Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 7,435 times

Advertisements

G'day (LOL),

My wife and i have recently moved from Sydney to Milwaukee and have found it the same.... BUT so very very different from our old Sydney lifestyle (if you know what I mean).

We have just hit our 7 month wall and are both really starting to miss home... this posed a question for us... Is there and Aussie or English presence in Milwaukee?

I have seen a few Australian posts... but does anyone know if there is a strong, heck any 25-40 yo Australian or Pommy presence in this town?

Look forward to your response.... if any?

Aussie2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 09:38 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
I have no idea what kind of Aussie or English presence there is in Mke. But if this board doesn't yield many responses, you might try contacting the faculty at UWM and Marquette who conduct study abroad programs to Australia and England; they might know of a local network for you to tap into. The English Dept. at the local universities also might have some Brits and Australians who have knowledge of the local scene. And if no group or network seems to exist, you can always start your own organization and publicize around the city; I wouldn't be surprised if there were people like you who would like to be part of a local Aussie or Brit network.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:51 AM

448 posts, read 1,819,551 times
Probably more Brits than Aussies here. I can't say I know of any Aussies. A friend is a British prof here but she is out of the country for another half year. There used to be a grocery store that catered to English foods but an Oyster bar recently moved in. I'm not sure if the grocery relocated.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:02 AM

395 posts, read 1,860,436 times
If I think of every single person I know who lives in Milwaukee, both professional, social, and family relations, I can count three Brits and one Kiwi.

I don't know where you can get vegemite around here, but I would recommend Discount Liquor on 51st & Oklahoma for the area's best selection of Cooper's and other Australian brews. Unfortunately VB is not sold in the States as far as I know.

From what I understand Australia is a big "pub" country where the local watering hole is woven into daily life. Fortunately for you, you've landed in what is likely the most "pub"-oriented city in the States.

I can't think of any one place where Brits and Aussies are known to "hang out," although being a metro of 1.5 million there's bound to be enough of them around to form some kind of facebook group.

If not, you have a world city just an hour train ride from your doorstep.

Last edited by Milwaukee Ronnie; 09-28-2007 at 08:49 AM..

Old 09-28-2007, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 7,414 times
Default Aussie's for you

My sister is married to an Aussie. After many years in Milwaukee they only just recently moved back to Melbourne. Through them I learned there is a quite a fair presence of Aussie's, Brits, Irish and New Zealanders.

When was the last time you played Aussie Rules Football? Join a team!! Or just check the schedule and go to some of the games/outings posted. You'll meet some great people. www.milwaukeebombers.com

If you are looking to quench your thirst...Definitely head over to the Brit Inn in Shorewood on Oakland. It's a good hang ala British Pub style and also a place you're sure to find some friends. Another option - Paddy's Pub on the East Side ( I think it's on Farewell Ave) for an awesome Irish welcome.

Good luck and welcome to the city!

Old 09-28-2007, 09:55 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
There's also John Hawke's Pub downtown, but don't know how many Brits go there....

Old 11-12-2007, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 7,352 times
Default Aussies and poms.

Hi,

Im from Perth Australia, and i can say just in my little area alone their is around 25 Poms, and 2 Aussies, plus a few Welsh, scots and irish thrown in, we hang out on water street at the weekends, such as Cornerbar, Dukes, tequilla margaritas, their is a british run pub which is frequented by every Brit in thne northern suburbs, aptly named the "Britt Inn" which is 5 mins drive from UWM campus. We all tend to go to Cush on North avenue on thursdays, most of us are aged between 18-28. A lot go to Cardinal Stritch (including myself) playing soccer, which is in Glendale, 2 mins north of Bayshore mall.

Feel free to contact me further if you need more details or would like to be introduced. Also cornerbar is big with rugby fans...ok their American but you can forgive them this time

slother87athotmaildotcom

Old 01-25-2010, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 6,396 times
Default Fellow Aussie here

Hi,

I too have been wondering where all the Australians are. I've been living in New Berlin (20 mins from downtown Milwaukee) for the past year (came here on a K2 at the end of 08).

Are you doing anything for Australia day? It would be great to get a group together if we could...

Amy

Old 01-25-2010, 01:28 PM

319 posts, read 634,224 times
Try The Dogs *******s up on Murray (maybe the corner of Murray and North). I've never been, but I met the owner at another bar and he's a Brit.

edit: Apparently British slang words that start with the three letters Bol are censored....I'm sure you get the picture.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:55 PM

2 posts, read 7,541 times
Never been to the Dogs whatever, will check it out. I'm in Bayview too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee