Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 11:05 PM

7 posts, read 13,850 times

Advertisements

Thanks Jesse276 and others for the suggestions.

Regarding Wauwatosa, I have some 'old issues' about living there, my own stuff. Thanks for the reminder of the Story Hill Neighborhood, we'll check it out. Yes, schools are important, and most likely, they will attend the Public Schools, so we'll also have to check that out.

To 43west87north:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktlund
We need to move to the Milwaukee area and "bust-out" of New Berlin
New Berlin is part of the Milwaukee area...

Phoenix is part of the United States area...

Quote:
I'm aware of the Milwaukee and segregation.
"The Milwaukee"...? The Milwaukee Public Schools? The Milwaukee inner city? Help us out here.

"The..." typo

Quote:
We talked about Wauwatosa, but I'm not so keen on that idea.
Why is that? Since it's right down the street from where you work, you must have plenty of opportunity to check it out. What is it you don't like?

Why can it not be that? I've checked it out... my brother lives there, we visit, eat, play, just don't want to stay...it's not something I need to defend-

Quote:
Looking for any suggestions.
Get in the car and look around, since you already live here?

We walk, bike, bus and drive around, thought I'd check out this site to get other suggestions...
That is one of the uses of this site, since I'm already here?

To everyone else, thanks for the other helpful comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 09:01 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,704,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktlund View Post

To 43west87north:

Quote:
We need to move to the Milwaukee area and "bust-out" of New Berlin
New Berlin is part of the Milwaukee area...

Phoenix is part of the United States area...
"Ktlund".
3 posts read 175 times

Me
2,763 posts, read 2,465,882 times

I live on the East Side, near Lake Park

You may not be familiar since you are a whopping 20 miles away in a Milwaukee suburb, but the "East Side" is part of the City of Milwaukee, and the City of Milwaukee is in the "Milwaukee Area", in the State of Wisconsin. Since I have a house in the desert southwest, and, courtesy of Wisconsin's bad weather, spend more than half the year in the desert, that's what I put in the box that says "location". Guess what else? I change my location (physical, as well as what is listed in the "location box") whenever I feel like it, not for your exclusive convenience.

If you think putting "New Berlin" in your location somehow grants you a monopoly on knowledge of the Milwaukee area, consider that you are the one asking the question, and that I have posted 335 times in the Milwaukee forum alone, and have probably answered this kind of question at least 100 other times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktlund View Post
Why can it not be that? I've checked it out... my brother lives there, we visit, eat, play, just don't want to stay...it's not something I need to defend-
You're the one using the word "defend"

If you explain why you don't like it, that reason might rule out suggestions for other areas you might not like for the same reasons. So what don't you like about Wauwatosa? What don't you like about New Berlin? What would you like in a new community? What is prompting you to leave where you are now?

Old 06-22-2012, 10:43 AM

As I stated in my original post, maybe not clearly, our children are adopted, both black, we are white. When we we're in the process of adopting, I now realize I chose to believe what I thought 'could' or "should" work out in living with our kids living where we are at now.

Early on, (our children are now 6 and 9) we realized the importance of living in an area for our children to be with other people of their same race. My original post was about suggestions of places to live in the Milwaukee area that are more diverse. My reasoning for my original post has come from both personal experiences from where we live and much reading and speaking to others in similar families (such as one of the above posts). There are many sites and blogs which are specific to being a transracial adoptee (such as my children) and the effects of growing up in an area where they have been the minority <transracialeyes.com> <adoptivefamiliescircle.com> :tranracial adoption forum. I wanted to keep things simple, so I kept my original post short, mainly to get feedback from others about their experiences or knowledge on different places to live in the city.

You (43N87W) do make a good point, I have my own issues to deal with regarding where I have lived in the past (Evergreen, IL; Town of Brookfield; Waukesha (Downtown), Warren, MI; 28th & Burnham (southside): 23rd & Wisconsin, Milw., Alburqurqee (Sp?), NM; Denver, Co (Capital Hill like Eastside), West Allis (62nd & Mineral and Hwy. 100 & National) and now New Berlin.

Why do I not like New Berlin, besides from relocating for our kids (which in turn I think will help us all as a family), there is a "coldness" to our neighborhood, we have tried to get to know our neighbors, few kids, none on our street with 30 homes. Wauwatosa, I was married to a guy, for 6 months, he walked out and the majority of his 20+'s friends all from Tosa we're unkind (putting it mildly), why, I don't know, I think that they thought I was "nuts," and I was a bit more nuts back then. So, yes, I have some issues. I'll have to work on that.

So, let's see, I forgot the rest of your questions. Though, and it could be me, I took your replies as if I did need to "defend" and yes I'm writing "defend" myself. I see your point, then I also know where my original question was coming from, and did not think I need to go into such detail. Now, I have, and hopefully it will give you better perspective. Also, I did not reply (OP ain't coming back), due to work, kids and I couldn't find this site again, poor excuse, need more computer work! So, now I'm back.

Side note, to the poster who replied to someone's post "compared to what?" I used your words yesterday at a teacher workshop, when someone piped in she thought the district (WAWM) is "getting bad," this was after another teacher stated all 4 of her kids are in the district and so are mine. I used your "compared to what" and it made us all stop and think. Thanks again for the feedback.

Carry on, Katie

Old 06-22-2012, 06:58 PM

8,295 posts, read 23,140,212 times
That's odd I know of 3 black families that live in NB and never had a problem and actually love living there. Not calling you a liar but from my experience the people in NB are pretty accepting to black families.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:41 PM

Interesting to know, have you asked the 3 families you know in New Berlin any thoughts regarding the Federal Law Suit against the city of New Berlin. If you have not, nor your friends, they may be interested in readind the actual court document filed from the Justice Dept.

Thanks for not calling me a "liar" when my comments were specific interactions, and experiences with ours on our St., school and a few other places (not the entire population of New Berlin.

Then again, you may want to skim over the actual lawsuit. The signs put on our Mayors Yard, threats made in reference to his daughter, the 500 plus N.B residents during one of a number of meetings, strongly objecting to what had been past in an open board meeting, with at the time, no objections. Until later, residents heard and then reacted. Here's a statement I heard from the gathering at the library, "We don't want those kinds of people living here." Not sure who, "those kinds of people where?" though it is likely they all knew.

Nice to know the 3 families have never had a problem and love living here.

Justice Department Files Lawsuit Against City of New Berlin ...
Jun 23, 2011 ... WASHINGTON - The Department of Justice announced today that it has filed ... city of New Berlin, Wis., alleging that the city violated the Fair Housing Act by ... said Thomas E. Perez, Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights.
<Justice Department Files Lawsuit Against City of New Berlin, Wisconsin, for Blocking Affordable Housing - Cashed>

Justice Department Settles Lawsuit Against City of New Berlin ...
Apr 11, 2012 ... Justice Department Settles Lawsuit Against City of New Berlin, Wisconsin, for Blocking Affordable Housing. The Department of Justice ...
<USDOJ: Justice Department Settles Lawsuit Against City of New Berlin, Wisconsin, for Blocking Affordable Housing - Cached>

If you cannot link to these, they can be easily found by a google search

Old 06-24-2012, 12:06 AM

Oh boy where to even begin with this one. Yes everyone knows about that case, "those kinds of people" are poor people plain and simple, so let's stop beating around the bush, I have no problem with rich or well off cities not wanting poor people in their city. Should we start just building housing projects in River Hills where the average home price is around $800,000? If I just bought a $500,000 house in NB I wouldn't exactly be thrilled to have low income housing in my city while a lot of low income housing is decent there is a ton that is run by people who don't care and it becomes a housing project. What's wrong with a upscale or higher income communities wanting to keep it that way? If you would propose low income housing in any Milwaukee suburb it might not go over well especially when you were promised a upscale community housing. Not all poor people bring problems with them we all know that but more often than not the more poor people a community has the more problems it has. I'm going to get slayed on my opinions on here but I'm a free market kind of a guy and if Mequon doesn't want to allow half acre lots in it's city then so be it and if New Berlin city residents doesn't want any low income apartments who cares, move on. Just because you don't agree with a communities decision not to allow low income housing it doesn't automatically make them racists or bigots or anti-blackfolk.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:17 AM

Did you read the suit? Yes, everyone knows about that case...here's a summary. Yes, if I were a 'blackfolk' or I wouldn't want to live here either, regardless of my income. How about the units for the seniors, what about 'those folks', are they ok to stay, if they are 'whitefolks'?

New Berlin is part of the Milwaukee-Waukesha Primary Metropolitan Statistical Area (“PMSA”). According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the Milwaukee-Waukesha PMSA is overall the most segregated region in the United States. The Census Bureau’s 2005-2009 American Community Survey 5-year Estimates show that of New Berlin’s approximately 39,000 residents, 95% are white and fewer than 1% are black. Of Milwaukee’s approximately 603,000 residents, 49% are white and 38% are black.

There is a strong need for, and a short supply of, affordable housing in New Berlin and the surrounding housing market areas. New Berlin planning documents recognize the need for “workforce” housing, or housing for those lower-wage workers who work in New Berlin but who live in the surrounding communities. The waiting lists for other income restricted rentals in the CSA, which includes Waukesha and Milwaukee counties, span several years and have thousands of families waiting.

On or about May 4, 2010, the local press reported on the May 3 approval. Immediately afterward, and over the next several weeks, city officials received numerous emails, calls, and other communications from residents of New Berlin, the large majority of whom voiced opposition to the May 3 approval and the MSP project. Some of the opposition was based in part on fear that the prospective tenants would be African American or minority. The Mayor, Aldermen, Plan Commissioners, and staff at DCD were aware that community opposition was based in part on race.

The communications they received over several weeks contained express and implied racial terms that were derogatory and based on stereotypes of African American residents. The communications they received over several weeks contained express and implied racial terms that were derogatory and based on stereotypes of African American residents. These communications referenced “******s,” “white flight,” “crime,” “drugs,” “gangs,” “families with 10 or 15 kids,” of needing “to get a gun,” of “slums,” of not wanting New Berlin to turn into “Milwaukee,” of moving to New Berlin “to get away from the poor people,” of not wanting to provide housing to people “who work but do not live here.”

In the weeks following the May 3 approval, Mayor Chiovatero’s residence was vandalized on several occasions. A sign that read “****** lover” was placed in his yard. “Bigot” was spray painted on his driveway. “Leave or _ _ _” was written on his fence. Mr. Chiovatero and his family received threatening phone calls at his home residence. His children were approached by persons who opposed the Plan Commission vote, his car tires was slashed, and his car windows were shot through. The May 3 approval was covered in the news and in some blogs. A citizen group launched a recall effort of the Mayor and appealed the May 3 approval to the Board of Appeals.

The Mayor wrote an email to a friend stating:

"I am a prisoner in my own home. I have spent several hours a day last week listening and replying to concerned citizens. . . . I was asked NOT to attend two functions this weekend for fear it would distract and cause havoc by my presence. Our City is filled with prejudice and bigoted people who with very few facts are making this project into something evil and degrading. . . . New Berlin is not ready, nor may never be, for a project like this. Unfortunately, I will be doing whatever is in my power to end this project, it will result in lawsuits and making New Berlin a community of bigots,”

The public opposition put significant and sustained pressure on the Mayor, DCD staff, and the Plan Commissioners who voted in favor of the MSP project to find a way to reverse the decision.

On June 7, 2010, the Plan Commission voted unanimously in favor of the Mayor’s motion to reconsider, rescinding the parking waivers. It postponed a revote on the MSP project until the July 12 Plan Commission meeting and gave MSP a chance to submit revised plans.

Not until lawsuits we're filed against the city did changes be made.

Well, as 'everybody knows' though I have not heard the amount we paid out regarding our legal costs, the city is putting aside a $75,000 trust fund to promote affordable housing and integration. And yes, we all know about the "tax credits...etc."!

Hopefully they will keep an eye out for those 1-2 residents who just did some mean old 'anti-black folk' antics.

I'm still glad you know 3 Black families in New Berlin that love it. Though it makes me wonder, I doubt it would surprise them, if they past the Mayors house with a sign in his yard "****** Lover"; "Bigot"; "Leave or ___", how much love they would have for our city.

So, are you saying they are racists, bigots, anti-blackfolk, just because? Regardless how one feels about the housing, such tactics make the statement loud and clear. I read the articles, blogs, posts and on, very little did I see denouncing what had been done.

If you want I can write down, well, I lost count, the ignorant, racist comments said directly to my children, myself, or as a family. Though I actually find that to be more courageous than the endless glares, evil stares, we'd rather know up front whose racists and even in their ignorance at least let us know we won't be having any picnics together in the near future.

To end on a happy note, yesterday, 124th & National, a young black woman's car stalled in a lane near the intersection, 3 of us stopped and we pushed her car to a safe parking spot. Two of us waited until her father arrived. There still is hope and good.

So, time to move on, then again, one of the gifts of living in the US, we can move away from the evil that lives in those residents if New Berlin.

Last edited by Ktlund; 06-24-2012 at 02:35 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 06-24-2012, 02:55 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,704,782 times
I'm still not certain what the objective of your thread is. Are you looking for neighborhood recommendations, or are you here to cast aspersions on the individuals of an entire city? Why are you offended by the idea of black people who like living in New Berlin?

Perhaps if white residents of New Berlin weren't so offended by the idea that black people could actually like living in their community, it wouldn't be the Disneyland for racists, that you have described it to be.

Last edited by 43north87west; 06-24-2012 at 03:03 PM..

Old 06-24-2012, 03:04 PM

I haven't asked them specifically about this issue of low income housing but since they are very well off black people my guess it that they are not fond of low income housing as well, I'll ask though.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:33 AM

I'm not certain of what the objective of my thread is anymore. My OP's intent was looking for diverse areas to live in or around the city of Milwaukee. I must of sent up some red flags. I don't have the time to dissect my comments. I'm I the white resident of New Berlin you are referring to (??), I'm not at all offended by "the idea of black people actually like living in their community", is not that what we would want for one another to like where we live.

Yes, neighborhood recommendations, that was what I originally was looking for, though after, if I recall, every line I wrote, you came back with a question and some with questions to questions. Your intentions may be well. Your 2800 posts/ 2.5 million reads and a 2600 reputation # with a gold star medal and lots of bright green squares is impressive, not really sure why?

I got what I needed from some good solid previous posts. My mistake was not leaving it at that. I must commend you and have a "star" on me, for your web you weave, I jumped right in. Interestingly, I do not recall you mentioning any recommendations, but then again we we're intently trying to figure me out. Guess what, I'm the same old me.

Another star: right again, "the OP aint coming back..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee