Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 04:11 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times

Advertisements

Pearl Jam, completely overrated. I put Queen and Pearl Jam and the Black Crows as some of the most overrated bands ever, oh and Cheap Trick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 11:00 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Pearl Jam, completely overrated. I put Queen and Pearl Jam and the Black Crows as some of the most overrated bands ever, oh and Cheap Trick.
Pearl Jam? Maybe...
Black Crows, Cheap Trick... Yep...
Queen?

Not a chance.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:27 AM

52 posts, read 104,794 times
AFI at Summerfest in a rainstorm. One of my best memories of Milwaukee.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:45 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Actually, the most overrated group of all time is The Beatles.

Anyway back to the topic, Depeche Mode too. I think 3 times? I've always loved them.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:52 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,532,210 times
I've seen Foo Fighters, Depeche Mode, etc. Those bands and those (big) venues just aren't my thing. I mean, I like a few early Depeche Mode songs and they were OK 15-20 years ago at Summerfest or whatever, but music just doesn't have the same visceral impact for me if I'm squeezed behind 10,000 people, looking at a band on a big screen and listening on cavernous speakers. To each his own, I guess.

Cheap Trick has only had a couple hits, not sure how they could be overrated. Keep in mind that they were originally from Rockford, but broke out in Milwaukee. The band moved here and early on had a Milwaukee vocalist (who later went on to form popular local band Bad Boy), they had a Wisconsin manager (legendary Ken Adamany), etc. Because they're basically Milwaukee locals, you hear way more about them than you would pretty much everywhere else (except maybe Japan and a few other countries where they are huge). Side note: Badfinger also spent time living in Milwaukee during the 70s, so along with them and Cheap Trick and locals like Shivvers and RPMs and Orbits, and Tony's Tygers members touring in the 70s versions of 1910 Fruitgum/Ohio Express, Milwaukee's power pop scene in the 70s was arguably the best in the world.

Unless you think the Beatles were the greatest band in history, they are by definition "overrated" I guess, because critics generally place them as the best ever, they sold the most, etc. I'm not a huge fan, but in terms of impact, well, they were giants for sure. And Badfinger, Cheap Trick, and the rest of the Milwaukee power pop scene would certainly have agreed.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:06 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
i've loved seeing Cheap Trick live since '79/80 and have seen them anywhere from headline tours at the old Colosseum here to bars/clubs and back to arenas. I always just took them as a good R&R band, sure they had some radio hits (a couple classics) and have had good album sales over the years, but for just a fun live show they never were off all the times I saw them.
That said, for whatever reason they've seemed to have as many "greatest hits" packages as actual album releases, which after awhile does get a little old. And come to think of it, while they put on good shows in the big arenas (esp at what seemed to be their height of popularity here in 80's), i enjoyed them best at the clubs. Which for many bands may be the best way to see/hear their music.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:14 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,532,210 times
For me, it's the way to see every band!

A friend of mine saw the 'Stones in a small LA club ("secret" show warm-up) a few years back, and just like in a small club/bar punk show, he was up front for most of it, jumped onstage, sang part of a song with Mick, etc. Much different from when I saw them at Camp Randall 20 or so years ago, when they looked like ants and there was no beer sold and people couldn't smoke and there was that booming echo that made all the sound seem a little "off" and so on. Bleh. "I thought this was Maaaaad town," said Mick disgustedly, haha. Most bands prefer a smaller club to an arena, beyond the obvious financial impact of the arena, and you can see it in their performace.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
For me, it's the way to see every band!

i'd say the only time i may disagree is for bands that include a large stageshow. From the old Rush tours (saw them in 78), to Kiss to even TSO's holiday tours, certain bands offer a full 'experience' that while their music in a small and perhaps stripped down format would just rock a club, sometimes just sitting back and being blown away visually as well is worth the arena admission.

just my .02 of course.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:30 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
i'd say the only time i may disagree is for bands that include a large stageshow. From the old Rush tours (saw them in 78), to Kiss to even TSO's holiday tours, certain bands offer a full 'experience' that while their music in a small and perhaps stripped down format would just rock a club, sometimes just sitting back and being blown away visually as well is worth the arena admission.

just my .02 of course.
That's how it is with NIN, their stage set was fantastic. Even better if you smoke some herbage. Pearl Jam's was good too. Simple but effective.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
That's how it is with NIN, their stage set was fantastic. Even better if you smoke some herbage. Pearl Jam's was good too. Simple but effective.
saw NIN along with the Jim Rose(?) side show and Marilyn Manson (early on) here in Madison some years ago. They were great live, loved the visuals on the big screen during "Hurt".

Wasnt my usual "crowd" per say but that was quite the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee