Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 7,539 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm considering graduate school for Urban Planning at the University of Wisconsin- Milwaukee and have a few questions regarding the school.

--How does Milwaukee rank to Madison in the Urban Planning graduate program? I've been trying to find rankings online, but have been pretty unsuccessful. I know the University of Wisconsin -Madison campus is a higher ranked school than UW-Mil, but I'm wondering if anyone knew how the two Urban Planning departments compared.

I noticed UM-Mil does not have as difficult of admission requirements as UW-Madison-- applicants must have at least a 2.75 undergraduate GPA and GRE scores are recommended, but not necessary. At UW-Madison, applicants must have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0, and GRE scores are necessary for admission. Is this an implication that the graduate program at the UW-Mil isn't as good?

Any other opinions/information regarding the Urban Planning (or Urban Studies) graduate program at both campuses would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 09:22 AM

27 posts, read 80,689 times
I am currently a student at UWM (University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee) in both their Architecture and Urban Planning graduate programs. I know nothing about the program at Madison (as they do not have an architecture program and was therefore not a school I considered). However, I still have the impression that Milwaukee is the place to be for Urban Planning. For subjects pertaining to the built environment, why wouldn't you want to be in a major city? At UWM, Milwaukee is our classroom. UWM has been consistently ranked one of the top Community-Changing, Engaging, and Involving Universities in the country. The Urban Planning program is definitely a major contributor in achieving this. Additionally, being located in a much larger Metropolitan Area, local internship opportunities are far more plentiful.

UWM's program, being part of the School of Architecture and Urban Planning (SARUP), also boasts strong Urban Design options. Running the campus's GIS Certificate Program and involvement with SARUP's charter high school initiative SUPAR (School of Urban Planning and Architecture) also add great opportunities to the program. I would recommend you visit both schools. The department is also strong in the areas of Real Estate Development, Urban Redevelopment, and Water Resource Planning, with a desire to grow their Transportation curriculum. The Urban Planning Department also collaborates with the Architecture Department and Business School in creating 3-year dual degree programs with the Masters Architecture (what I am pursuing) and the Masters of Public Administration.

Last edited by urbanismistheonlyoption; 12-05-2010 at 09:31 AM..

Old 12-05-2010, 01:36 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
I will second that, I have always heard that UWM is known for it's urban planning and Architecture Department. I have only heard this from other people but I have heard it from a lot of people including UW grads so I am inclined to believe them.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:58 PM

11 posts, read 28,377 times
Default GRE scores at Milwaukee and Madison

I want to echo that first post. I just took the GRE an hour ago, so I have no idea what my essay scores are. But my quantitative was a 670 and my verbal was 750. My GPA was pretty low (2.5), but I raised it a point in 18 months. I want to stay in Wisconsin no matter what, but I don't really know what my chances are at either school. I'd be happy at either Urban Planning program, hopefully doing a joint degree with the Public Administration programs. Any advice? I live in Milwaukee but also spent ten years in Madison, so I'm cool with both wonderful cities.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:06 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,312,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linmich View Post
Hello,

I noticed UM-Mil does not have as difficult of admission requirements as UW-Madison-- applicants must have at least a 2.75 undergraduate GPA and GRE scores are recommended, but not necessary. At UW-Madison, applicants must have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0, and GRE scores are necessary for admission. Is this an implication that the graduate program at the UW-Mil isn't as good?
I don't think the lower GPA floor at UW-Milwaukee should be a significant factor. If anything, I'd bet most students enrolled exceed that number, yet a 2.75 gives faculty some flexibility in admitting talented students who, for a variety of reasons, don't have a full B average.

Both schools have good points and strengths/weaknesses. Perhaps apply to both, visit both, ask about internships and placement, research and practicum emphases, talk to other students, etc.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:10 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,312,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomhammer View Post
I want to echo that first post. I just took the GRE an hour ago, so I have no idea what my essay scores are. But my quantitative was a 670 and my verbal was 750. My GPA was pretty low (2.5), but I raised it a point in 18 months. I want to stay in Wisconsin no matter what, but I don't really know what my chances are at either school. I'd be happy at either Urban Planning program, hopefully doing a joint degree with the Public Administration programs. Any advice? I live in Milwaukee but also spent ten years in Madison, so I'm cool with both wonderful cities.
Perhaps apply to both and see what happens? If only one of the schools accepts you, the choice will be made for you. It is possible that one or both schools will accept you on a provisional basis due to your low GPA; you may have to earn a certain level of GPA above the minimum in your first semster or so in order to remain as a student with regular standing. You may want to contact both schools to see if an option like that exists--perhaps even arrange a visit so you can show them your motivation for making a go of it.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:02 AM

4 posts, read 14,634 times
For something as important as your graduate education, consider taking your questions directly to the UWM Urban Planning Department Chairperson: Professor De Sousa: Christopher De Sousa - The School of Architecture and Urban Planning

Old 12-27-2010, 01:01 PM

11 posts, read 28,377 times
I want to thank you guys for your advice. It gives me a lot more confidence, and some direction. It seems like making the jump from undergrad to grad programs is HUGELY different from the jump from high school to college. A lot less uniformity in the advice, etc. It's almost like the country doesn't really care if you get a Masters or PhD. I can understand why the emphasis would be on getting America to college, first. But I really feel a lot more alone in this process than in the previous one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee