Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:46 PM

13 posts, read 23,388 times

Advertisements

After growing up in Milwaukee and leaving when I was 20 I swore I'd never return but alas, I miss it! My husband has accepted a job in downtown. I am familiar with most suburbs but I've been gone for 7 years now so what I like now, wasn't the same as then.

Looking for:

- A walkable neighborhood. Currently live in a town with sidewalks everywhere and we love this for walks/runs.

- Maybe something more trendy. A spot with coffee shops, independent restaurants/shopping and all easily walkable to each other.

- Rent range, comfort zone would be $1500 and under.

Any help/advice would be great! So far I have been looking into the 3rd Ward but after that, I am stumped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 08:18 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,693 times
Bayview, eastside, Tosa, old part of Greendale, Shorewood, Whitefish Bay.....
I'm relatively new to the area, but Milwaukee seems to have a lot of places that fit the bill.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:22 PM

thanks! after doing some google map views/searches on here, eastside seems to be just what I was thinking.

I do remember going to greendale a lot, I'll check that out too!

Old 06-19-2012, 08:32 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,678,248 times
What area did you grow up in? Did you like it? Do you want another area like it? The area has changed quite a bit.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:07 AM

I spent most of it in Germantown and some in Muskego, both places I'd not move back to. I still have family in those areas so I am sure i'll be visiting often, just not living in.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:58 AM

On top of the Third Ward, the East Side, Bay View, Shorewood, and Wauwatosa come to mind. I live on the East Side and like it a lot, for the same features that you are looking for. I live near Lake Park, which basically means that I can walk to restaurants, bars, grocery stores, pretty much everywhere. And the lake, of course.

Wauwatosa is nice but lacks Lake Michigan--if that's even a concern to you.

There is also Whitefish Bay. The huge Bay Shore shopping area is a big plus, although there aren't many independent stores or eateries. The shopping area is actually in Glendale, but borders Whitefish Bay, so it's easy to access on foot or by car. There is some more retail on Silver Spring Drive.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
On top of the Third Ward, the East Side, Bay View, Shorewood, and Wauwatosa come to mind. I live on the East Side and like it a lot, for the same features that you are looking for. I live near Lake Park, which basically means that I can walk to restaurants, bars, grocery stores, pretty much everywhere. And the lake, of course.

Wauwatosa is nice but lacks Lake Michigan--if that's even a concern to you.

There is also Whitefish Bay. The huge Bay Shore shopping area is a big plus, although there aren't many independent stores or eateries. The shopping area is actually in Glendale, but borders Whitefish Bay, so it's easy to access on foot or by car. There is some more retail on Silver Spring Drive.
thanks for the information! I think East Side is going to be our top contender. We are very active. Love being outside, taking walks and the water is nice as well. So yes, the lake is a huge bonus for us. I'd also enjoy the fact I'd be able to walk to all the things you have listed.

My next question about this area would be UWM. Is it an area overrun with college kids because I'd like to not be living on a street with college parties going on everynight. Been there, done that.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:46 PM

at closer look of maps, uwm is a bit more north than i thought.

what is the area of the east side/main streets? would it be north & farwell? looks like this area has some nice shopping/foods

Old 06-20-2012, 08:28 PM

The East Side is beautiful. It's divided into 2 larger areas, the Upper East Side, and Lower East Side. Upper is bordered on the north, by Shorewood, and on the south, by North Avenue. Lower is from North Avenue to downtown. Within each, there are smaller named neighborhoods (google "Milwaukee Neighborhood Map"). On the west, both are bordered by the Milwaukee River, and on the east, the beach, obviously.

There are different flavors to each of the East Side areas, which kind of melt together to some degree, around North Avenue, which has a Whole Foods, a big hospital, bars, restaurants, and some shopping. There are other areas nearby--Downer Avenue has restaurants, bars, and some shopping, Oakland and Locust has more food and a couple of bars, Brady Street has even more. One of my favorite things about the area of the East Side that I live in, is that I can walk to Downer Avenue, North Avenue, Lake Park, and to the Milwaukee River, where there is a beautiful trail system for hiking and biking, access to the Oak Leaf bike trail which goes downtown, and the Urban Ecology center. I can walk to grocery stores, the bar, to get lunch, whatever I want. It's an excellent quality of life. I do not drive that often because I don't really need to go anywhere.

The Lower east Side has more high rise and high density housing along the lakefront. It's more urban. I have lived on the Lower East Side previously, and loved living there as well. The amenities are similar, living spaces are different. You can get a nice high rise apartment or condominium with beautiful views, in this part of the city.

Now, to your question about UWM: As much as I love the East Side, students are a factor in some areas. UWM's recent enrollment binge led to a housing shortage, which led to a high density of students. Landlords get fined along with their tenants when there is a nuisance violation, so they have a lot of motivation to monitor the residents. There are areas where students are in the majority, obviously closest to campus is the most dense student population. But they radiate outward. If you are interested in community issues, check out the Murray Hill Neighborhood Association website, the UWM Neighborhood Relations website, UWM PD site, and the Milwaukee Police Department (District 1) site. There is a heightened sense of awareness of student issues, and it's being dealt with. So, I guess to answer your question, there are student issues, but at the same time, the Milwaukee PD does not treat nuisance calls lightly, nor does the UWM PD, which responds to off campus calls as well. I know from experience. You should be selective about the block you live on, but other than that, the East Side is a great place to live.

On the up side, students do also bring a certain vitality to the area, and they contribute a lot to the local economy, so there is a little bit of give and take (IMO). Even though there are plenty of families, couples, singles, and older empty nesters around the East Side, it's no bedroom or retirement community. It's very active, and the older I get, the more I'm willing to look a blind eye to the minor nuisances in favor of the larger benefit. Minor is the key word--my neighbors and I do not put up with large scale nuisances, red cup parties, etc. The police seem to be in agreement .

In short, consider students as a factor, but not a reason to avoid the area.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited by 43north87west; 06-20-2012 at 08:42 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 11:13 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahAubrey View Post
at closer look of maps, uwm is a bit more north than i thought.

what is the area of the east side/main streets? would it be north & farwell? looks like this area has some nice shopping/foods
Others here have answered your questions well. One thing I'd add when choosig between say 3rd ward or East Side is are you more of a loft/warehouse person or grass and parks type person? The other question is do you want walkable suburbs, albeit inner rung bùrbs such as Tosa or Shorewood, or to be in the city.

Every person is different and the answers are subjective. You can rent in one area and still explore the others and then after a while have a better perspective for your personal fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee