Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 10:42 AM

196 posts, read 474,345 times

Advertisements

I've recently come to realize here, somewhat late in the game at 24 years of age, that Milwaukee WI isn't a decent place to live as a gay black male but that Atlanta Georgia is ideal for gay black men; however, I am in the middle of college at UW-Whitewater with 2 semesters left to go yet and do not earn my 2nd degree until next May. I've asked my dad if I can relocate to Atlanta Georgia and finish up my two years at a historically black university, but he told me most employers don't take degrees from historically black universities very seriously. He said I won't be considered for a lot of jobs and upscale jobs if the degree is from any historically black university. He told me that most employers would only consider me and take me seriously if my degree was from the average college, where whites make up the vast majority. In addition, he told me that historically black colleges aren't as quality as the average college where whites make up the majority because they aren't as well-funded. He said because they aren't as well funded, those colleges aren't as developed, the learning isn't as good, and the resources aren't as abundant. He said to get a quality education, I would need to attend colleges where whites make up the vast majority.

So I suggested just going to the average college where whites make up the majority, but only in Atlanta Georgia as opposed to Milwaukee WI. He then told me that schooling and colleges in the south aren't as advanced as schooling and colleges in the north. He told me that Wisconsin colleges are widely considered to be some of the best colleges in the entire country. He said the UW system is looked highly upon throughout the entire nation: that is, UW-Madison first and foremost, UW-Whitewater, UW-Milwaukee, etc. He told me if I earn my degrees from Wisconsin, the chances of me getting a job anywhere else in the nation are that much better than if I have a degree from other places, particularly from the south, like Mississippi or Georgia. He said he's had slews of friends tell him how easy it was to earn a job in the south with degrees from Wisconsin colleges. He told me for that reason, I should finish up my final year at UW-Whitewater and then I can relocate to Atlanta Georgia.

He told me that northerners are more educated than southerners.
Anyways, I'm just wondering if you Milwaukeans who frequent this website agree with this? Just to note, I have nothing against the college I am attending as far as classes and such. In fact, I've made it on the dean's list every semester and the campus is very beautiful. It's more about the social aspect of Wisconsin that's my issue. The only thing I will find difficult about leaving Wisconsin is being away from my family. I'd like my dad and mom to be within driving distance from me.

Last edited by AmericanHistory09; 05-21-2011 at 10:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 04:18 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,117,756 times
Rankings mean nothing, popularity means nothing, getting great marks and carry yourself well and hard work will get you farther than the name of the diploma.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:29 PM

5 posts, read 9,228 times
As a graduate, I agree that ranking mean nothing. And as an Asian, I believe parents' suggestions are always full of wisdom.

To me, I think the university choose depends on what you major in and the opportunity of job around the university.

Good luck

Old 05-23-2011, 02:37 PM

Well, right now that and the cost of college out of state is what's keeping my dad from allowing me to get the hell out of Wisconsin. He says my credits wouldn't transfer to a college outside of Wisconsin, he couldn't afford to send me to a college in Atlanta, and schools here are better. So, he wants me to do my final 2 semesters here and then after next May, I can get the hell out of here and find a nice middle-class black community to live in over in Atlanta for my sanity.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:52 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,696,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanHistory09 View Post
Well, right now that and the cost of college out of state is what's keeping my dad from allowing me to get the hell out of Wisconsin. He says my credits wouldn't transfer to a college outside of Wisconsin, he couldn't afford to send me to a college in Atlanta, and schools here are better. So, he wants me to do my final 2 semesters here and then after next May, I can get the hell out of here and find a nice middle-class black community to live in over in Atlanta for my sanity.
I wouldn't rush to Atlanta anytime soon. The economy is in shambles. Wisconsin is in much better shape.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I wouldn't rush to Atlanta anytime soon. The economy is in shambles. Wisconsin is in much better shape.
Wisconsin is in better shape for whites, not blacks. While the vast majority of areas in the U.S. are substandard living environments for African Americans, with the exception of especially certain southern areas, the studies, statistics, and research consistently show that Wisconsin is by far the bleakest of them all. And it explains my experience of absolute misery and wretchedness living here even as one of the few solidly middle-class black males (or at least a black male with solidly middle-class black parents).

I mean, as just one example, out of all the states in the U.S., Wisconsin has the highest black incarceration rate while, out of all the states in the U.S., it also has the lowest white incarceration rate (as shown here: http://www.cows.org/pdf/ds-blackwisconsites_011107.pdf ). I suppose Wisconsin just has the most angelic whites in the nation, while it has the most reprehensible African Americans.

As another example, a site entitled "The Ten Worst Places To Be For Blacks" (this is a site, by the way, that I came upon in the very first search results in a random Google search of mine where I wrote "Worst cities for African Americans" in the Google search box) listed Wisconsin at number 1, as the very worst state in the nation to live for African Americans (as shown here The Black Commentator - Cover Story: Ten Worst Places to be Black - Issue 146 - July 14 2005 ).

A site entitled "The Top Ten Best Cities For African Americans" listed Washington, D.C. at number one, and Atlanta, Georgia at number 2. These are the best places to live if you're African American (as shown here The Top Ten Best Cities For African Americans ). This site is from 2007.

According to the sites, these conclusions are based upon such facts and figures as useful measures of family income, home ownership, life expectancy, education levels, unemployment, underemployment, racially selective policing, prosecution, and mass imprisonment, etc.

As another example, out of all the states in the U.S., Wisconsin stands out among them all as having the least amount of black suburbs and being the most segregated (as shown here Do You Live in One of America’s Most Segregated Cities? ).

Economy-wise, there are far more poor, struggling blacks in Wisconsin than in Atlanta. Atlanta is notable for it's significant black middle-class. Having lived in Wisconsin my entire life, I'm very keen to the fact that Wisconsin is not a good place to live if you're African American, let alone a gay black male like myself.

I'm also looking for a boyfriend and for obvious reasons that I've already stated under other threads on this website, I have no chance of finding anyone in Wisconsin. Finding middle-class blacks here is hard enough without trying to ferret out gay middle-class black males looking for LTRs. In fact, when you do a Google search on "gay black men in Milwaukee WI", all you'll ever come past is information on "high HIV rates" or "rising HIV rates". Shouldn't come as any surprise given the financial status of most blacks here. Try nurturing a healthy gay relationship in a hood environment where poverty rates are threw the roof, and as a result there are countless other problems. On the dating sites, all I ever seem to come past in terms of black men, are lower-class black males who are looking for secretive, down-low encounters. Needless to say, turning to black men isn't much of an option for the middle-class gay black male such as myself. Hell, it's hard enough as it is finding a gay white dude that doesn't smoke, drink heavily, and isn't looking for hook-ups, much less a gay black male who has even more challenges. And with the white males I consider dateable, there's the passive/aggressive racist behaviors and racially-charged mixed messages in dealing with them, which will drive any sane man absolutely bonkers. I simply do not have the energy for it anymore. I've been driven mad by these white males and I've had about all I can take. Luckily, I haven't let any of this madness in Wisconsin steer me from my values. My only regret is not learning of all this information before I hit 18. Here am at 24, realizing all this B.S.

It's actually funny because I actually just came back from a trip to New York. It was so refreshing just getting a feel of different males other than Wisconsin's white men I've been forced to deal with dating-wise over the years. Technically, it wasn't men from New York though. There was no room in the section of the lobby awaiting the flight back to Milwaukee Wisconsin, so I had to sit in a different section. As it just so happens I ended up siting in the section for Atlanta. I felt like eye candy in the lobby with the handful of hot guys, repeatedly looking at me with long gazing stares. It was refreshing. I became somewhat frustrated because this black guy that sat near me and I detected out of the corner of my eyes, looking at me repeatedly was blocked off by this white guy who sat in-between us. Then I was thrown off as the white guy struck up conversation with me out nowhere, giving me his life story and I shared mine as well. I think he thought I too was going to Atlanta since I sat in that section. While I certainly wouldn't spend the rest of my life with any white dude after my experiences with them here in Wis., it was a shocker to see one act so differently from them. He actually charmed me. He said he was born from Germany and had spent most of his life in Atlanta. Oh well! I had to go as /: { MILWAUKEE WI AIRPLANE ARRIVED.

Last edited by AmericanHistory09; 05-23-2011 at 07:01 PM..

Old 05-23-2011, 06:59 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,052,419 times
I'm not from Wisconsin (although I have friends there), but your post caught my attention. It seems like you have overprotective parents.They seem to be steering you away/making excuses to keep you from Atlanta, or anywhere outside of Wisconsin, because they're afraid you'll be "out of their reach," so to speak (--at least that what it seems like to me).

I believe many parents mean well, but sometimes even their best intentions may not be the best for your life, and may even hold you back. Sometimes, the biggest decisions in your life can only be determined by you, if it means appeasing others at the expense of remaining personally frustrated.

If your grades are that good, you can not only transfer but likely receive grants or scholarships to pay for your education. If you feel that strongly going out on your own, do it--it'll help you immensely with your independence, which I think you need, at 24.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I'm not from Wisconsin (although I have friends there), but your post caught my attention. It seems like you have overprotective parents.They seem to be steering you away/making excuses to keep you from Atlanta, or anywhere outside of Wisconsin, because they're afraid you'll be "out of their reach," so to speak (--at least that what it seems like to me).

I believe many parents mean well, but sometimes even their best intentions may not be the best for your life, and may even hold you back. Sometimes, the biggest decisions in your life can only be determined by you, if it means appeasing others at the expense of remaining personally frustrated.

If your grades are that good, you can not only transfer but likely receive grants or scholarships to pay for your education. If you feel that strongly going out on your own, do it--it'll help you immensely with your independence, which I think you need, at 24.
Your post screams of legitimacy, especially considering my dad took back some of his reasonings in regards to me moving to Atlanta when I spoke to him this afternoon. I showed him some sources as to Wisconsin colleges not really even being that highly ranked nationally. In fact, the only one that is highly ranked is UW-Madison at number 6 nationally. Wisconsin's "2nd best college", UW-Milwaukee, comes in at 200 nationally. And after that, I just got tired of looking for what came in at number 3 nationally. But here's just one of the sources as to this information Top Universities/Colleges in Wisconsin 2011 - Top Study Links. Anyways, after seeing this, he said "Wisconsin colleges are just good and it doesn't really matter what the name of the college is."/: \ Bless my dad's heart. He then stated the real issue is that he can't afford a college in Atlanta. And I'm still financially dependent on my parents and use my dad's credit card so yea. lol! In addition, I haven't been very direct with either of them about why I'm miserable here with the whole "gay" subject and all. I've kind of sidestepped those specifics, so I'm thinking they don't see my moving as such a dire issue. I've kind of described those issues as "my social life" and my mom is now assuming I just want some black friends and is telling me to just hang out with my cousins.

My dad says I can move as soon as I graduate next year, but my problem is getting through an entire year of misery. Here it is 3 days into summer and I am bored and miserable as hell because I really don't want to be around anyone here in Wisconsin.

Last edited by AmericanHistory09; 05-23-2011 at 08:04 PM..

Old 05-23-2011, 08:33 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,292,039 times
It's pretty simple. Like what your dad and others have said. Unless you absolutely hate where you are, it's not worth moving. Like it was said, not all of your credits will transfer and you only have a year left. It will also cost more money. You can move there after your degree which would be better financially and in the amount of time it will take to get your degree.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:30 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,117,756 times
Quote:
mean, as just one example, out of all the states in the U.S., Wisconsin has the highest black incarceration rate while, out of all the states in the U.S., it also has the lowest white incarceration rate (as shown here: http://www.cows.org/pdf/ds-blackwisconsites_011107.pdf ). I suppose Wisconsin just has the most angelic whites in the nation, while it has the most reprehensible African Americans.
Yeah we lock up innocent people here, sure, okay, try living in the hood and be a victim of many terrible crimes and then maybe you will have a different outlook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee