Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 10:31 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,494 times

Advertisements

[CENTER]Milwaukee is the second most segregated city by means of population, and first when it comes to economic distribution. What are some reasons for racial tension in Milwaukee?

Before you say - It's because ALL the black people are committing the crimes, please step away from your television and take a look around, or do some research at least. Not all black people are the same. There IS a such thing as upper class blacks, NOT all black people want to be gangsters and rappers when they grow up.

So again I state; What are some reasons for racial tension in Milwaukee?
[/CENTER]

Old 02-07-2007, 08:27 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,154,552 times
Default Can't respond

I live here and know what's going on, but I can't reply because you came right out and said you didn't want to hear about what everyone knows is the primary reason for segregation here. I could tell you alot about how black crime and misbehavior here has ruined a variety of neighborhoods, malls, schools, and events (Greekfest being the latest). But you don't want to hear it.
And I watch little TV, so don't even try that, dude.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:39 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,494 times
Well, not ALL black people commit the crimes, so why aren't the black people that are doing well in the city still segregated?

Old 02-09-2007, 09:32 PM

151 posts, read 705,451 times
Wow...this is a very loaded question. I believe that people need to look in both directions as my thinking is that tensions go in both directions. I think that African American people are segregating themselves as much or more. Where else in America can you find a phone book entitled the "Black Pages" with listings of only African American people in the city of Milwaukee? OK, this may sound impossible, but why can't we pretend that we are all visually impaired and like/dislike one another based on who we are, not what "group" we come from? Grow up, America, and count your blessings. You could live in Afghanistan, India, Africa, Russia....why don't we all realize how awesome we have it here??? Let's start blessing each other and counting our blessings...not posting why we have the "problems" we think we have. In comparison to 90% of the world, we are living in paradise.......

Old 02-10-2007, 07:29 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
I would venture to say that Milwaukee is segregated much like many other cities, but only slightly more so. The reasons are basically the same, self segregation, discrimination, prejudice, affordability issues, white flight and institutional racism to name a few.

Maybe more unique to Milwaukee could be the following in my humble opinion. The taxes are high in Wisconsin, and housing is not exactly affordable by most people's standards, much less people who earn below the area average. Also, there is a relatively small minority population in Wisconsin, so many minorities prefer to live together for those reasons. In addition, Milwaukee does not grow quickly and sprwal like sunbelt cities, where housing is constantly being built, which in turn keeps prices down and invites people to move into the suburbs due to the range of affordability. Therefor, most of Milwauekee's suburbs are lily white and middle to upper class. Many minority residents can not afford them, and the ones that can prob choose the traditional minority areas for the same reason as not wanting to be the one or two black families in the community. However, there are some slowly diversifying suburbs in the NW area of Milwaukee County (Menominee Falls). I think the black city-white suburbs mentality is an example of why the city is segregated so much. It is the haves vs the have nots, self segregation, small numbers overall in the region and pricing. I don't believe the people in Milwaukee are any more racist than any other giver urban area. Minneapolis has the same issue too. Things will prob. start to change in the comming years though.

What do the rest of you think?

Old 03-02-2007, 03:09 PM

27 posts, read 193,729 times
Actually, after having done some research, according to the 2000 census, the CITY of Milwaukee itself doesn't even crack the top 10 when it comes to segregation. It's only when you add in Waukesha, Brookfield, etc. (the entire MSA) that it becomes one of the most segregated cities.

Anyway, I also think it's unfair to label racial tension as a "Milwaukee" problem when you can see the same problems in other cities with large Black and Latina/o populations (Chicago, Detroit, New York and Cleveland, etc.) due to white flight/urban sprawl. Clearly this is a problem that is prevalant throughout the US, Milwaukee is simply an easy target because it's in Wisconsin which gives it a more "backwoodsy" reputation inspite of sharing very little in common (culturally, socially, economically, ethnically, etc.) with the rest of the state.

As far as some problems that are specific to Milwaukee, I would say that the loss of maufacturing jobs which are/were not only disproportionatley held by Blacks, but disporportionatley vital to Milwaukee's economy. A lot of these employers sent recruiters into southern towns such as Little Rock, Memphis and Jackson. They specifically targeted Blacks who had little to no education (due to segregation) knowing that the idea of working in a factory that paid high wages would be appealing to them. However, when these places shut down (Blatz, Schlitz, Briggs & Stratton, Allis-Chalmers and AO Smith all shut down within 15 years of each other), these workers had no other skills that were appealing to service employers. So they got poor, and when people get poor, they starve, and when they starve they start to rob people. And thus, started the cycle of poverty in Milwaukee's Black community that still exists today.

Add to that the crass consumerism that has been targeting Black youths all over Amerikkka since the late 80's/early 90's, telling them that they're not s**t unless they're decked out in Rocawear with the new Jordans and wearing gaudy platinum chains and you have a recipe for keeping a population subservient and turned against one another. Of course, to outside eyes (read: unconscious whites), this appears as a lack of "personal responsiblity" (or whatever the conservative buzzwords are for this week) and therefore, and excuse to get as far away from "those people" as possible.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki View Post
Wow...this is a very loaded question. I believe that people need to look in both directions as my thinking is that tensions go in both directions. I think that African American people are segregating themselves as much or more. Where else in America can you find a phone book entitled the "Black Pages" with listings of only African American people in the city of Milwaukee? OK, this may sound impossible, but why can't we pretend that we are all visually impaired and like/dislike one another based on who we are, not what "group" we come from? Grow up, America, and count your blessings. You could live in Afghanistan, India, Africa, Russia....why don't we all realize how awesome we have it here??? Let's start blessing each other and counting our blessings...not posting why we have the "problems" we think we have. In comparison to 90% of the world, we are living in paradise.......
Ummm... have you actually picked up the Black Pages? It's a listing of Black owned BUSINESSES in Milwaukee... not private residents (unless, of course, they run their business from home).

Although I will say that there are a good number of Blacks in Milwaukee who want to stick around the Black community as opposed to running out to the suburbs (or out of Wisconsin altogether) first chance they get. But like most other shows of Black solidarity, it gets interpreted as "Anti-White" (why the hell would anyone want to live in Waukesha anyway?).

And one more thing I forgot to mention... theres a little case involving a Frank Jude Jr. that you may have heard of. Although police brutality and the selection of all-white juries for the supsequent trials is hardly limited to Milwaukee.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:50 AM

72 posts, read 356,006 times
Default Black Pages...a topic for polite debate.....

This will probably add fuel to the fire, but here's a question:

If there was a section of the phonebook for "White-Owned Businesses", would you consider that a show of "white solidarity"?

Why or why not?

Old 03-12-2007, 11:32 AM

Seeing as how under the current status quo, being white is not a problem in society, I'd like to know what purpose of having a section of "white-owned businesses" would serve (other than maintaining inequality).

Old 03-12-2007, 02:59 PM

72 posts, read 356,006 times
Default White pages, black pages.....

You didn't answer the question. Why is that?

At UMass some years ago, there was a separate black homecoming. Ultimately, certain students complained and proposed a white homecoming which led to straining race relations. "If you have a black homecoming, why can't we have a white one?' , was asked

"Well, you whites don't have problems in society, we do.", was the answer.

"You must be racist to want a white homecoming."

Who decides when it's time to say, "We are just people with a business" ? or "We are just students?"

Who decides who's had a less fair life and gets an advantage?

Do we paint everyone one with the same brush?

Who decides when to stop this baloney of black pages, white pages or segregated homecomings? This is nuts.

Certain people would say I'm not going to a black-owned business, certain people wouldn't go to a white-owned one. Why give these people a head start?

It's a free country - you want black pages, then the kooks out there should make white pages too if they want too. This is ridiculous, especially when we have a great black candidate running for office. Wonder what he would say since you won't answer the question. My answer is: It's all wrong. That's why Milwaukee is in this condition.

Crap like "the black pages" will definitely contribute to keeping the antiquated thought process the same. You ought to have blacks only and whites only water fountains while you are at it.

Has this ever been covered on TV? If it hasn't - it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee