Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 13,589 times

Advertisements

basically im white and afraid the ghetto, I want to know where the hell to stay away from as far at neighborhoods and towns, of Milwaukee. i called a few landlords trying to set up scheduled showings of apt/duplexes, and one lady simply said that she could not rent this house to me cause i seemed TOO white, as it was in a bad neighborhood. The job promotion will be near southridge mall. is GREENDALE a good place to live? how bout parts of the city of Milwaukee? we would like to be near bus lines and near nightlife... if you can help me it'd be greatly appreciated. I am scheduled to start work on the 7th, but would love to move in mid NOV. thanks and good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 03:01 PM

58 posts, read 235,366 times
lol @ the landlord telling you that you were too white. I guess any place that is middle class and drug free. Drugs are responsible for the majority of crimes in bad neighborhoods.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:25 PM

33 posts, read 144,568 times
That is pretty funny about being "too white". What neighborhood were you looking at?

Old 11-04-2010, 06:06 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Well by looking at your typing skills I would say you would fit in perfect in the "Ghetto Areas". Those red lines under all your words is the dictionary telling you that you have misspelled a word.

Trust me after staying in East New York and Overtown, FL. Milwaukee's Ghetto's are nothing, besides we are the 46th most dangerous city in the US so don't be so scared.

Reap previous threads about Milwaukee to identify neighborhoods or areas to avoid.

Besides, I am white and I would have no problem living anywhere in the city. I am more used to living in sketchy areas so I know how to handle myself and what to look out for. PS Never been robbed in my life.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:37 PM

58 posts, read 235,366 times
Dude, this is a forum, not a spelling contest. How can you jump on him about his spelling errors in his post, when you have some spelling and grammatical errors in yours?

Old 11-06-2010, 04:48 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Get out a map, draw a circle around Greendale which is a very nice bedroom community, btw, and look for rentals in a 5-7 mile radius of where you will be working. There are rentals all around that community, some in large developments. You will be fine.

Communities you might consider are Greendale, Greenfield, New Berlin, Brookfield, and the south sides of West Allis and Milwaukee, both of which are near Greendale. Also, anything that advertises Southridge (a shopping center) area is right where you want to be - very convenient for your job.

If you know anyone at your new job, talk with them, as well.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:29 AM

70 posts, read 217,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramelSmoothie View Post
Dude, this is a forum, not a spelling contest. How can you jump on him about his spelling errors in his post, when you have some spelling and grammatical errors in yours?
Agree 100%.

Anyways...

I am from central Wisconsin & have been debating moving South (need big city life again...) I have recently found myself in a pickle, if you will, and contemplating moving to MKE.

I agree with the original poster, all my times in Milwaukee, I have been scared. I don't know why either, I just don't feel safe. I have lived in Orlando as well as Atlanta & never felt worried like I do in Milwaukee.... The thing is, Milwaukee has what I need.. It's a big city, lots to do, and added bonus DRIVING distance back to my hometown

I liked seeing this topic because it's a huge concern of mine as well. It will be interesting to see some of the other replies that are yet to come....

Old 11-09-2010, 10:54 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
For the most part, Milwaukee is a very safe city to live in. Greendale is a pleasant suburb, but the southwestern neighborhoods of Milwaukee are very safe and pleasant as well. If I were to live on the far south side of town, I would pick one of the neighborhoods along one of the river parkways, or I'd go with the larger Bayview area, such as the neighborhoods bordering St. Francis. Milwaukee is a great city with a lot to offer, so don't let fear cripple your sense of adventure.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:33 PM

60 posts, read 191,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramelSmoothie View Post
lol @ the landlord telling you that you were too white..
It is a little funny, but I had the same thing happen to me when I was calling places by riverwest when we moved here several years ago. The landlord nearly hung the phone up on me, oh well.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:54 PM

131 posts, read 209,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki26 View Post
Atlanta & never felt worried like I do in Milwaukee....
I don't think this could be more backwards. Crime is actually way down in Atlanta, too, but Atlanta has always been pretty rough. Milwaukee is very safe, no matter what the TV news and closet racists from the suburbs would have you believe. Even most of the iffy neighborhoods are completely fine. There are only a few square miles in the entire city I would say are places to avoid, and even still, that's only at if you're alone at night.

I mean, don't leave your ipod in your car and don't walk around on Buffum and North looking like you're lost and nervous, but it really is'nt very bad at all.

Greendale is boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee