own criteria and sometime waive non serious law violations if there is a good reason too. Recruiters must follow what's written down in black and white.

In a nut shell the services don't want people with felony convictions, drug offenses or people with domestic abuse violations; of course the list is lengthy.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:45 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I can not say in terms of infantry.

I was a submariner. For us, we all had security clearances. The Navy wanted to feel secure that every submariner could be trusted.

No felonies, no drugs, no black marketing, no larceny, no fraud.

If your going to be given the custody of nuclear missiles and warheads; or a nuclear reactor; then they do not want any indication that you can not be trusted.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:56 PM

134 posts, read 891,448 times
I use to mentor a young kid who was known to get into fight at school. He was suspended from school more than once for this reason. He claims he never started the fights but wouldn't back down from them either.

Anyway, one day he got off the school bus, followed some kid for a ways and beat the s**t out of him because the other kid was rumored to be given him a bad time.

My friend, who was 15 at the time got arrested, charged with assault and placed on probation as far as I know. (I lost contact with him after that)

He wanted to join the navy but of course, I don't know if he ever did or if he would have been allowed to after this incident. (He would be 20 now...not that it matters) I guess I'm curious to know if his "incident" would have been enough to keep him out.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:51 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastcountryboy View Post
I use to mentor a young kid who was known to get into fight at school. He was suspended from school more than once for this reason. He claims he never started the fights but wouldn't back down from them either.

Anyway, one day he got off the school bus, followed some kid for a ways and beat the s**t out of him because the other kid was rumored to be given him a bad time.

My friend, who was 15 at the time got arrested, charged with assault and placed on probation as far as I know. (I lost contact with him after that)

He wanted to join the navy but of course, I don't know if he ever did or if he would have been allowed to after this incident. (He would be 20 now...not that it matters) I guess I'm curious to know if his "incident" would have been enough to keep him out.
No, the Nav would not want this guy. 50 years ago, yes. But now they are more interested in putting girls on submarines.

If this kid wanted a real military experience, he can always go to the French Foreign Legion...

Old 03-04-2010, 07:44 PM

867 posts, read 2,977,553 times
When I was in I knew of a bunch of people who had minor criminal records, i.e. mostly Class A's and below. When I left the active Army in 2007 you can get a waiver if you have one (one!) non-violent felony. I remember a while back (like 6 years ago) I did a sex offender search for Ft. Benning, GA, (my duty station) and there was a convicted sex offender living in my barracks. So, in other words, it is possible. I've heard somewhere the number of felons in the Army is relatively small...in the several hundreds. The process to get in the Army if you are a felon is a VERY lengthy and involved one.

Different branches have different guidelines. I would say right now the Army is probably the most lenient.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:56 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
Quote:
I've always been curious to know what type of background would someone need to have in order to not be accepted by the military?

This is strictly a question out of curiosity, not that I am looking at joining the military or have any type of background to be worried about.

If someone was arrested and charged with a crime, are there certain convictions that would automatically disqualify anyone from joining? Are some convictions acceptable because the miltary would "straighten them out"?

Are all the branches the same? Could it be up to each individual recruiter or is a standard set policy?

As stated.......just curious
For the Air Force, it's VERY strict.
Shoplifting charge= Disqualified.
DUI=Disqualified.
2 underage drinking tickets= disqualified.
5 Traffic tickets within 2 years= disqualified for inability to follow laws.
Possession of Marijuana ticket= disqualified
Graffiti charge= disqualified
2 Reckless driving charges= disqualified

These are a few examples, so obviously anything more serious is also disqualifying.

We don't want to straighten you out- we want the best of society. We want those that can FOLLOW-RULES, be trusted with weapons, be trusted with classified information, and that won't dishonor the uniform with law breaking.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:57 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
Quote:

He's need a waiver, but MIGHT be able to get one because of his age at the time. It'd be tough.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:56 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
So why are military standards more strict than elected office?

Old 08-18-2016, 07:12 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
So why are military standards more strict than elected office?
In the military, after some training [maybe 6 weeks or maybe 2 years] you join the fighting forces. You may carry a weapon and be killing people. We need to know that you are of sound mind and judgement.

In my case, I was assigned to launch platforms that carry missiles capable of carrying up to 14 nuclear warheads a piece. In a crew of 135 men, you have the deadly might to launch hundreds of nuclear warheads.

The level of trust you put in servicemembers are far greater.

With an elected official, at best you must assume that he/she is partial to some group. He/she will do favors for that group, and allow them to prosper at an accelerated rate. Until the opposing party gets into office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues