Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 08:54 AM

34 posts, read 89,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse276 View Post
Isn't that kind of the definition of a "bad" area? Besides, what business do you have walking around "bad" areas anyway, I sure would like to see some open-carry protests happen there, rather than some suburban Culvers.
I just see so many posts saying things to the effect of "I'd walk around that neighborhood and feel comfortable....you just can't look scared". That just seems so sugarcoated and seems like an opinion that isn't being elaborated upon.

I'd prefer if people would say "You should just try and stay out of XXX neighborhood. Your probability of getting mugged is pretty high if you don't live there."

I know sometimes the truth hurts, but when we know there are bad neighborhoods with high crime rates and then people claim they would have no problem walking through them, it leaves questions unanswered to those not familiar with the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 08:54 PM

483 posts, read 1,222,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John241 View Post
So in other words you may get mugged or jumped for walking through a rough neighborhood even if you're minding your own business. I'm not sure why people have a hard time openly saying this, I had a feeling it rings true in "bad" areas....
It's a possibility, yes. I have no problem saying that there's a greater chance of getting robbed if you're wandering around a bad neighborhood with a confused demeanor. But the point is, as long as you don't make yourself look like an easy target, and carry yourself like you belong there and know what you're doing, the chances of being a victim are greatly decreased.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,614 times
Quote:
That makes sense, I'm guessing the way you dress or the car you drive may have an effect on getting more attention than usual.

So in other words you may get mugged or jumped for walking through a rough neighborhood even if you're minding your own business. I'm not sure why people have a hard time openly saying this, I had a feeling it rings true in "bad" areas....
Crime can happen to you in any neighborhood at any time of day to any person. I remember hearing about a girl who was pulled off her bike and raped in the middle of the afternoon on the bike trail years ago. I'm a white girl and I live near 27th and Wisconsin with no troubles and I'm also not in the least bit physically intimidating. I was once threatened with violence on 27th and Layton. I've been on N 2nd and Keefe by myself at dusk and at most was asked by concerned residents of the neighborhood if I was lost, young black men, mind you who were very gentlemanly to me. To say bad things only happen to you if you do something to deserve it is victim blaming, and not what anyone is saying. But there are precautions you can take.

I grew up in this city and I love it. I've had good things happen to me, and bad things happen to me, all over this city and there has been no consistency between the "good" neighborhoods and the "bad" neighborhoods. There are places I wouldn't live, yes, but I just don't understand people having such fear of this city.

Side note- I was canvassing in the Southridge area, and my sides partner (you work opposite sides of the street) was this sweet 18 year old black girl. The cops got called on her, but not on me (the entire time I canvassed actually the cops had never been called on a white person...). They decided that she "fit the description" of someone who had committed a crime in another suburb, frisked her and took her down to the police station. I refused to let them take her alone, and there were two squad cars so they took me in one and her in the other. They never frisked me. She was crying, like the entire time. They fingerprinted her, and of course she came up with no record. I bought her ice cream.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:11 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,395,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindseh View Post
Crime can happen to you in any neighborhood at any time of day to any person. I remember hearing about a girl who was pulled off her bike and raped in the middle of the afternoon on the bike trail years ago. I'm a white girl and I live near 27th and Wisconsin with no troubles and I'm also not in the least bit physically intimidating. I was once threatened with violence on 27th and Layton. I've been on N 2nd and Keefe by myself at dusk and at most was asked by concerned residents of the neighborhood if I was lost, young black men, mind you who were very gentlemanly to me. To say bad things only happen to you if you do something to deserve it is victim blaming, and not what anyone is saying. But there are precautions you can take.

I grew up in this city and I love it. I've had good things happen to me, and bad things happen to me, all over this city and there has been no consistency between the "good" neighborhoods and the "bad" neighborhoods. There are places I wouldn't live, yes, but I just don't understand people having such fear of this city.

Side note- I was canvassing in the Southridge area, and my sides partner (you work opposite sides of the street) was this sweet 18 year old black girl. The cops got called on her, but not on me (the entire time I canvassed actually the cops had never been called on a white person...). They decided that she "fit the description" of someone who had committed a crime in another suburb, frisked her and took her down to the police station. I refused to let them take her alone, and there were two squad cars so they took me in one and her in the other. They never frisked me. She was crying, like the entire time. They fingerprinted her, and of course she came up with no record. I bought her ice cream.
Excellent post. Milwaukee, the state of Wisconsin, and the entire country needs more people like you. You are part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:56 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanerady View Post
basically im white and afraid the ghetto, I want to know where the hell to stay away from as far at neighborhoods and towns, of Milwaukee. i called a few landlords trying to set up scheduled showings of apt/duplexes, and one lady simply said that she could not rent this house to me cause i seemed TOO white, as it was in a bad neighborhood. The job promotion will be near southridge mall. is GREENDALE a good place to live? how bout parts of the city of Milwaukee? we would like to be near bus lines and near nightlife... if you can help me it'd be greatly appreciated. I am scheduled to start work on the 7th, but would love to move in mid NOV. thanks and good luck.
Trust me on this. I have researched those bad neighborhoods you mention. Blacks can't live in those areas without trouble that goes 2X for you normal yt guy. Go to ZIPSKINNY.com for demographic data. Find an 80% white/asian area with average income with 65%> married homeowners. If you want to take it a step further cross check your zip picks with FBI crime data stats for the same areas. Zipcode data can save your life. AND find a comfortable neighborhood with decent folks you can live with! Good luck.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:26 AM

431 posts, read 1,242,144 times
Quote:
I was wondering if you could elaborate on this comment?

What happens if I walk through there looking "scared"?

I'm being serious...only asking because I hear statements like this a lot about rough neighborhoods. I generally stay away from rough neighborhoods so I'd like some more input on what people really mean when they say this. Thanks.
There is no reason to even go in rough neighborhoods unless you live there or know someone there. My best advice is avoid them.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:36 PM

483 posts, read 1,222,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthXSW View Post
There is no reason to even go in rough neighborhoods unless you live there or know someone there. My best advice is avoid them.
If you drive from one end of the city to another, there's really no way to avoid passing through bad neighborhoods, unless you use the expressway. Granted there is far, far, far less of a chance of running into a bad situation if you are driving. However if you're using public transit, the chance increases. There are also many services, stores and such in bad neighborhoods that you may need to go to. It all comes down to how you carry yourself. Don't be naive (use your street smarts) and walk into a problem, don't flash money or valuables if you're traveling through a bad neighborhood, don't be afraid, and you will be fine.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:09 PM

34 posts, read 89,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthXSW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
If you drive from one end of the city to another, there's really no way to avoid passing through bad neighborhoods, unless you use the expressway. Granted there is far, far, far less of a chance of running into a bad situation if you are driving. However if you're using public transit, the chance increases. There are also many services, stores and such in bad neighborhoods that you may need to go to. It all comes down to how you carry yourself. Don't be naive (use your street smarts) and walk into a problem, don't flash money or valuables if you're traveling through a bad neighborhood, don't be afraid, and you will be fine.
I appreciate the honesty. Thanks for your posts!

Old 04-07-2011, 08:40 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Trust me on this. I have researched those bad neighborhoods you mention. Blacks can't live in those areas without trouble that goes 2X for you normal yt guy. Go to ZIPSKINNY.com for demographic data. Find an 80% white/asian area with average income with 65%> married homeowners. If you want to take it a step further cross check your zip picks with FBI crime data stats for the same areas. Zipcode data can save your life. AND find a comfortable neighborhood with decent folks you can live with! Good luck.
Then where can Black people live without having trouble?

Old 05-24-2011, 06:37 PM

131 posts, read 209,242 times
Funny you say asian, because there are a lot of pretty violent asian gangs all over the state, you ****ing moron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee