Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 01:55 AM

7 posts, read 13,833 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are 2 white parents who have 2 black adopted children, from birth (age 7 & 9). We need to move to the Milwaukee area and "bust-out" of New Berlin (why living here, long story). My husband works on the east side of Waukesha, I work in West Allis (though my commute would not be an issue).

Any suggestions on where to move? I'm aware of the Milwaukee and segregation. We need to move for our kids, and our whole family. Our income averages around $65K (take home). I also realize many areas are divided due to economics/income.

We talked about Wauwatosa, but I'm not so keen on that idea. I know Glendale, Brown Deer area is a choice (though a commute for work). What about River West Area? Looking for any suggestions.

Thanks, so glad I found this site! Katie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 09:14 AM

711 posts, read 1,688,912 times
In my mind, you might want to be a little more specific about what type of neighborhood you would like to live in. You mentioned you currently live in New Berlin, if you like more spread out areas you might want to look towards Brown Deer or some of the better areas on the Northwest side of Milwaukee. There's a suburban neighborhood north of Good Hope Road, West of Teutonia & East of 43rd street in Milwaukee. Despite areas to the south being a bit transient, this pocket neighborhood is stable & diverse... if you like suburban areas check out this neighborhood. Otherwise, there's another pocket west of 51st street, east of 60th street, north of Good Hope Rd. & south of Bradley.

Considering where you work, if you're thinking about Milwaukee I would check out the Story Hill neighborhood, generally parallel to Bluemound/Wisconsin Ave from ~48th west to Tosa. The area isn't quite suburban but you have a decent sized yard while you can walk to stores/restaurants/Brewer games depending on where you buy. This is also a stable area with a fair amount of diversity.

Are schools a concern?

Old 06-15-2012, 10:05 PM

63 posts, read 204,972 times
May I ask why you're not keen about Wauwatosa? That's generally the go-to answer for diverse suburbs.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:38 AM

13 posts, read 24,643 times
I live in the Maple Dale-Indian Hill (Bayside, Glendale, Fox Point) school district, and love it. We also are caucasian parents with an african american adopted child, and we find the district and the area to be very supportive. Maple Dale prides itself in being the "united nations" of schools, and the student population is pretty diverse (the teachers and staff, not so diverse). Indian Hill, the elementary school is K4-2nd grade, Maple Dale is 3rd-8th, then it feeds into Nicolet. Our kids are 4, 7 and 9- I would be happy to talk to you more if you are interested.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:51 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
I think people might be surprised how diverse some of Milwaukee's whitest suburbs schools are, so while the suburb maybe 90% white you'll find schools like Whitefish Bay Dominican, Nicolet, Shorewood, Brown Deer, Wauwatosa schools and even West Allis schools have a good mix of ethnicity. In Milwaukee County where most of the non-white ethnicity lies in two main areas you cannot live in MKE County without mixing with other groups, whether your shopping at the mall, grocery store, at the lakefront or at a Milwaukee county park or just going for a walk, Milwaukee county is mixed a lot more than just where people live since we all work and play all over the county.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:09 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,678,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktlund View Post
We need to move to the Milwaukee area and "bust-out" of New Berlin
New Berlin is part of the Milwaukee area...

Quote:
I'm aware of the Milwaukee and segregation.
"The Milwaukee"...? The Milwaukee Public Schools? The Milwaukee inner city? Help us out here.

Quote:
We talked about Wauwatosa, but I'm not so keen on that idea.
Why is that? Since it's right down the street from where you work, you must have plenty of opportunity to check it out. What is it you don't like?

Quote:
Looking for any suggestions.
Get in the car and look around, since you already live here?

Old 06-17-2012, 10:45 PM

34 posts, read 99,679 times
eastside

Old 06-18-2012, 09:26 PM

63 posts, read 204,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barajaj View Post
eastside
... is one of the least diverse neighborhoods in the city.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:28 PM

711 posts, read 1,688,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravioletfly View Post
... is one of the least diverse neighborhoods in the city.
Compared to what?

Old 06-18-2012, 10:37 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,678,248 times
OP ain't coming back, folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee