Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 18,414 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm looking to move to Milwaukee and am wondering about the most LGBT friendly areas as well as the most LGBT populated?
I would be renting if that makes any difference.
I am also not too up to date on which are the safest neighborhoods verse crime rates and such.
I am really open on location. I had been looking in West Allis but know it's not the most LGBT friendly.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Last edited by marvelousmelvin; 09-22-2010 at 11:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 11:42 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,313,037 times
The East Side, Downtown, Third Ward, Walkers Point, and Bayview ("Gayview") are all popular with the LGBT community. Also, Riverwest, Brewers Hill, and parts of the west side.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:48 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,679,746 times
Exactly what quijote said...

Old 09-26-2010, 08:37 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times
Just remember, you may move into a heavily Gay neighborhood, and none of your Gay neighbors may give you the time of day. There are some mighty unfriendly Gay people not friendly to their own people.

If you're Gay, and a senior, your younger Gay neighbors may see you and throw eggs at you or resort to name-calling.

Or you may just be ugly.

I had a Gay couple living next door to me for 5 years, and it was a phyrric victory to just get them to return a hello.

I, occasionally, run into a younger Gay couple walking their dog in the neighborhood while my walking my pet, their noses are high into the air, and I'm surprised they haven't sicced their dog on me!

I'm Gay, open, and the friendliest neighbors I've had have been Straight.

Last edited by tijlover; 09-26-2010 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: Add line

Old 10-11-2010, 09:33 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelousmelvin View Post
Hello. I'm looking to move to Milwaukee and am wondering about the most LGBT friendly areas as well as the most LGBT populated?
I would be renting if that makes any difference.
I am also not too up to date on which are the safest neighborhoods verse crime rates and such.
I am really open on location. I had been looking in West Allis but know it's not the most LGBT friendly.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
First Link:
Quest Presents Wisconsin Community Resourse Listings

Second Link:
Wisconsin Gay News From Quest: Wisconsin's Gay News Leader!

you might find certain communities appealing to you, there are area and neighborhood organizations. good luck!

Old 09-07-2013, 03:57 AM

1 posts, read 13,139 times
Default family houses for family with teen lgbt

We have been in another country for a couple years but from Niagara Falls, NY originally. My 15 year old lgbt has had a very hard couple of years here; especially in school. Will be returning and looking to buy a home very soon in America. We found the Alliance school of Milwaukee and thought it could be our savior for our teen; there seems to be a ton of support we can help him with that is right there in Milwaukee. We are looking for a family home in a safe area that doesn't need to be fancy at all (actually we had thought to get something needing some work even) with a lower tax bracket but around people that will not make him feel badly; this is so important now. I read about the areas you listed and this is very helpful. Only wondered if anything more specific can come to mind to help; we know nothing about this area or state except it seems to be able to give our son and family an easier time, even for the future. Anything that can help is appreciated.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:02 PM

101 posts, read 199,984 times
Bay view used to be Gay View sadly no longer. I think you would feel comfortable almost anywhere lower east side, bay view, all of the places mentioned really. All really safe with the exception of River West.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:38 PM

281 posts, read 928,242 times
My partner and I recently moved from Lake County Illinois to a senior community in Bristol. Frankly, I wish I had not left Illinois. There are a lot of nice gay people in Wisconsin, but they are living in a state of siege. You need to use the internet or word-of-mouth to meet them. Overall, Wisconsin is the most gay-hostile place I have lived in since I left Oregon. The state legislature is dominated by Tea Party Republicans who seem to think gay people are responsible for all the evil in the world. They made it unconstitutional for gay couples to have any legal rights. We have to go to Illinois for our health care; it is the only way. Even the Episcopalians are homophobic. The bishop of Milwaukee has essentially told the gays to get out. If you come to Wisconsin, stay to the far south or west, so you can get to Illinois or Minnesota quickly.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:32 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,105,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerguy View Post
My partner and I recently moved from Lake County Illinois to a senior community in Bristol. Frankly, I wish I had not left Illinois. There are a lot of nice gay people in Wisconsin, but they are living in a state of siege. You need to use the internet or word-of-mouth to meet them. Overall, Wisconsin is the most gay-hostile place I have lived in since I left Oregon. The state legislature is dominated by Tea Party Republicans who seem to think gay people are responsible for all the evil in the world. They made it unconstitutional for gay couples to have any legal rights. We have to go to Illinois for our health care; it is the only way. Even the Episcopalians are homophobic. The bishop of Milwaukee has essentially told the gays to get out. If you come to Wisconsin, stay to the far south or west, so you can get to Illinois or Minnesota quickly.
With hyperbole like this who needs good advice!

Personally these questions of gay friendly, liberal friendly, conservative friendly, kid friendly areas are way over blown. Most people don't care what you think or how you live your life and 99% of people are not going to say anything even if they disagree with you lifestyle or political affiliation or how you dress or how many piercings you may have on your face. If you find an area you like and looks nice and has the things you want then move there, you'll be fine.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:59 PM

175 posts, read 257,048 times
I'm gay, I live in a really nice part of West Allis near the New Berlin border. I am surrounded by straight married couples, some with kids, some grown and out, but I couldn't ask for better neighbors. I love it here, no way would I want to live on the east side or in Bay View just because I'm gay. I am not living in a state of "seige" lol. If you have some respect for other people, they will embrace you in return. If you're going to throw words around, bash Republicans, then you can expect to become isolated. The people around here are much nicer than those living in the so-called gay "community"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee