Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:34 AM

77 posts, read 253,169 times

Advertisements

North of Southridge like Greenfield and Milwaukee on 76th Street are nice places with Bus Route directly to SouthRidge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 02:53 PM

6 posts, read 19,597 times
Well, this is coming from a black male that use to be a VL:

-If you're moving on the southside by Southridge, You're Good. The only ghetto (What they think is ghetto) on the southside is from National to Lincoln and from 1st to 35th. Keep in mind this is mostly white trash and mexicans or other hispanics. Around 51st on the southside you have plenty Serbians and Polish. From there on west its just plenty wiggers and mexicans with money. But Greendale is a very nice place and you will mostly likely be shielded from the other idiots around you.

-Now, the northside, you dont want to come up here. The "ghetto" on the northside spreads far and wide, with no easy pattern to follow. North of Congress to Hampton, Villard, SilverSpring, Mill Rd., Good Hope even all the way up to Brown Deer Rd. your gonna run into gangs and have the possibility of getting jacked.

-Third, skip what everyone is saying with this "If you mind your own business....". Thats B.S. Theres no universal rule of how to not get robbed. Anyone can get robbed at anytime, and being white on the northside makes you a walking target 9 out of 10 times. But, like I said, moving to Greendale is a good choice. Just remember while on the southside, if ever worried, that most of them think theyre "gangsta" till they get to the northside and get their car jacked.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:20 AM

483 posts, read 1,222,853 times
I worked on Mill Rd. for years, dealing with plenty of the locals and the businesses in the area, during the daytime and at night, and I'm white. Yeah the area is black, but it's not what I would consider ghetto. Villard from 35th to 60th is kind of sketchy, but also nothing I think warrants being afraid of during the day. As a matter of fact, I can't think of anywhere in Milwaukee that I wouldn't go during daylight. Even at night during the summer I have yet to have any issues, but at night I usually stay to main roads and don't venture down dead-end side blocks.

"Ghetto" to me is Englewood, Chicago, Morissania/Hunts Point, Bronx, and such like that. Milwaukee really isn't that bad. As far as the "being white on the northside makes you a target"- I disagree. There's plenty of white people on the north side. Whether they're hanging out, there for work/business, shopping, etc. As long as you don't look scared you won't have any problems.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:37 PM

88 posts, read 214,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandeMusic View Post
Well, this is coming from a black male that use to be a VL:

-If you're moving on the southside by Southridge, You're Good. The only ghetto (What they think is ghetto) on the southside is from National to Lincoln and from 1st to 35th. Keep in mind this is mostly white trash and mexicans or other hispanics. Around 51st on the southside you have plenty Serbians and Polish. From there on west its just plenty wiggers and mexicans with money. But Greendale is a very nice place and you will mostly likely be shielded from the other idiots around you.

-Now, the northside, you dont want to come up here. The "ghetto" on the northside spreads far and wide, with no easy pattern to follow. North of Congress to Hampton, Villard, SilverSpring, Mill Rd., Good Hope even all the way up to Brown Deer Rd. your gonna run into gangs and have the possibility of getting jacked.

-Third, skip what everyone is saying with this "If you mind your own business....". Thats B.S. Theres no universal rule of how to not get robbed. Anyone can get robbed at anytime, and being white on the northside makes you a walking target 9 out of 10 times. But, like I said, moving to Greendale is a good choice. Just remember while on the southside, if ever worried, that most of them think theyre "gangsta" till they get to the northside and get their car jacked.

Well, this is coming from a black male that's in law enforcement. The above post is garbage.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:34 PM

34 posts, read 89,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
...As long as you don't look scared you won't have any problems.
I was wondering if you could elaborate on this comment?

What happens if I walk through there looking "scared"?

I'm being serious...only asking because I hear statements like this a lot about rough neighborhoods. I generally stay away from rough neighborhoods so I'd like some more input on what people really mean when they say this. Thanks.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:54 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,005,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John241 View Post

I'm being serious...only asking because I hear statements like this a lot about rough neighborhoods. I generally stay away from rough neighborhoods so I'd like some more input on what people really mean when they say this. Thanks.
I'll take a stab at this. Looking scared implies that you are not part of the natural neighborhood. It indicates that you may have no connections and have no idea of the lay of the land. Having a composed demeanor indicates that an individual may have ties to the area, spends a great deal of time in the area and knows residents, may live in the neighborhood and has a general idea on how to interact and mingle with the locals.

If you look like you don't belong it makes you an easy target.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:00 AM

483 posts, read 1,222,853 times
Quote:

What happens if you walk through the hood looking scared? Usually nothing, except getting a couple weird looks from the locals. But what it means is, if you happen to stumble across an individual or group that is out to cause trouble, and you look out of place and uneasy, you make yourself an easy target. Your fear is detected and used against you.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:07 PM

34 posts, read 89,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
I'll take a stab at this. Looking scared implies that you are not part of the natural neighborhood. It indicates that you may have no connections and have no idea of the lay of the land. Having a composed demeanor indicates that an individual may have ties to the area, spends a great deal of time in the area and knows residents, may live in the neighborhood and has a general idea on how to interact and mingle with the locals.

If you look like you don't belong it makes you an easy target.
That makes sense, I'm guessing the way you dress or the car you drive may have an effect on getting more attention than usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
What happens if you walk through the hood looking scared? Usually nothing, except getting a couple weird looks from the locals. But what it means is, if you happen to stumble across an individual or group that is out to cause trouble, and you look out of place and uneasy, you make yourself an easy target. Your fear is detected and used against you.
So in other words you may get mugged or jumped for walking through a rough neighborhood even if you're minding your own business. I'm not sure why people have a hard time openly saying this, I had a feeling it rings true in "bad" areas....

Old 03-24-2011, 07:15 AM

711 posts, read 1,690,276 times
Quote:
So in other words you may get mugged or jumped for walking through a rough neighborhood even if you're minding your own business. I'm not sure why people have a hard time openly saying this, I had a feeling it rings true in "bad" areas....
Isn't that kind of the definition of a "bad" area? Besides, what business do you have walking around "bad" areas anyway, I sure would like to see some open-carry protests happen there, rather than some suburban Culvers.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:51 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
That makes sense, I'm guessing the way you dress or the car you drive may have an effect on getting more attention than usual.

Sometimes this can happen in suburban areas. I speak from personal experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee