Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 10:01 PM

218 posts, read 342,230 times

Advertisements

Now i know about 17% of Milwaukee is hispanic, moslty mexicans and puerto ricans. But i would like to know what neighborhoods would you mostly find the hispanic population, and do mexicans and ricans share the same neighborhoods or mostly segregate themselves? And is there any significant number of any other hispanic nationalities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 06:39 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
The largest Hispanic neighborhood is on Milwaukee's south side-- generally, south of the Menomonee Valley, west of S. 1st St., north of Oklahoma Ave., and east of the city of West Milwaukee. Within that large area, the greatest concentration is in the old Polish neighborhood south of the Valley, west of I-94/43, north of Oklahoma Ave., and east of Muskego Ave. Significant streets include National Ave., Greenfield Ave., Lincoln Ave., s. 16th St., and a few others.

//www.city-data.com/city/Milwaukee-Wisconsin.html

This population is mostly Mexican, but there are significant showings of Puerto Ricans, too, especially in the neighborhoods near the United Community Center. There are also small groups of people from other Hispanic countries, including Peru, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Colombia, and Costa Rica. I don't know about numbers relative to the Mex/PR population, but there are a couple of Peruvian restaurants (and a Peruvian festival every year), a Salvadorean restaurant, an open-and-closed Dominican place, and there used to be a Costa Rican restaurant as well as a Colombian bakery.

On the city-data map, you'll see that there's also a significant Hispanic population on the East Side, west of the Milwaukee River (south of Capitol, west of the river, north of North Ave., and east of I-43). These Hispanics are primarily Puerto Rican, and that community has been around for decades.

There are lots of Hispanics--Mexicans and otherwise--scattered all over the city, too, with many living near UWM on the East Side.

Outside of the city limits, many Hispanics (mostly people of Mexican heritage) live in the cities of West Milwaukee and West Allis. These cities pretty mjch blend in with Milwaukee's south side.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:46 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
^ Excellent summary

Mostly Mexican, for sure. But there are definitely other groups, especially Puerto Ricans. I go eat at El Salvador (papusas!) on a regular basis.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:52 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
I met several Cubans in MKE too. Not sure if there is a community. There were a number relocated and housed at WI army bases in the late 70s/80s Ft McCoy I think.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:52 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
The largest Hispanic neighborhood is on Milwaukee's south side-- generally, south of the Menomonee Valley, west of S. 1st St., north of Oklahoma Ave., and east of the city of West Milwaukee. Within that large area, the greatest concentration is in the old Polish neighborhood south of the Valley, west of I-94/43, north of Oklahoma Ave., and east of Muskego Ave. Significant streets include National Ave., Greenfield Ave., Lincoln Ave., s. 16th St., and a few others.

//www.city-data.com/city/Milwaukee-Wisconsin.html

This population is mostly Mexican, but there are significant showings of Puerto Ricans, too, especially in the neighborhoods near the United Community Center. There are also small groups of people from other Hispanic countries, including Peru, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Colombia, and Costa Rica. I don't know about numbers relative to the Mex/PR population, but there are a couple of Peruvian restaurants (and a Peruvian festival every year), a Salvadorean restaurant, an open-and-closed Dominican place, and there used to be a Costa Rican restaurant as well as a Colombian bakery.

On the city-data map, you'll see that there's also a significant Hispanic population on the East Side, west of the Milwaukee River (south of Capitol, west of the river, north of North Ave., and east of I-43). These Hispanics are primarily Puerto Rican, and that community has been around for decades.

There are lots of Hispanics--Mexicans and otherwise--scattered all over the city, too, with many living near UWM on the East Side.

Outside of the city limits, many Hispanics (mostly people of Mexican heritage) live in the cities of West Milwaukee and West Allis. These cities pretty mjch blend in with Milwaukee's south side.
Good summary except I disagree with the bold statement ^. Lived on the east side 2007-2012 and I would not say that Hispanics have a real footprint at all. Lots of students, orthodox jews, scholars, young families...sure.....but not Hispanics.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Good summary except I disagree with the bold statement ^. Lived on the east side 2007-2012 and I would not say that Hispanics have a real footprint at all. Lots of students, orthodox jews, scholars, young families...sure.....but not Hispanics.
Oh, they're there--most of them are students (primarily grad students), a few of them are staff and faculty at UWM. There are quite a few in Shorewood, too, and I ought to have mentioned that.

They're not there in big numbers, but it's an interesting mix of people from Spain, Argentina, Chile, Venezuela, and other places that aren't represented so much on the south side.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:56 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,002,695 times
The above mentioned is a long standing Puerto Rican(not mexican) neighborhood in the Riverwest/Holton St area. It centers around Center and Holton down to an area just south of North and goes in 3 blocks or so to the east. It's been there for at least the past 40 years. There is a PR store on Holton and Brown with all authentic Puerto Rican food.

There is no other Hispanic area on the East Side, with the exception of the above mentioned in Riverwest.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:04 PM

Just to be clear (in case this confuses the OP), the Hispanic students/staff in the UWM area are scattered and do not constitute an identifiable Hispanic neighborhood. They make up probably 3-5% of the population in that area, and not all of them speak Spanish or identify strongly with their heritage culture. Around 8% of UWM students are Hispanic, and though many live on/near campus, many commute from other parts of town. The student area around Marquette U may have a similar profile and demographic, but more probably live on/near campus.

As Allan points out, the only truly Hispanic (Puerto Rican) neighborhood on the East Side is the Riverwest/Holton area.

Perhaps I should also mention that there is a significant Mexican population in the city of Waukesha, to the west of Milwaukee.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:47 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,483 times
Quote:
Oh, they're there--most of them are students (primarily grad students), a few of them are staff and faculty at UWM.
Still seems like a small footprint - the area is so densely populated with transplants going to UWM that they just blend into the mixing pot. My $0.02.

Quote:
As Allan points out, the only truly Hispanic (Puerto Rican) neighborhood on the East Side is the Riverwest/Holton area.
Depends what you call the East Side. I consider the East Side anything north of downtown and East of the Milwaukee river.Google considers the East Side as the area between North Ave and E Ogden Ave. Hipsters consider the East Side as the area between Brady St. and North Ave. We need to pick one and stick with it!

Old 06-24-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Still seems like a small footprint - the area is so densely populated with transplants going to UWM that they just blend into the mixing pot. My $0.02.
I basically agree, but what I'm sort of saying is that for certain kinds of Hispanics (people from the Southern Cone, Spain, etc.), it's in the East Side/UWM area--and not the Hispanic south side--where you're more likely to encounter them. The Spaniards and Argentineans I know may make a run to El Rey on the south side once in a while, but they don't live there.

But yeah, their overall footprint is small if you're not seeking them out.

Quote:
Depends what you call the East Side. I consider the East Side anything north of downtown and East of the Milwaukee river.Google considers the East Side as the area between North Ave and E Ogden Ave. Hipsters consider the East Side as the area between Brady St. and North Ave. We need to pick one and stick with it!
A lot of people include Riverwest, maybe because it's east of I-43, or perhaps because so many students live there. I dunno--I'm fine with it being on the East Side. But I live in Bay View, which now seems to stretch all the way down to Cudahy for some people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee