Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,195 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Milwaukee this summer for work (working downtown), and am looking for some insight on where to live. I am a young professional in my mid-20s and will be moving with my fiance - we are looking for a young-ish, vibrant, and walkable community. A location with shops/local restaurants/bars/coffee shops is ideal. I know next to nothing about the city, but I've done a bit of research and Bayview, Third Ward, and the Eastside all seem like good options - I was wondering about the similarities/differences of each and if one of these areas rises above the others. Price isn't a huge concern, but, all else equal, I would definitely take the more affordable option. If you have any suggestions about other areas I should consider, I'd be happy to hear about that, as well.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 11:55 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
Bayview will likely be the least expensive option however personally, I am not a fan of that neighborhood. I lived their for 4 years & just never connected to the area. If I were you, I would choose Third Ward or the east side. Third Ward is going to most likely be the most expensive option, lots of condos. There's a lot of shopping in the area, a lot of younger people living in that area. East side is my favorite, specifically Brady St. There's a good mix of people, restaurants bars & coffee shops (Brewed being my favorite) & I don't know, it's just my place that I hang out. Let's put it this way, Third Ward has a more polished feel, Brady St a little more gritty. Anything more specific you want to know just ask.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:28 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,447,772 times
The 3rd ward and the East Side have already reached their respective high points while Bayview is still "up and coming." Bayview is the least expensive, but its not as nice as the East Side or 3rd ward. In terms of "niceness," the 3rd ward is the best but most expensive. The East Side is nice but is a little younger and less posh but still very active.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:23 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Another vote for the Third Ward, it's an upscale warehouse district and is more yuppish. Brady St my second choice and I would chose to close to Brady but stay south of Brady St, south of Brady st is less college-ish IMO and nice houses and apt buildings.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:26 PM

283 posts, read 434,798 times
I live on the east side, and while it is nice, it's nowhere near as 'posh-metro' feeling as Third ward. Nicer places in East side are older professionals and the night life seems stronger in the Third ward (we haven't gotten out much yet).

Brady street has a lot of neat character to it as it once was a hippie center in Milwaukee, so you've got that mixed with places like the Roman Coin that have been there for 100+/- years as well as some really nice restaurants, bars, local hardware stores, and more.

Third ward is all new development, so it's much more planned and 'newish' and 'clean' looking. It is very vibrant though as we always see people out when driving through that part of town. Plus, you're just as close to downtown as the East side.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:19 AM

467 posts, read 1,891,370 times
If you prefer a 'hood with a more residential feel, try the East Side or Bay View. If you want a grittier, more urban environment, the Third Ward is highly recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
south of Brady st is less college-ish IMO and nice houses and apt buildings.
I've always liked the part of the East Side around Knapp and Astor. It has a more upscale feel, attractive housing, and proximity to Brady St. and Lake Michigan.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:52 PM

78 posts, read 229,485 times
Personally, I would prefer Bay View (and I lived there for a couple years.)

The Third Ward is, by far, going to be the most expensive of any of the locations. The housing in that area is all converted warehouse buildings and newer apartment/condo complexes. For all intents and purposes, you're "downtown."

"East Side" is a sort of general description for anything north of about Juneau or Ogden all the way up to the Village of Shorewood. I would be OK living south of North Avenue in one of the newer apartment buildings, if the building has parking included. Street parking is a nightmare on the East Side. And, the downside--at least for me--to the East Side is UWM undergrads. Since you are in your mid-20s that might not be a dealbreaker for you, at least in the short term. I'm in my 30s and just don't care to LIVE in the middle of college rentals/parties/etc.

Bay View is a good mix of young professionals, hipsters, families, city employees, etc. Great neighborhood restaurants and bars along KK and tucked into some of the side streets. Maybe a 3 minute drive up KK/1st St into the Third Ward/Downtown. Best of both worlds.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:38 PM

283 posts, read 434,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
If you prefer a 'hood with a more residential feel, try the East Side or Bay View. If you want a grittier, more urban environment, the Third Ward is highly recommended.

I've always liked the part of the East Side around Knapp and Astor. It has a more upscale feel, attractive housing, and proximity to Brady St. and Lake Michigan.
I didn't feel third ward was gritty at all.

That area is nice too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzou65201 View Post
Personally, I would prefer Bay View (and I lived there for a couple years.)

The Third Ward is, by far, going to be the most expensive of any of the locations. The housing in that area is all converted warehouse buildings and newer apartment/condo complexes. For all intents and purposes, you're "downtown."

"East Side" is a sort of general description for anything north of about Juneau or Ogden all the way up to the Village of Shorewood. I would be OK living south of North Avenue in one of the newer apartment buildings, if the building has parking included. Street parking is a nightmare on the East Side. And, the downside--at least for me--to the East Side is UWM undergrads. Since you are in your mid-20s that might not be a dealbreaker for you, at least in the short term. I'm in my 30s and just don't care to LIVE in the middle of college rentals/parties/etc.

Bay View is a good mix of young professionals, hipsters, families, city employees, etc. Great neighborhood restaurants and bars along KK and tucked into some of the side streets. Maybe a 3 minute drive up KK/1st St into the Third Ward/Downtown. Best of both worlds.
Street parking definitely is up there with big city parking issues unless you have parking in your building.

I think the college crowd also depends on what building you're in. We have nothing but professionals in ours.

Bay View sounds really nice. I don't think we've even driven through it yet, but it's going on our 'places to explore' list.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:52 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamirD View Post

That area is nice too.
Street parking definitely is up there with big city parking issues unless you have parking in your building.

I think the college crowd also depends on what building you're in. We have nothing but professionals in ours.

Bay View sounds really nice. I don't think we've even driven through it yet, but it's going on our 'places to explore' list.
You get more students living closer to UWM, north of North Ave. There is a mix of ages & types living closer to Brady St.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:54 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,447,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamirD View Post
By "gritty" he means lots of old buildings that have been restored. Old factories and warehouses being used as apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee