Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 05:35 PM

92 posts, read 235,925 times

Advertisements

I feel like Milwaukee is definitely lacking in terms of urban art. I look around and see a lot of empty walls that could be really improved upon with like a mural. Tell me what you think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 07:58 AM

253 posts, read 394,347 times
Smile Great Post/Question

This is a slightly controversial topic in Milwaukee. Although this article is old:

Mary Louise Schumacher - Alderman, cultural group clash over south side mural

The issue seems to be urban art v. graffiti-like art. There is a difference (I do recognize it as art) some do not see graffiti-like murals in the same light. Also, location means everything. So we should think about whether or not the particular mural fits the neighborhood or area.

My favorite murals have always been the one on the side of the former Inner City Arts Council Building on North Avenue and the Esperanza Unida International Building. I really would like to see the Inner City Arts Council mural refreshed!

I totally embrace the idea. It gives youth in the community something positive to do in the summer, and helps them discover their own talent. Not only that, but relationship building and social skills!

Milwaukee Mural Map | Our Milwaukee, Our Murals

Are you an artist? Do you have plans to create murals around the city?

Old 12-23-2014, 08:23 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,903 times
Do they still have the whale wall by the freeway? I always liked that one.

Remember the giant blue shirt plan? Hah

Old 12-23-2014, 08:31 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Do they still have the whale wall by the freeway? I always liked that one.
Nope, that was demolished a long time ago, like 2006.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:46 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Nope, that was demolished a long time ago, like 2006.
Yeah I avoided the freeways there at all costs.
I think the orange "thing" on Wisconsin Ave was always a bit odd. Especially when the calatrava went up... When traveling East on Wisco Ave, the orange thing obstructs what would otherwise be a flawless view.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:12 AM

253 posts, read 394,347 times
Quote:
I think the orange "thing" on Wisconsin Ave was always a bit odd. Especially when the calatrava went up... When traveling East on Wisco Ave, the orange thing obstructs what would otherwise be a flawless view.

The sculpture is called 'The Calling'

Hating and loving Mark di Suvero's 'The Calling'

I never really paid much attention to it, and the placement of it never bothered me.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:12 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
I actually like that sculpture now because it perfectly lines up with the brise soleil of the art museum.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,307 times
No, it does not still exist. The courthouse annex itself was removed and the whales came down with it.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:08 PM

92 posts, read 235,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomkay View Post
This is a slightly controversial topic in Milwaukee. Although this article is old:

Mary Louise Schumacher - Alderman, cultural group clash over south side mural

The issue seems to be urban art v. graffiti-like art. There is a difference (I do recognize it as art) some do not see graffiti-like murals in the same light. Also, location means everything. So we should think about whether or not the particular mural fits the neighborhood or area.

My favorite murals have always been the one on the side of the former Inner City Arts Council Building on North Avenue and the Esperanza Unida International Building. I really would like to see the Inner City Arts Council mural refreshed!

I totally embrace the idea. It gives youth in the community something positive to do in the summer, and helps them discover their own talent. Not only that, but relationship building and social skills!

Milwaukee Mural Map | Our Milwaukee, Our Murals

Are you an artist? Do you have plans to create murals around the city?
Yes I am an artist! I'd love to do mural work; however I'm not that brilliant. I want Milwaukee to have the nicest murals to be found and to do so we need a true professional. We need a professional artist that creates approved urban art for this wonderful city and makes you go "now that is art!"

Old 01-27-2015, 06:09 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
I think urban art is as tacky as tattoos. If anything, Milwaukee needs LESS of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
View detailed profiles of: