Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 05:13 PM

4 posts, read 15,782 times

Advertisements

Brown Deer is nice, quiet, but my limited experience of it is that it consists of one long shopping strip (Brown Deer Road) and other stuff - mainly homes. There are one or two bus lines that travel down through much of the inner city. The shopping along Brown Deer Road is pretty excellent, consisting of grocery stores, home improvement stores, a large garden center and other smaller places. For shopping shopping, nothing beats BayShore Village Center (formerly Bayshore Mall) further to the south in Glendale/Whitefish Bay.

- JB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 06:52 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Brown Deer seems to be a big destination for African-Americans leaving Milwaukee. In 2000, the African-American population was around 13%. Today it is around 24%. As far as I've checked, no murders since 1999, the crime rate is low. Of the areas in the Milwaukee-West Aliis-Racine area, Brown Deer has the highest percentage of African-Americans of all of Milwaukee's suburbs, and the second highest percentage of African-Americans in Wisconsin, after Milwaukee. It is actually higher than Racine's. Maybe Brown Deer might be a good fit for you.

//www.city-data.com/city/Brown-Deer-Wisconsin.html

Old 07-11-2011, 08:23 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
I find it ironic or coincidental that we have several threads entitled African American family may be relocating to Milwaukee looking for African community.

It is odd that we have a lot of those threads then we want to know how to fix Milwaukee's segregation problem. Then we like to blame white people for where black people want to live. People live where they want to live not where they are forced to live.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:10 AM

280 posts, read 648,327 times
Not sure if the OP ever checks this thread anymore, but if you're looking for an area that embraces diversity and don't want to be only around people who look like you, then anything in the city east of the highway should suit you just fine. If you're looking at suburbs, Brown Deer is pretty much the only one where you can realistically expect not to be the only black family around.

And don't let some of the posts in this thread that reference segregation discourage you. I haven't posted here in months because the city-data forums seem to attract absolutely terrible ambassadors for our area. I've never known anyone to not find the type of social environment you're looking for in Milwaukee when they've put a sincere effort into it.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:18 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devitron5000 View Post
And with the implications of what Gov. Dropout has been doing since November
So if Bill Gates was our gov and a liberal one would you still say the same thing about him? way to be uber partisan. Most people people in the world agree college degree means nothing about success or smarts rather hard work and creativity do. Going out on a limb here, were you one of the liberals who sported a "endLESS War" yard sign then the day after Obama was elected took it down. Trust me I have spotted many of these in my area of Walker's Point.

Being a "college dropout" is a bad take. "Step yo' game up!"

I like your advice on Milw but your political viewpoints just come across as bitterness.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
So if Bill Gates was our gov and a liberal one would you still say the same thing about him? way to be uber partisan. Most people people in the world agree college degree means nothing about success or smarts rather hard work and creativity do.
It's relevant to refer to Scooter (better?) as Gov. Dropout because he's made his disdain for teachers and other educated people quite clear. Comparing him to a guy who changed the very way we lived (hell, we probably wouldn't be communicating at this very moment if not for him) doesn't help make your point.

Quote:
Going out on a limb here, were you one of the liberals who sported a "endLESS War" yard sign then the day after Obama was elected took it down. Trust me I have spotted many of these in my area of Walker's Point.
Seeing as how I wore my Marvin Gaye "War is not the answer" shirt just yesterday....

Quote:
I like your advice on Milw but your political viewpoints just come across as bitterness.
Bitter? No. Resentful? You bet! Welcome to Scott Walker's Wisconsin. Special thanks to the mouth-breathers up north who didn't think to question the wisdom of voting for a guy who couldn't win more than 30% of his own County.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:01 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Sadly, it's true... 50% of all college graduates, regardless of race, end up leaving Wisconsin. And with the implications of what Gov. Dropout has been doing since November, I fully expect that number to increase regardless of whether or not he's recalled.

You really should because, despite all the negativity that gets discussed at these boards, a lot has changed in Milwaukee since your fathers' day. Just about the only thing that hasn't is that all of the important decisions are made by out-of-touch old white men which is why almost everything you read about Milwaukee will make you think all we have is beer and motorcycles (and occasionally, an Art Museum).
I thought about the brain drain because I am an African-American male who feels geographically imprisoned. I've wanted out of the South since I was 15. I had issues fitting in, particularly in the exurbs of Atlanta. My father would tell me about Milwaukee and I would compare it to Georgia and it disturbed me that Georgia wasn't what I liked it to be. In fact, I kept reading books about alot of places outside of Georgia and felt like I didn't belong. My father has told me about Milwaukee being rough in a few places, but he seemed to have a decent opinion about his hometown and his home state, and he isn't too thrilled about the South in general, particularly the rural parts. Since I was young I've wanted to leave Georgia and live somewhere else. Wisconsin, among other places, was on my list of places within the USA.

This is part of the reason I've gone through a bit of a shock since age 18. I've grown up thinking "South bad, North good". I get older and realize it isn't true. After knowing this, I'm wondering what really goes on in Milwaukee, especially after hearing all of the bad stuff. I hear stuff like "Wisconsin being the worst state for Black people" and some other stuff that would make me think twice.

I haven't seen Milwaukee since I was a little kid. I feel a connection to Milwaukee because it's my father's hometown and I feel more acculturated to Milwaukee than parts of the South. For me, at this point, I don't have the money to travel(or live anywhere else). Much of what I hear about Milwaukee, comes from the forums. It makes me wonder what things are really like. I

Old 07-21-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I thought about the brain drain because I am an African-American male who feels geographically imprisoned. I've wanted out of the South since I was 15. I had issues fitting in, particularly in the exurbs of Atlanta. My father would tell me about Milwaukee and I would compare it to Georgia and it disturbed me that Georgia wasn't what I liked it to be. In fact, I kept reading books about alot of places outside of Georgia and felt like I didn't belong. My father has told me about Milwaukee being rough in a few places, but he seemed to have a decent opinion about his hometown and his home state, and he isn't too thrilled about the South in general, particularly the rural parts. Since I was young I've wanted to leave Georgia and live somewhere else. Wisconsin, among other places, was on my list of places within the USA.

This is part of the reason I've gone through a bit of a shock since age 18. I've grown up thinking "South bad, North good". I get older and realize it isn't true. After knowing this, I'm wondering what really goes on in Milwaukee, especially after hearing all of the bad stuff. I hear stuff like "Wisconsin being the worst state for Black people" and some other stuff that would make me think twice.

I haven't seen Milwaukee since I was a little kid. I feel a connection to Milwaukee because it's my father's hometown and I feel more acculturated to Milwaukee than parts of the South. For me, at this point, I don't have the money to travel(or live anywhere else). Much of what I hear about Milwaukee, comes from the forums. It makes me wonder what things are really like. I
I know what you mean... I moved to Atlanta when I was 20 and found it to be backwards as hell. It seemed that to most folks down there, "civil rights" meant "put black people in positions of power to perpetuate the same inequality we're (supposedly) fighting against." Unfortunately, I'm not sure how well you'd fit in around here since the black community in Milwaukee (at least the middle-class segments) seems to have a huge hard-on for Atlanta not unlike what many white liberals have for San Francisco and white conservatives have for Texas (and/or 1950s suburbia).

That said, there is a significant portion of Milwaukee that isn't cliquish, doesn't get hung up on the various social divides, and actually does strive to do what it feels is best for the entire city. Unfortunately, they don't get a whole lot of representation in forums like these because they're too busy actually leading productive lives and building communities... ideas that are completely foreign to the racist trolls who flood these boards. But when you think about it... would said trolls be barking so loud if they actually believed they represented the majority?

Old 07-22-2011, 08:06 PM

160 posts, read 349,801 times
Quote:
I find it ironic or coincidental that we have several threads entitled African American family may be relocating to Milwaukee looking for African community.
Yeah. But look at it this way, at least it keeps the race pimping leftists off the streets and on the internet boards, creating conflict and guilt.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:09 PM

160 posts, read 349,801 times
Quote:
Speaking of trolls...
I guess, but I generally try to avoid using worlds like "retarded" in this type of context.
You can call Chris Rock a troll or retarded or whatever you care too. Lot's of "the black community" seem to really like his humor and truly understand how true it is. Come to think of it, isn't most of his audiences black?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee